People popping pills

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ExAnt3

Re: People popping pills

Postby ExAnt3 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:58 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Law school exams are a game...

If you're not taking every advantage you can in law school, up to and including lawful drug enhancements, you are neglecting another avenue to success.

Idk man. If popping pills is your solution to the law school game, I'd argue that you're missing the point. I don't have a problem with taking aderrall etc. but the solution to the law school game is knowing how to write a better paper in three hours than your classmates. I always found this to be the most difficult part of LS.

Bless

Postby Bless » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:07 am

acrossthelake wrote:Lolwut. Why would you need Adderrall for law school? Headache over-the-counters, on the other had...

SQUARE

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Bless wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Lolwut. Why would you need Adderrall for law school? Headache over-the-counters, on the other had...

SQUARE

Law school is nowhere near difficult enough for you to need Adderrall.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:20 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Bless wrote:

SQUARE

What about 1L?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:25 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:What about 1L?

1L isn't that hard. Most of the stress comes from the uncertainty and I guess for some people the realization that they're not the smartest person they know anymore.

ETA: To clarify, a lot of people realize that before law school. I also guess it's rough if you don't have very good reading comprehension and I have sympathy for ppl who are sorta ESL.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:30 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

1L isn't that hard. Most of the stress comes from the uncertainty and I guess for some people the realization that they're not the smartest person they know anymore.

But what about special snowflakes like me?

All joking aside, I'm an 0L but I hear a lot about how hard 1L is. I'm certainly glad to hear from someone who believes the contrary. I'd like to believe in the saying "you get what you put in", and hope that this principle translates well in law school.

bruss

Postby bruss » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:34 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Bless wrote:

SQUARE

Wow. Now you just seem to be talking out of your butt. You don't to be a 1L survivor to know that Law school is the perfect environment for taking Addy. The fact that your grade depends you not just being good but on being better than everyone else gives students more of a reason to take it. Also the fact that you are saying 1L wasn't that hard, when most say its brutal, will now scare future 1Ls into thinking, "O no she said it wasn't hard so I'm going to need an edge to beat her".

bruss

Postby bruss » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:37 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

All joking aside, I'm an 0L but I hear a lot about how hard 1L is. I'm certainly glad to hear from someone who believes the contrary. I'd like to believe in the saying "you get what you put in", and hope that this principle translates well in law school.

If your saying holds to be true then even the more reason someone would need addy. If i can get 6hrs a night and you need 8 and are still tired I've got you beat.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:40 pm

bruss wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

If your saying holds to be true then even the more reason someone would need addy. If i can get 6hrs a night and you need 8 and are still tired I've got you beat.

True. But like I said, I have a prescription for adderall and will take as much as I need to get shit done, without going anywhere near my prescribed dosage. I'm glad to hear that taking adderall is consistent with LS, as I was worried that it would throw me off.

Also, I was taking what ATL said about 1L not being that hard with a grain of salt, as I know that shit, from others experiences, is no walk in the park.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:48 pm

bruss wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Bless wrote:

SQUARE

Wow. Now you just seem to be talking out of your butt. You don't to be a 1L survivor to know that Law school is the perfect environment for taking Addy. The fact that your grade depends you not just being good but on being better than everyone else gives students more of a reason to take it. Also the fact that you are saying 1L wasn't that hard, when most say its brutal, will now scare future 1Ls into thinking, "O no she said it wasn't hard so I'm going to need an edge to beat her".

This. 1L material = not difficult. Beating the curve = difficult.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:56 pm

bruss wrote:

Yes, I'm sure you are a better authority on how hard I found 1L than I am. There's really not that strong a correlation between the effort people put in and the grades they get. I'm not convinced that all the ppl pushing themselves to the edge really benefit all that much from it. Sure, effort is necessary, you don't get to spend 1L lounging by the beach and most ppl I know say they had to cut back significantly on alcohol 1L year because they couldn't afford the hangovers anymore. But you have all semester to learn some rules that you probably could learn in <2 weeks with an E&E on your own. Grades diverge in how well you apply that stuff during the 3 hours, but sometimes not studying it that hard actually makes you better at it.

If you actually have ADD, then yeah I can see it being necessary. But for the average person it just seems a ridiculous risk to take of ending up dependent on it for like next to no return.

omninode

Postby omninode » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:06 pm

I wouldn't want to get to a place where I feel like I need the pills to perform. That seems risky in the long term. Unless you genuinely have some kind of disorder that you need to correct, I think it makes sense to try to get through school without chemical enhancement.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm generally finding this thread to be offensive. Just because you open a pill bottle doesn't mean you take aderall. Some people take prescriptive meds because they get migraines due to stress. Or maybe it's Tylenol. Some people actually have genuine anxiety disorder and need to take meds for that. It doesn't mean they're abusing drugs to get an edge. Or maybe it's for some other condition. Who knows...

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:32 pm

who cares what other people put it their bodies? Oh yeah, fucking law students

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:36 pm

Funny story.

Got my Dr. appointment to get me some adderall today... alright.

ExAnt3

Postby ExAnt3 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:22 pm

kwais wrote:who cares what other people put it their bodies? Oh yeah, fucking law students

...and employers, and sports leagues, and the government

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:45 pm

kwais wrote:who cares what other people put it their bodies? Oh yeah, fucking law students

So long as you're on a curve, it's like steroids in baseball. If it's allowed/works, then everyone's gotta do it to keep up.

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:48 pm

eh, this isn't going to change. Are you going to complain if your coworker is popping aderall? I hope not. So do your own work and let other people do theirs.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:50 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
bruss wrote:

Yes, I'm sure you are a better authority on how hard I found 1L than I am. There's really not that strong a correlation between the effort people put in and the grades they get. I'm not convinced that all the ppl pushing themselves to the edge really benefit all that much from it. Sure, effort is necessary, you don't get to spend 1L lounging by the beach and most ppl I know say they had to cut back significantly on alcohol 1L year because they couldn't afford the hangovers anymore. But you have all semester to learn some rules that you probably could learn in <2 weeks with an E&E on your own. Grades diverge in how well you apply that stuff during the 3 hours, but sometimes not studying it that hard actually makes you better at it.

If you actually have ADD, then yeah I can see it being necessary. But for the average person it just seems a ridiculous risk to take of ending up dependent on it for like next to no return.

Tell me if you think this is a fair statement of your activity ITT: "I found 1L easy. It's easy. Don't [you people who are not me] act like it's hard or tell me it's hard because I know how it was for me better than you do."

Re your statement about <2 weeks of E&E. Pretty sure the pill popping supporters would say that it's <1 week if the pills let you double time. If they do, why can't you concede they're at least like steroids for the people without ADD who might be, oh, chronically lazy or unmotivated?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:10 pm

kwais wrote:eh, this isn't going to change. Are you going to complain if your coworker is popping aderall? I hope not. So do your own work and let other people do theirs.

You don't see me complaining ITT. I'd probably feel slightly irritated, but, as with so many other things, I'll probably have to just roll with it.

WolfmansBrother

Postby WolfmansBrother » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:36 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
bruss wrote:

So putting other people down for taking adderall, essentially shaming 1Ls for not thinking 1L is easy, or putting others down for their effort is totally cool, but stating cold, yet true observations about the Dewey debacle is off grounds?

Some mod you are.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:42 pm

WolfmansBrother wrote:So putting other people down for taking adderall, essentially shaming 1Ls for not thinking 1L is easy, or putting others down for their effort is totally cool, but stating cold, yet true observations about the Dewey debacle is off grounds?

Some mod you are.

Someone's butthurt.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:44 pm

maybe they're fitness supplements? why do u assume the worst?

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:45 pm

WolfmansBrother wrote:So putting other people down for taking adderall, essentially shaming 1Ls for not thinking 1L is easy, or putting others down for their effort is totally cool, but stating cold, yet true observations about the Dewey debacle is off grounds?

Some mod you are.

LOL @ people talking shit to mods about their performance.

IBTB.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:58 pm

caffeine pills!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”