How many flash cards do you make? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
waxecstatic

Bronze

How many flash cards do you make?

Post by waxecstatic » Tue May 01, 2012 3:30 pm

What's the usual ballpark figure? Is more than 100 going too far for a class like Constitutional law?

kaiser

Gold

Re: How many flash cards do you make?

Post by kaiser » Tue May 01, 2012 3:33 pm

1. Most people don't make flash cards, so its hard to say

2. Depends on what you make flash cards for. Are you making them just for the cases? Vocab words? Multifactor tests? Entirely depends on what you are trying to remember

3. I wouldn't spend too much time on making cards if it takes away from doing practice exams or other kinds of productive studying. A good time-saving approach is to not use physical flash cards, but to use computer/phone app flash cards that can be made in a matter of 30 seconds, and then stored on your phone so that you can practice your cards anywhere form the subway to the crapper w/o actually carrying around a big card stack. I used a card app that synched up to a website, so I could make the cards on my comp, and then access them on my phone

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Tue May 01, 2012 3:42 pm

True, there is a definitely a law of diminishing returns. I have one of those apps on my phone but for me it just isn't the same as writing it out...I think if you find that making flash cards end being completely ineffective, and just a mindless time crunch, then it's probably more reasonable to go on and do something else.

sgoodman

New

Post by sgoodman » Tue May 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Last edited by sgoodman on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Wed May 02, 2012 4:02 am

download "anki." Just add a little here and a little there. Decently helpful I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTTLS

Bronze

Post by TTTLS » Wed May 02, 2012 4:09 am

I stopped making flashcards because I got too caught up in the tiniest details. I just ended up with a stack of about 150 and they ended up only being somewhat helpful. I started making road maps to memorize the big picture of the subject, filling in the details later. This is how I got all the contract theory I needed down to a single sentence.

rawrab

New

Post by rawrab » Wed May 02, 2012 5:27 pm

This is how I got all the contract theory I needed down to a single sentence.
mind sharing the sentence?

Antilles Haven

Bronze

Post by Antilles Haven » Wed May 02, 2012 5:38 pm

I actually managed to get all of partnership taxation down on 35 flashcards. Granted, it was 2 credit hours, and probably well below average in terms of amount of material covered for a 2 credit class.

TTTLS

Bronze

Post by TTTLS » Wed May 02, 2012 6:21 pm

rawrab wrote:
This is how I got all the contract theory I needed down to a single sentence.
mind sharing the sentence?
I can PM you an explanation... it's kinda neurotic. When's your exam?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rawrab

New

Post by rawrab » Wed May 02, 2012 11:19 pm

When's your exam?
1 week, a PM would be awesome!

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:05 pm

kaiser wrote:1. Most people don't make flash cards, so its hard to say

2. Depends on what you make flash cards for. Are you making them just for the cases? Vocab words? Multifactor tests? Entirely depends on what you are trying to remember

3. I wouldn't spend too much time on making cards if it takes away from doing practice exams or other kinds of productive studying. A good time-saving approach is to not use physical flash cards, but to use computer/phone app flash cards that can be made in a matter of 30 seconds, and then stored on your phone so that you can practice your cards anywhere form the subway to the crapper w/o actually carrying around a big card stack. I used a card app that synched up to a website, so I could make the cards on my comp, and then access them on my phone

I do the online flashcard thing and then use the iphone app to go through them so I'm not confined to the same spot the whole time I'm studying...I have to get up and move.

But I made over 200 for my estates exam. I've made about 100 for my corporations exam. Those are the only two classes I actually made flash cards for. I don't particularly rely on them for studying...I more or less use them when i feel like I'm comfortable and use it to reinforce and make sure I know the stuff. And I do it when I'm tired of reading over my outline for the 400th time, or going over my notes/readings. They serve a purpose but I def. don't really put too much emphasis into them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”