Barbri or Themis?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Barbri or Themis?

Take Barbri if you don't want to fail the bar
40%
Take Themis and save a few bucks
60%

Total votes: 20

Wireless

Barbri or Themis?

Postby Wireless » Sat May 05, 2012 6:16 pm

The perennial question... Will I still pass the bar if I use Themis?

I would like to hear from people who have used either company's materials. I will be taking the bar exam in NY, and Themis has a great pass rate. I am not interested in watching videotapes in a classroom -- I would much rather study online or with books. Is there anything else I should consider in making this decision? I can't be the only one trying to decide whether Barbri is worth an extra $2,000.

dbt

Re: Barbri or Themis?

Postby dbt » Sat May 05, 2012 7:01 pm

I haven't used either's Bar materials, but I did use both for MPRE and didn't see any noticeable difference in quality.

I'm using Themis for the Bar, and I know a lot of people using Themis.

domer22

Postby domer22 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:33 am

I have friends that used themis for NY last summer and passed and loved the program as much as you can while studying for the bar. I'll be taking themis this July while some of my other friends will be sitting in a class watching 4 hour dvds for barbri. Why waste the gas when you can watch the themis lectures at home and they break it up into 15 min chapters followed by questions. There is no way I would be able to sit through the straight 4 hour barbri dvd. No way barbri is worth the extra 2k

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:56 pm

I think you will be fine. The bar isn't really that hard, it's just a lot of effort. Think of all the people you go to school with, then realize that your school's pass rate is something between 90-100%. Without trying to sound like a douche, I'm sure you can think of 10% (or many more) of your classmates who are definitely failing before you will.

It's also not as if barbri has some super secret method for memorizing a bunch of crap - it's more or less the same idea everywhere. Barbri just has brand name recognition and for people whose firms are paying for their course, the extra cost is immaterial. If I were paying for the bar myself, I'd definitely use themis or some other similar company.

Also anecdotally I know many people who have used themis, pieper, barmax, etc., and none who have failed.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”