Super reckless murder vs. Reckless manslaughter - MPC

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Charles Barkley

Super reckless murder vs. Reckless manslaughter - MPC

Postby Charles Barkley » Sun May 06, 2012 7:26 pm

A conscious disregard manifesting an extreme indifference to human life can result in murder under MPC. However, mere reckless homicide can also constitute manslaughter under the MPC.

Can someone explain the difference to me? Perhaps w/ an example of when a reckless homicide would not be "super reckless"

igo2northwestern

Re: Super reckless murder vs. Reckless manslaughter - MPC

Postby igo2northwestern » Sun May 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:A conscious disregard manifesting an extreme indifference to human life can result in murder under MPC. However, mere reckless homicide can also constitute manslaughter under the MPC.

Can someone explain the difference to me? Perhaps w/ an example of when a reckless homicide would not be "super reckless"

consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that death will result (definition of recklessness) - e.g. driving drunk or texting while driving

extreme indifference to human life - e.g. having a track record for drunk-driving-killing and still getting wasted while driving

It's a difference in degree, and a court might also consider other offenses. So if someone (who is not insane) locks up a baby with a tiger for kicks n giggles + has a bunch of other similar offenses, a court might find that s/he has exhibited an extreme indifference to human life in the present crime.

Hope this helps, I took crim last semester and I don't remember everything. Just remember to argue both sides if the crime can feasibly be classified under extreme indiff.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun May 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Damn, scooped.

I guess I'll just add that, when I first read the thread title, I thought this was a C&F question.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:24 pm

igo2northwestern wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:A conscious disregard manifesting an extreme indifference to human life can result in murder under MPC. However, mere reckless homicide can also constitute manslaughter under the MPC.

consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that death will result (definition of recklessness) - e.g. driving drunk or texting while driving

extreme indifference to human life - e.g. having a track record for drunk-driving-killing and still getting wasted while driving

It's a difference in degree, and a court might also consider other offenses. So if someone (who is not insane) locks up a baby with a tiger for kicks n giggles + has a bunch of other similar offenses, a court might find that s/he has exhibited an extreme indifference to human life in the present crime.

Hope this helps, I took crim last semester and I don't remember everything. Just remember to argue both sides if the crime can feasibly be classified under extreme indiff.

Pretty much this.

Recklessness = Manslaughter
Gross Recklessness = Murder

Basically under gross recklessness the chance of death has to be pretty high (e.g. Russian roulette, driving into a crowd, firing into a crowd, etc).

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sun May 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Good stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”