People popping pills

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bless

Re: People popping pills

Postby Bless » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:11 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
bruss wrote:
Wow. Now you just seem to be talking out of your butt. You don't to be a 1L survivor to know that Law school is the perfect environment for taking Addy. The fact that your grade depends you not just being good but on being better than everyone else gives students more of a reason to take it. Also the fact that you are saying 1L wasn't that hard, when most say its brutal, will now scare future 1Ls into thinking, "O no she said it wasn't hard so I'm going to need an edge to beat her".

Yes, I'm sure you are a better authority on how hard I found 1L than I am. There's really not that strong a correlation between the effort people put in and the grades they get. I'm not convinced that all the ppl pushing themselves to the edge really benefit all that much from it. Sure, effort is necessary, you don't get to spend 1L lounging by the beach and most ppl I know say they had to cut back significantly on alcohol 1L year because they couldn't afford the hangovers anymore. But you have all semester to learn some rules that you probably could learn in <2 weeks with an E&E on your own. Grades diverge in how well you apply that stuff during the 3 hours, but sometimes not studying it that hard actually makes you better at it.

If you actually have ADD, then yeah I can see it being necessary. But for the average person it just seems a ridiculous risk to take of ending up dependent on it for like next to no return.

I don't think anyone will suggest that the material is excruciatingly difficult, but it's not a breeze either. It's a lot of material, and for most people who are striving to do well, mastering the plethora of material that there is to cover requires a lot of effort. That "a lot of effort" entails maintaining a strong attention span, especially if you find the material boring. Hence, it's not so extraordinary that a 1L -- or a 2L or 3L, for that matter -- would pop an adderall.

I'm not commenting on the ethical opinions behind it, but there certainly is a convenience to taking an adderall during law school finals; I can certainly understand why a law student would.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
WolfmansBrother wrote:So putting other people down for taking adderall, essentially shaming 1Ls for not thinking 1L is easy, or putting others down for their effort is totally cool, but stating cold, yet true observations about the Dewey debacle is off grounds?

Some mod you are.

Someone's butthurt.

I wonder if there's a pill for that.

Xanax?

Bless

Postby Bless » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:20 pm

acrossthelake wrote:But for the average person it just seems a ridiculous risk to take of ending up dependent on it for like next to no return.

Oh, and lmfao @ that. Jesus.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
WolfmansBrother wrote:So putting other people down for taking adderall, essentially shaming 1Ls for not thinking 1L is easy, or putting others down for their effort is totally cool, but stating cold, yet true observations about the Dewey debacle is off grounds?

Some mod you are.

Someone's butthurt.

I wonder if there's a pill for that.

It's probably a suppository.

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:32 pm

Has nobody seen what happened to the speed-freak med student in Gross Anatomy???

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Kabuo wrote:Tell me if you think this is a fair statement of your activity ITT: "I found 1L easy. It's easy. Don't [you people who are not me] act like it's hard or tell me it's hard because I know how it was for me better than you do."

Re your statement about <2 weeks of E&E. Pretty sure the pill popping supporters would say that it's <1 week if the pills let you double time. If they do, why can't you concede they're at least like steroids for the people without ADD who might be, oh, chronically lazy or unmotivated?

I think 1L is stressful, not hard. I'm not basing it off of my own experience alone. A lot of people I've talked to will agree that the stress of 1L comes from the uncertainty of the curve & lack of feedback: you don't know how hard you have to study or how you're supposed to do it, and won't know how well your strategy was until it's too late. To deal with that, a lot of people try to put in as much effort as possible, and a lot of upperclassmen will bitch that it didn't necessarily convert into better grades. I've seen plenty of enough people do really poorly with a lot of effort, and others really well with very little effort, that I don't really think the studying beforehand thing is what separates most of the pack. Most people on the exam are going to know the rules--the problem is how you apply them, and I've seen enough ppl whip out great grades after failing to show up to class or do the readings, using only somebody's old outline, to think that in some cases, the prep beforehand is almost entirely irrelevant. Again, I don't see how adderrall fixes that problem unless you're taking it during your exam.

WolfmansBrother wrote: stating cold, yet true observations about the Dewey debacle is off grounds?

What are you talking about? He was banned for his homophobic remarks, nothing more, nothing less.

ETA: Oooo except you're Dr. Guano's alt. That's against the rules, bro, I think I'm going to have to extend your ban.

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Tue May 01, 2012 1:42 am

I.P. Daly wrote:Image

activity =! intelligence

the power of the human brain is the power to say "no", not "YEAYEAYEAYEAYEAYEAYEAYEAYEAYEAYEAYEAYAE"

omninode

Postby omninode » Tue May 01, 2012 1:59 am

Reprisal wrote:activity =! intelligence

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Tue May 01, 2012 2:16 am

Just be passionate about the law, bro.

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 01, 2012 2:18 am

TTTLS wrote:Just be passionate about international law, bro.

FTFY

pineapplegrenades

Postby pineapplegrenades » Tue May 01, 2012 2:30 am

This thread reminded me of an NYT Magazine 'Ethicist' column I read years back. Interesting and relevant. Here ya go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/30/magaz ... ist-t.html

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue May 01, 2012 2:33 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:caffeine pills!

I thought we all learned from Jessie Spano's experience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 01, 2012 2:36 am

pineapplegrenades wrote:This thread reminded me of an NYT Magazine 'Ethicist' column I read years back. Interesting and relevant. Here ya go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/30/magaz ... ist-t.html

I just read that and found nothing useful. It talks about some guy's experience with his friend getting adderall from his dad, a psychiatrist, for the LSAT, and then deciding that he didn't like it.

Tl;dr: Nothing important/interesting. The author even starts talking about some irrelevant shit towards the end.

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 01, 2012 2:37 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

I thought we all learned from Jessie Spano's experience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c

Shit was fake bro. She was obviously addicted to oxy.

breadbucket

Postby breadbucket » Tue May 01, 2012 3:55 am

+1. 400mg (i.e. 2 pills usually) is seriously underrated as a study stimulant, for comparison, that is the equivalent of 8, 16oz coca colas. It isn't aderall and it isn't cocaine, but if you hit between 800mg-1000mg things get weird.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 01, 2012 4:40 am

acrossthelake wrote:
bruss wrote:
Wow. Now you just seem to be talking out of your butt. You don't to be a 1L survivor to know that Law school is the perfect environment for taking Addy. The fact that your grade depends you not just being good but on being better than everyone else gives students more of a reason to take it. Also the fact that you are saying 1L wasn't that hard, when most say its brutal, will now scare future 1Ls into thinking, "O no she said it wasn't hard so I'm going to need an edge to beat her".

Yes, I'm sure you are a better authority on how hard I found 1L than I am. There's really not that strong a correlation between the effort people put in and the grades they get. I'm not convinced that all the ppl pushing themselves to the edge really benefit all that much from it. Sure, effort is necessary, you don't get to spend 1L lounging by the beach and most ppl I know say they had to cut back significantly on alcohol 1L year because they couldn't afford the hangovers anymore. But you have all semester to learn some rules that you probably could learn in <2 weeks with an E&E on your own. Grades diverge in how well you apply that stuff during the 3 hours, but sometimes not studying it that hard actually makes you better at it.

If you actually have ADD, then yeah I can see it being necessary. But for the average person it just seems a ridiculous risk to take of ending up dependent on it for like next to no return.

This post is very credited. You don't even need 2 weeks. A lot of classes you can pretty much learn in two days. If it's a take home exam, you can pretty much learn the law on the spot -- all you need is a loose outline or the table of contents of the casebook to make sure you talk about every subject that applies. One of the worst things you can do in law school is overthink stuff.

Everyone I know that killed themselves and stressed out over certain subjects too much never did well (including me). The best I ever did on exams were the ones I ran out of time to outline for and just had to find either a commercial outline or E & E or something else and just tried to BS my way through the exam. I still don't know what it is...maybe your mind just gets more creative about legal arguments when it hasn't studied the same simple rules over and over again and instead is a little bit unsure of itself.

I can't imagine how adderall would help with that.

J.Jergle.Jenkins

Postby J.Jergle.Jenkins » Tue May 01, 2012 9:55 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Tell me if you think this is a fair statement of your activity ITT: "I found 1L easy. It's easy. Don't [you people who are not me] act like it's hard or tell me it's hard because I know how it was for me better than you do."

Re your statement about <2 weeks of E&E. Pretty sure the pill popping supporters would say that it's <1 week if the pills let you double time. If they do, why can't you concede they're at least like steroids for the people without ADD who might be, oh, chronically lazy or unmotivated?

I think 1L is stressful, not hard. I'm not basing it off of my own experience alone. A lot of people I've talked to will agree that the stress of 1L comes from the uncertainty of the curve & lack of feedback: you don't know how hard you have to study or how you're supposed to do it, and won't know how well your strategy was until it's too late. To deal with that, a lot of people try to put in as much effort as possible, and a lot of upperclassmen will bitch that it didn't necessarily convert into better grades. I've seen plenty of enough people do really poorly with a lot of effort, and others really well with very little effort, that I don't really think the studying beforehand thing is what separates most of the pack. Most people on the exam are going to know the rules--the problem is how you apply them, and I've seen enough ppl whip out great grades after failing to show up to class or do the readings, using only somebody's old outline, to think that in some cases, the prep beforehand is almost entirely irrelevant. Again, I don't see how adderrall fixes that problem unless you're taking it during your exam.

WolfmansBrother wrote: stating cold, yet true observations about the Dewey debacle is off grounds?

What are you talking about? He was banned for his homophobic remarks, nothing more, nothing less.

ETA: Oooo except you're Dr. Guano's alt. That's against the rules, bro, I think I'm going to have to extend your ban.

Yeah, yeah, here's another alt. Go ahead and make it a permanent ban, I'll just make another name. But just give me a better understanding of what has happened here, as you've seemed to sully Dr.Guano's good name without much reason other than he made "homophobic remarks."

All Dr. Guano did was call a user with a name related to Tony Romo, Tony Homo. Tis a name that many a non-Cowboy fan uses to poke fun at the Dallas QB who chokes under pressure constantly. Yeah, sure, in the strictest sense of homophobia, that's homophobic, but really? I think even in the insanely PC, though contradictory, times we live in, at least an Internet message board can stomach someone calling Tony Romo Tony Homo. So all I would like to know is really? Is that worthy of punishing Dr. Guano? Certainly many more things, even malicious things, have been said on TLS without receiving a ban.

I guess in the end it doesn't matter. I'll have a different name and the point will be moot. But, really all this over calling Tony Romo Tony Homo?

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Tue May 01, 2012 10:11 am

breadbucket wrote:

+1. 400mg (i.e. 2 pills usually) is seriously underrated as a study stimulant, for comparison, that is the equivalent of 8, 16oz coca colas. It isn't aderall and it isn't cocaine, but if you hit between 800mg-1000mg things get weird.

I used to take over 1000mg; weird indeed

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Tue May 01, 2012 10:43 am

J.Jergle.Jenkins wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

Yeah, yeah, here's another alt. Go ahead and make it a permanent ban, I'll just make another name. But just give me a better understanding of what has happened here, as you've seemed to sully Dr.Guano's good name without much reason other than he made "homophobic remarks."

All Dr. Guano did was call a user with a name related to Tony Romo, Tony Homo. Tis a name that many a non-Cowboy fan uses to poke fun at the Dallas QB who chokes under pressure constantly. Yeah, sure, in the strictest sense of homophobia, that's homophobic, but really? I think even in the insanely PC, though contradictory, times we live in, at least an Internet message board can stomach someone calling Tony Romo Tony Homo. So all I would like to know is really? Is that worthy of punishing Dr. Guano? Certainly many more things, even malicious things, have been said on TLS without receiving a ban.

I guess in the end it doesn't matter. I'll have a different name and the point will be moot. But, really all this over calling Tony Romo Tony Homo?

haha, this is like whack-a-mole.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue May 01, 2012 10:58 am

Some mod you are.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Btw, thinking that adderall isn't necessary isn't the functional equivalent of thinking that 1L is 'easy.' I consider adderall unnecessary for those without ADD and I didn't find 1L to be a joke.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue May 01, 2012 11:09 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:
breadbucket wrote:

I used to take over 1000mg; weird indeed

True story. I used to take like 1000mg per day for like two weeks. shit got bizarre.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue May 01, 2012 11:48 am

J.Jergle.Jenkins wrote:I guess in the end it doesn't matter. I'll have a different name and the point will be moot.

::shrug:: We'll just keep knocking them down, then.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 pm

After managing my ADHD for my entire life and still doing pretty well in HS/Undergrad I finally got a prescription for something yesterday. It was as if someone had turned off multiple sources of white noise in my head. It was definitely strange. But I did find that LR was was easier to comprehend and I was better "attacking" answer choices. But I did get bogged down on difficult sections all in all it was an improvement.

I look forward to see how it affects LG prep today.

bruss

Postby bruss » Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Most of you guys are missing the point. The point of taking addy is to give, would you would believe to be, the best chance possible at making top grades. Yes the material might be easy FOR YOU, If anything this will make everyone else around you take addy. I'm not here to debate the ethical, I'm here to clear the miscommunication. Addy will give some a boost in retaining info and studying longer. Yes I know that studying longer does not always translate into higher grades but its what most people who have top grades do; study harder and smarter. addy allows some to study harder and smarter.

Harder and smarter: learning to be able to apply rule to fact and have great reasoning. Being able to sleep less whit more energy will allow you to get to that place faster than what you would if you needed extra sleep and rereading.

acrossthelake Do you have all H's or a majority of H's? if not your doing it wrong

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue May 01, 2012 12:36 pm

bruss wrote:acrossthelake Do you have all H's or a majority of H's? if not your doing it wrong

Lol. Those are high standards. What is that, like top 20% of the class at H? By those standards almost all of us are doing it wrong.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”