Any tips for organizing negligence from memory on a Torts ex Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LAWYER2

Silver

Any tips for organizing negligence from memory on a Torts ex

Post by LAWYER2 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:43 pm

I've got the over-all concept down-packed but when it comes to exam time I'd like to have a bullet proof attack strategy that even exam butterflies can't unravel. Exam is closed book. Any tips to share?

waxecstatic

Bronze

Re: Any tips for organizing negligence from memory on a Torts ex

Post by waxecstatic » Tue May 01, 2012 5:54 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I've got the over-all concept down-packed but when it comes to exam time I'd like to have a bullet proof attack strategy that even exam butterflies can't unravel. Exam is closed book. Any tips to share?
P has suffered an injury

Can P establish that she was owed a duty of care?

Can P show that D breached that duty of care?

Did D's actions cause P's injuries both factually and proximately?

NYC2014

Bronze

Post by NYC2014 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:06 pm

You don't ask whether D owed P a duty; you ask what duty D owes. Absent special circumstances (such as if D is a professional, or a child), D always owes P a duty of reasonable care. No matter what, 100% of the time. If you're watering your lawn, you owe people a duty of reasonable care. If you're working with a chainsaw, you owe people a duty of reasonable care. I must have used the word reasonable easily 50 times on my Torts exam (A+).

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Tue May 01, 2012 10:09 pm

No, for instance, if you assume a risk then you cannot go after the defendant if you believe he/she breached a duty of care since you were not owed any. A trespasser cannot sue a landowner for a hidden danger on one's property.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:14 pm

waxecstatic wrote:No, for instance, if you assume a risk then you cannot go after the defendant if you believe he/she breached a duty of care since you were not owed any. A trespasser cannot sue a landowner for a hidden danger on one's property.
Of course they can. Assumption of risk is a defense. The above poster had it right: what duty was owed?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Tue May 01, 2012 10:18 pm

If someone trespasses on your land you do not owe them a duty of reasonable care in the sense of warning them of any hidden dangers, or inspecting premises. I'm sure there is a case that explores this.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Tue May 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Check out Carter v. Kinney

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Tue May 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Closed book exams suck but present a good opportunity to get a top grade if the test is hard. Good opportunity to get higher on the crap heap. My best grades have been on closed books.

Just memorize the prima facie case elements.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Good input! Any suggestions on weaving defenses into a scenario to cover all bases?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LOLyer

Bronze

Post by LOLyer » Tue May 01, 2012 10:59 pm

Just go through your outline and make a flowchart.

istara

Bronze

Post by istara » Wed May 02, 2012 12:06 am

NYC2014 wrote:You don't ask whether D owed P a duty; you ask what duty D owes. Absent special circumstances (such as if D is a professional, or a child), D always owes P a duty of reasonable care. No matter what, 100% of the time. If you're watering your lawn, you owe people a duty of reasonable care. If you're working with a chainsaw, you owe people a duty of reasonable care. I must have used the word reasonable easily 50 times on my Torts exam (A+).
For the record, this strategy would have doomed anyone who took my torts exam. I guess my prof just had a lot more emphasis on those "special circumstances" where there is a heightened or lowered duty (for us, there were 5 levels of duty ranging from no duty to strict liability. We spent half the semester on this concept and had to know it all). So.. be sure to account for the way your professor taught the class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”