Would this upset you ? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Assumpsit

New

Would this upset you ?

Post by Assumpsit » Mon May 07, 2012 3:52 am

Last edited by Assumpsit on Tue May 07, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Would this upset you ?

Post by bk1 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:56 am

Not enough to make a thread about it.

Assumpsit

New

Post by Assumpsit » Mon May 07, 2012 4:03 am

bk187 wrote:Not enough to make a thread about it.
Is it because you yourself got extra time for "A case of the Mondays" ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:07 am

Assumpsit wrote:Is it because you yourself got extra time for "A case of the Mondays" ?
I got them to turn all my 3 hour finals into 24 hour take home tests.

Assumpsit

New

Post by Assumpsit » Mon May 07, 2012 4:12 am

Funny how the opinions of TLS differ from those people in their class directly competing for grades 8) 8) 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon May 07, 2012 4:17 am

Assumpsit wrote:Funny how the opinions of TLS differ from those people in their class directly competing for grades 8) 8) 8)
People get extra time on exams at every school. It is annoying as 1L when grades are the be all, end all. Everyone wants to be at the top of the pile and any perceived advantage by another student is a cause for extra stress. There are a ton of TLS threads with pages and pages of arguing over extra time for ADD. Bottom line, by the time your a 3L, you will be happy you can finish your exams quicker and get to the bar faster.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon May 07, 2012 4:19 am

Assumpsit wrote:Funny how the opinions of TLS differ from those people in their class directly competing for grades 8) 8) 8)
Well your evidence is "he FBs all day." Brah the only time FB might hurt my wrists is after SB bikibi pics get poasted bro. Cmon.

Also:
Assumpsit wrote:B. Almost everyone has it around this time.
lol no they don't you moran

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Mon May 07, 2012 4:27 am

Yeah, I don't care because extra time doesn't mean better grade. It can help on a horse-race issue spotter but that really depends on the professor and the test.

There are a couple people in my section that get more time. I actually know for a fact that two of them were at least bottom third last semester. I am not sure if it had anything to do with time but their grades make me think they may really need the extra time.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:41 am

Sounds like some bullshit. It'd be awesome if the extra time was noted on their transcript.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon May 07, 2012 4:56 am

I was just diagnosed with carpal tunnel.

OP:
1. Facebook has nothing to do with carpal tunnel. Even gchat doesn't really make much of a difference because waiting for a reply, I relax/rest my wrists. What does bother me is constant extension of my wrists that I get from typing constantly (taking notes in class or writing an exam answer).
2. Carpal tunnel hurts really badly. Badly enough that despite prescription painkillers and anti-inflammatory meds, I was in tears typing my first exam. Had I had a break, it would have been much less painful and distracting.
3. It isn't just about pain; it is about time lost due to wearing a splint (makes typing difficult and slow) and time lost doing stretches. They aren't cute preventative stretches. They're required if I want to be able to use the hand at all.
4. Consider that that person has likely also struggled to type their outline and do practice tests, too.

Tl;dr: think more. Don't be a douchetruck.

Assumpsit

New

Post by Assumpsit » Mon May 07, 2012 5:00 am

Last edited by Assumpsit on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon May 07, 2012 5:02 am

Assumpsit wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:
People get extra time on exams at every school. It is annoying as 1L when grades are the be all, end all. Everyone wants to be at the top of the pile and any perceived advantage by another student is a cause for extra stress. There are a ton of TLS threads with pages and pages of arguing over extra time for ADD. Bottom line, by the time your a 3L, you will be happy you can finish your exams quicker and get to the bar faster.
I'm not exactly distraught over it and it doesn't even have an impact on me at all. Just trying to understand how someone could claim this and still feel okay with themselves at the end of the day knowing they just got more time than all of their classmates because of wrist discomfort.
It's not just wrist discomfort. It's strenuous, abnormal activity that could require surgery and physical therapy to remedy.

Assumpsit

New

Post by Assumpsit » Mon May 07, 2012 5:05 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon May 07, 2012 5:07 am

I recommend circulating a petition and giving it to the administration if it really bothers you that much. Make sure to get at least 75% of your class to sign it. This may require creating a FB group or hitting the listserv a couple times

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 am

Assumpsit wrote:
Oh , come on. I know carpal tunnel is BAD from personal experience during LS finals week. Yes, if you can't type, its cool. But this person CAN type and does copious outside of school for fun, without going into too much detail. Brace and shooting pain, been there. But never once did I think I should ask for time and a half.
I don't think you should play doctor and decide whether they can or cannot type safely for an extended period of time without breaks?
At my school you can't ask for ten or fifteen minutes extra, you must at least do time and a half. I don't see any problem with asking for the smallest addition allowed to allow time for breaks and stretches.

Assumpsit

New

Post by Assumpsit » Mon May 07, 2012 5:13 am

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Mon May 07, 2012 11:29 am

Seriously gtfo yourself. Whatever "edge" they get is not going to amount to much in the end. I used to be really jealous of a few people in my section that I know have test time waivers. Now that I'm a 3L, I can see their names never made it to the Honors list. If folks ask for accommodations, that does not equate that they will get better grades. Can you imagine an untimed test? Holy shit how awesome; and yet those folks still can't get a B or better. In the end it ends up not mattering. Focus on you, and how to give yourself the best test day possible.

The school will not back down from giving accommodations, they have to by law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Mon May 07, 2012 11:41 am

How much does one have to type or write to get carpal tunnel?

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon May 07, 2012 11:45 am

Too bad you can't get an extension for butt-hurt.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 am

rad lulz wrote:Brah the only time FB might hurt my wrists is after SB bikibi pics get poasted bro. Cmon.
lol'd

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:09 pm

3|ink wrote:Too bad you can't get an extension for butt-hurt.
This

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYC2014

Bronze

Post by NYC2014 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:14 pm

I get more upset about ADD time extensions.

Fake illness (poor self-control) = huge advantage on extremely important test. Sense, it does not make.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon May 07, 2012 12:33 pm

The level of retarded in this thread is staggering. Carpal tunnel is not something everyone has at finals you stupid fucking nitwit. And ADD isn't poor self control. What is this 1945?

The people who get extra time on exams by and large get no advantage out of it. I'd rather do my exam in three hours than four and a half with these: --ImageRemoved--

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Mon May 07, 2012 12:48 pm

No. It wouldn't upset me.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon May 07, 2012 12:49 pm

NYC2014 wrote:I get more upset about ADD time extensions.

Fake illness (poor self-control) = huge advantage on extremely important test. Sense, it does not make.
:|

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”