Legal Writing TA

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ilovesf

Legal Writing TA

Postby ilovesf » Fri May 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Have any of you guys been one? Did you like it? Did you think it was valuable in that you could get to know the professor and use him/her as a reference or networking contact? I'm thinking of applying and I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks!

AVBucks4239

Re: Legal Writing TA

Postby AVBucks4239 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm thinking about doing this 2L as well and could use some advice on whether it's worthwhile.

Sequoia90

Postby Sequoia90 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:41 pm

Depends on your specific program and the time commitment, but I really enjoyed it.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri May 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Sequoia90 wrote:Depends on your specific program and the time commitment, but I really enjoyed it.

Same here. To answer one of the original questions, I was/am a TA for a couple of professors and got both to write me letters of recommendation for various things. I loved doing the TA work too. It's a nice way to make a little money, but it also lets you see a lot of the mistakes that other people make, which can help with your own writing. However, the work can also get tedious at times, especially when you're making the same change in 10 different papers over and over again. That said, I don't know of any of the other TAs I worked with who absolutely hated it or anything. If checking papers and making suggestions is something you like to do and you don't mind spending a little time on it, I don't see any reason you wouldn't enjoy it (unless it was a huge time commitment, which I doubt).

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:26 am

I was a TA this year as well. I enjoyed it for the most part, but as PirateCap'n said, it can get a little tedious. The hours weren't too bad. The only time I was really busy was 2nd semester the weeks right before the final brief was due. I got to know the professor really well, even though he wasn't my Legal Writing professor from the year before. He's helped me out networking and will be writing a recommendation for me for my judicial clerkship applications.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sun May 06, 2012 8:36 am

Any tips on writing a "statement of interest" for one of these positions?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun May 06, 2012 12:22 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to send in an app.

zonto

Postby zonto » Mon May 07, 2012 1:24 pm

I'll be doing one this coming year for my LRRW prof (full year, five-credit course). We had a good relationship, and I really enjoyed the class especially since I was an English major as an undergrad. She is a great mentor and also gave me an awesome reference which helped me get my summer internship.

I figure, for a few hours a week, why not? It's paid (work study), I get to brush up on LRRW skills all next year, and develop a better relationship with a professor that has taught here for a long time. Recommendations will really come in handy for other positions or clerkships.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”