Advice for summer internship

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jjlaw

Advice for summer internship

Postby jjlaw » Mon May 07, 2012 12:17 pm

So I'm interning in chambers this summer, and I really want to make a good impression and get the most out of it (who doesn't). My problem is, I've had work experience (~3 years) and summer internships before, but I've never been able to make a good connection with my employers. Not that I'm a complete fuck up, but I never seem to be able to establish rapport very well. I think my problem is that I'm too shy and am AWFUL at making small talk. I also have this mentality like I'm still a kid, and inexperienced, and my boss knows a shit ton more, so I shouldn't make any assumptions about anything. But not speaking up seems to come off like I don't care about my job. Does anyone have any tips on how I can be less awkward at my summer internship? TIA

Re: Advice for summer internship

Postby 20130312 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Be more confident. Do the small talk. Ask for more work. Go out to lunch with coworkers. Be a person, for God's sake. So many mindless drones at my company.

jjlaw

Re: Advice for summer internship

Postby jjlaw » Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Yeah, i don't know what it is about the work environment. i'm usually a very normal person, but i guess i am biased. maybe i have taken my jobs too seriously, and need to just chillaxxxx.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”