PSA: Over studying can be dangerous!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
I.P. Daly

PSA: Over studying can be dangerous!

Postby I.P. Daly » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:19 am

Yesterday afternoon William Thornton Parker, Jr, a third-year student in the Harvard Law School, died at the Cambridge Hospital, where he had been sick but a few days. Parker’s death was caused by an abscess on the brain, a result of overstudy. This time of year in the Law School during the final examinations is very hard and, in fact, the work is so hard that it is a wonder that many more do not break down. It was said some time ago that if the work in the Law School was not lessened at once several men would certainly be the victims of brain fever, and this turned out to be true in the case of Parker.

Mr Parker had been taking his final examinations, and had been working very hard. He was an exceptionally brilliant man, being an A man in the Law School, having graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1897, with the highest honors that the institution could confer on any man. He then came to Harvard and entered the Law School, where he began the study of law. He worked day and night over this subject and so it is no wonder that he finally broke down and went crazy.

Mr Parker’s home was in Springfield, Mass, where he was very well known.

http://etseq.law.harvard.edu/2010/09/ki ... en_to_you/

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 5B808CF1D3

keg411

Re: PSA: Over studying can be dangerous!

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:37 am

Okay, this freaked the ever loving crap out of me... and then I read the date... and I read the date again.... :lol:.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:40 am

I know somebody who went all Colonel Kurtz from overstudying.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:58 am

I.P. Daly wrote:
Yesterday afternoon William Thornton Parker, Jr, a third-year student in the Harvard Law School, died at the Cambridge Hospital, where he had been sick but a few days. Parker’s death was caused by an abscess on the brain, a result of overstudy. This time of year in the Law School during the final examinations is very hard and, in fact, the work is so hard that it is a wonder that many more do not break down. It was said some time ago that if the work in the Law School was not lessened at once several men would certainly be the victims of brain fever, and this turned out to be true in the case of Parker.

Mr Parker had been taking his final examinations, and had been working very hard. He was an exceptionally brilliant man, being an A man in the Law School, having graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1897, with the highest honors that the institution could confer on any man. He then came to Harvard and entered the Law School, where he began the study of law. He worked day and night over this subject and so it is no wonder that he finally broke down and went crazy.

Doing it wrong.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:42 pm

PitchO20 wrote:
I.P. Daly wrote:

Doing it wrong.

To be fair, it sounds like Mr. Parker was approximately 137 years old, he really shouldn't have been under so much stress.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:07 pm

I don't buy it

protein

Postby protein » Tue May 01, 2012 11:41 pm

There are no hazards associated with understudying... right??

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Tue May 01, 2012 11:48 pm

protein wrote:There are no hazards associated with understudying... right??

other than median pwnage, no

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”