TTT Academic Dismissal best thing ever?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What do you think will happen in my situation?

Be glad, Stick to teaching
44%
You may have a chance but not at a t14
14%
T14 possible with good lsat and years away from incident
42%

Total votes: 36

2ndChanceHopeful

TTT Academic Dismissal best thing ever?

Postby 2ndChanceHopeful » Fri May 04, 2012 2:34 pm

I guess in my haste to go to law school, I went to TTT in a big city. Was doing great, had study groups, passed midterms, had a good rapport with my professors, did campus activites and was on the way to a good city govt 1L internship. Sadly, I had a miscarriage during finals and clearly never recovered academically. I was academically dismissed and heartbroken tremendously, despite showing my school hospitalization/medical records. Somehow, it was for the best as I knew logically my LSAT should have been better otherwise I wouldn’t have went to the dump in the first place.

Moving on with my life, I managed to get accepted into TFA and will start teaching in the South. As per ABA rules, I will not be able to apply for 2 years, which will allow me to complete TFA, maybe teach another few years, save money, take the LSAT again (my score will be then close to expiring) and apply again. I have contacted several t14 schools with my info and they admit they do “look” at previously disqualified applicants. But my concern is would they actually accept me?

I know I have a long road ahead of me, but I was wondering if a higher LSAT score, can still help me receive admission into a t14? Or even a t1 despite a dismissal?

Re: TTT Academic Dismissal best thing ever?

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:46 pm

You should find a different career. Law isn't for you. I'd be shocked if any decent school will take someone who failed out. Even if they did, what do you expect to happen, you suddenly will get amazing at law school. You failed out of a TTT. Even at a T1 you'd probably be bottom of your class.

See how you like teaching.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Fri May 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You should find a different career. Law isn't for you. I'd be shocked if any decent school will take someone who failed out. Even if they did, what do you expect to happen, you suddenly will get amazing at law school. You failed out of a TTT. Even at a T1 you'd probably be bottom of your class.

TITCR

Jllrer

Postby Jllrer » Fri May 04, 2012 2:56 pm

You will be fine in law school. You don't even have to wait 2 yrs. Just ask for a 505 letter from your previous school and call prospective law schools if they accept it. Though, I do suggest you wait as long as possible before applying. Schools look very closely at the events and prefer candidates to be as far apart from the incident as possible. Can't attest to T14 schools, but T1 are within grasp. Just kill it in the LSAT. As a warning, I suggest you do research before hand, there are schools like Hastings that don't accept previously dismissed candidates no matter how long ago they were dismissed.

2ndChanceHopeful

Postby 2ndChanceHopeful » Fri May 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You should find a different career. Law isn't for you. I'd be shocked if any decent school will take someone who failed out. Even if they did, what do you expect to happen, you suddenly will get amazing at law school. You failed out of a TTT. Even at a T1 you'd probably be bottom of your class.

Thanks. I hope I have the opportunity to shock you in a few years. One can hope right? :mrgreen:

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri May 04, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm baffled.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 04, 2012 3:33 pm

2ndChanceHopeful wrote:I had a miscarriage during finals and clearly never recovered academically. I was academically dismissed and heartbroken tremendously, despite showing my school hospitalization/medical records.

I kind of disagree with DF on this one. If you did well on midterms, then you might do OK on other stuff if you didn't have a major psychological and medical upset right in the middle of finals. I can't think of any school that wouldn't have worked with you or allowed you to take a year off after such an experience, rather than just flunking you out, except apparently for some TTT school.

I also think this situation is different than someone who just slacked off and failed because they were stupid or lazy. I also feel (and I have no evidence for this) that other, better schools might be more inclined to accept you again, given the medical circumstances.

But see if you like teaching. That may be the career for you. If not, try law school again.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri May 04, 2012 3:43 pm

try teaching, see how you like it. Don't judge it on the first year, because the first year is miserable. As for your dismissal, I'm not sure-- this is a pretty unique circumstance and you may get a little leeway. Still, it's an uphill battle and you may be better off in teaching.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Fri May 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Teaching sucks. You'll be back.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:23 pm

kalvano wrote:

2ndChanceHopeful wrote:I had a miscarriage during finals and clearly never recovered academically. I was academically dismissed and heartbroken tremendously, despite showing my school hospitalization/medical records.

I kind of disagree with DF on this one. If you did well on midterms, then you might do OK on other stuff if you didn't have a major psychological and medical upset right in the middle of finals. I can't think of any school that wouldn't have worked with you or allowed you to take a year off after such an experience, rather than just flunking you out, except apparently for some TTT school.

I also think this situation is different than someone who just slacked off and failed because they were stupid or lazy. I also feel (and I have no evidence for this) that other, better schools might be more inclined to accept you again, given the medical circumstances.

But see if you like teaching. That may be the career for you. If not, try law school again.

She said she passed during her midterms, not that she did well. If she miscarried during finals that explains one bad semester. But she should have been fine by late April.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 04, 2012 5:34 pm

It's amazing how badly one bad grade can screw you, much less a few. If she had several bad grades and the school had harsh stips, then that could easily do it. I'm not saying law is the best or the absolutely correct choice, but I do think the situation is different than some idiot who was just being stupid.

Also, a miscarriage can have serious psychological effects in addition to physical. If the OP was still depressed for the next batch of finals, hat could have had a big impact.

wjs

Postby wjs » Fri May 04, 2012 5:40 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, a miscarriage can have serious psychological effects in addition to physical. If the OP was still depressed for the next batch of finals, hat could have had a big impact.

indeed

I find it interesting how, in the other thread, lazy melodramatic guy gets told to keep his head up and don't get discouraged and hugs all around for everyone

yet here a woman loses her child and is greeted with "law school isn't for you"

hamsamitchguy03

Postby hamsamitchguy03 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:45 pm

edited for brevity
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Fri May 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Nothing wrong with preparing like crazy and taking the LSAT again.

target

Postby target » Fri May 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Sorry to hear this. But what kind of TTT that would not excuse you from personal reasons like a miscarriage?

ETA: sound like you have good option now with TFA. you have another year to decide, so don't rush making any decision yet.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:49 pm

wjs wrote:I find it interesting how, in the other thread, lazy melodramatic guy gets told to keep his head up and don't get discouraged and hugs all around for everyone

yet here a woman loses her child and is greeted with "law school isn't for you"

While the responses are harsh, there is merit to the thought that OP may have hard time gaining admittance to a decent law school (a problem that the other guy does not have to deal with).

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:53 pm

hamsamitchguy03 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:

She said she passed during her midterms, not that she did well. If she miscarried during finals that explains one bad semester. But she should have been fine by late April.

Yea. after carrying a child for 9 months and then miscarrying it she should be totally ready to attack the rigors of law school come April.

Before 20 week = miscarriage after 20 weeks = still born. Unless she was using the term incorrectly, she wasn't carrying the fetus for anywhere near 9 months. Almost all happen within the first two months.

Most women would be ready by then.

2ndChanceHopeful

Postby 2ndChanceHopeful » Fri May 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Sorry, I didn't add, yes I was dismissed after my first semester. Never had the chance/ability to know what could have been if that never happened.

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Fri May 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Law Schools in the top tier are probably DEFINITELY a lot nicer and more professional than your idiotic school. Retake the LSAT see if you can score higher and then re-apply. I would vote against attending a TTT in any case.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:58 pm

2ndChanceHopeful wrote:
Sorry, I didn't add, yes I was dismissed after my first semester. Never had the chance/ability to know what could have been if that never happened.

Well this changes a lot. I really can't believe they'd drop you after one semester with those circumstances. In fact I don't think failing out will really hurt you at schools if you can explain it well.

If I were you I'd only go if you get a T14, or a nice scholarship below.

Also, you should out what TTT is this terrible.

2ndChanceHopeful

Postby 2ndChanceHopeful » Fri May 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks everyone for the helpful insight. I do know it will be a uphill battle. I'm grateful that I was able to move one via TFA. As some of you said, I may enjoy it. I too was baffled by clear medical reports and insurance bills not being valid enough for my school. I just wanted to see if I was shut out of law for good...hopefully if I make the decision to go this route again, I will be adequately prepared.

FYI- The school is one of the many that was being sued.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:19 pm

An attorney I worked for dropped out of GW in his first year and ended up going to USF something like 5 years later. Granted USF is a pretty terrible school (not sure if it's dropped out T2 but its job prospects are atrocious) and this was around 30 years ago.

I agree with NR. I also think all of us are speculating here but I'd err towards thinking you face an uphill battle primarily because you enrolled in a TTT to begin with. I think the schools will be understanding towards the miscarriage but I think the fact that you went to a TTT will hurt you. But who knows.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 04, 2012 7:19 pm

I think that you have a much better chance at re-admittance (and probably to a much better school if you can increase your LSAT) than other people who have failed out. What happened to you is absurd, and I feel like most legit law schools would recognize it as such.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:15 pm

OP, see how you like teaching and TFA first. If you still want to go to law school after that, only apply if you get a high enough LSAT for a T14.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sat May 05, 2012 12:28 am

Damn that is quite a sad situation and I am sorry for your loss. I hope you find success in whatever it is you choose to do. Good luck!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”