People popping pills

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby PARTY » Tue May 01, 2012 5:01 pm

kaiser wrote:
PARTY wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
PARTY wrote:well, for one, your argument is wrong.


That seems like a mighty condemnation for a 0L.


a test is a test is a test is a test.

adderall is merely able to help suppress bodily desires, such as the need for food, sleep, and distraction. as long as you prepare for the study period (sleep beforehand and afterwards, eat before you start your study session, and prepare a spot to work in), adderall can't not help.

now, there are studies that say that memories formed on amphetamines are stronger, but there are also studies that have contrary claims.


Whereas I'm old school and believe that the power of the mind itself is far stronger than fake help like that. You would be amazed at what your body can do when you tell yourself that it can be done. The need for food/sleep, the tendency to become distracted, etc. are all things that, if you are in the right state of mind, and if you train your mind properly, can be pushed aside.


yes, yes, i know that. not everyone cares to put in that investment, and that is where modern science comes in. amphetamines were not developed for hyperactive kids; they were made for allowing military operatives to remain active for longer periods of time.

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby PARTY » Tue May 01, 2012 5:03 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
PARTY wrote:a test is a test is a test is a test.

Well, for one, this is wrong.


have you had trouble with tests in the past? do you just not seem to "get" some classes?

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby acrossthelake » Tue May 01, 2012 5:08 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
PARTY wrote:a test is a test is a test is a test.

Well, for one, this is wrong.




A Charlie Nesson evidence exam is surely not a test. :lol:

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: People popping pills

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:11 pm

PARTY wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
PARTY wrote:a test is a test is a test is a test.

Well, for one, this is wrong.


have you had trouble with tests in the past? do you just not seem to "get" some classes?

I have no idea what these questions are trying to get at. But I will elaborate by saying that different tests are designed to test different things (novel concept huh bro?). I'm sure addy does wonders for trying to memorize random dates and shit for some history exam. But that's not what you need to do on a law exam.

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby PARTY » Tue May 01, 2012 5:13 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
PARTY wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
PARTY wrote:a test is a test is a test is a test.

Well, for one, this is wrong.


have you had trouble with tests in the past? do you just not seem to "get" some classes?

I have no idea what these questions are trying to get at. But I will elaborate by saying that different tests are designed to test different things (novel concept huh bro?). I'm sure addy does wonders for trying to memorize random dates and shit for some history exam. But that's not what you need to do on a law exam.


no, dude.

for every test, there is a set of things to know and a set of things to do. you prepare so that you know what's supposed to be known, and then you prepare so you know how to accomplish the tasks set forth in the test.

then you take the test and do what you've prepared to do.

it has nothing to do with rote memorization, but just sitting down and doing work, whatever that work may be.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby acrossthelake » Tue May 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Abusing addy makes more sense to me for a med school exam than a law school exam. It's not like you'd take addy to study for the LSAT.

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby PARTY » Tue May 01, 2012 5:15 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Abusing addy makes more sense to me for a med school exam than a law school exam. It's not like you'd take addy to study for the LSAT.


i know people who did. i also know people who took addy, vyvance, ritalin, etc. for the exam itself.

i know people who attempted to get provigil and a host of other ones as well for the same purposes.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby acrossthelake » Tue May 01, 2012 5:20 pm

PARTY wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Abusing addy makes more sense to me for a med school exam than a law school exam. It's not like you'd take addy to study for the LSAT.


i know people who did. i also know people who took addy, vyvance, ritalin, etc. for the exam itself.

i know people who attempted to get provigil and a host of other ones as well for the same purposes.


But why for the studying? It's just a logic & reading comprehension exam. I get how it could help on the exam itself w/the greater focus, that makes sense.

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby PARTY » Tue May 01, 2012 5:22 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
PARTY wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Abusing addy makes more sense to me for a med school exam than a law school exam. It's not like you'd take addy to study for the LSAT.


i know people who did. i also know people who took addy, vyvance, ritalin, etc. for the exam itself.

i know people who attempted to get provigil and a host of other ones as well for the same purposes.


But why for the studying? It's just a logic & reading comprehension exam. I get how it could help on the exam itself w/the greater focus, that makes sense.


well, i guess it has something to do with poor attention spans or the desire to sit and do work for eight hours a day (even though that's really unnecessary).

i don't know. i sure didn't.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: People popping pills

Postby Tanicius » Tue May 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Look, I think people here are ignoring a pretty important reason not to take un-prescribed adderall: You don't always know what you're doing to yourself when you take a dose, you don't know how much is too much, and it can do different shit to you than it does to other people. Also, do you really want to risk making your brain dependent on that stuff to do productive assignments? Think long-term, people. It's an unwise decision.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby JCougar » Tue May 01, 2012 5:43 pm

PARTY wrote:well, for one, your argument is wrong.

but, how would taking adderall be a tacit admission of inferiority? it'd be more of an insurance policy, especially when you know other people are taking it. the shit is magic.

why arbitrarily deny yourself an element of the competition? ...and here is where the high horse you like to keep yourself on comes into play.


If you weren't inferior, why would you need an insurance policy?

I don't have a high horse, and I already said that it wouldn't be a sign of inferiority if everyone else is taking it and you're only doing it to keep up. It's kind of like steroids in baseball. At one point, you were risking your career by not taking them because they made everyone else around you better, so you were more likely to get cut.

I don't really think a lot of people take it, though...at least no here. I can't understand why anyone would even want to. I know what they do to your mind...I've done them before...they help you focus and get stuff done when the task is repetitive and menial, but they don't really help you get a broad understanding of things, they don't help your memory, and they make it harder to think creatively -- all which are greater keys to success than forcing yourself to go over BLL for months at a time. I don't consider it unethical (even though it's technically a crime to take prescription meds without a prescription). And if you have a prescription, then it's completely legit to take them.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: People popping pills

Postby bruss » Tue May 01, 2012 6:31 pm

JCougar wrote:
PARTY wrote:well, for one, your argument is wrong.

but, how would taking adderall be a tacit admission of inferiority? it'd be more of an insurance policy, especially when you know other people are taking it. the shit is magic.

why arbitrarily deny yourself an element of the competition? ...and here is where the high horse you like to keep yourself on comes into play.


If you weren't inferior, why would you need an insurance policy?

I don't have a high horse, and I already said that it wouldn't be a sign of inferiority if everyone else is taking it and you're only doing it to keep up. It's kind of like steroids in baseball. At one point, you were risking your career by not taking them because they made everyone else around you better, so you were more likely to get cut.

I don't really think a lot of people take it, though...at least no here. I can't understand why anyone would even want to. I know what they do to your mind...I've done them before...they help you focus and get stuff done when the task is repetitive and menial, but they don't really help you get a broad understanding of things, they don't help your memory, and they make it harder to think creatively -- all which are greater keys to success than forcing yourself to go over BLL for months at a time. I don't consider it unethical (even though it's technically a crime to take prescription meds without a prescription). And if you have a prescription, then it's completely legit to take them.


--ImageRemoved--

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: People popping pills

Postby bruss » Tue May 01, 2012 6:34 pm

JCougar wrote:
PARTY wrote:well, for one, your argument is wrong.

but, how would taking adderall be a tacit admission of inferiority? it'd be more of an insurance policy, especially when you know other people are taking it. the shit is magic.

why arbitrarily deny yourself an element of the competition? ...and here is where the high horse you like to keep yourself on comes into play.


If you weren't inferior, why would you need an insurance policy?

I don't have a high horse, and I already said that it wouldn't be a sign of inferiority if everyone else is taking it and you're only doing it to keep up. It's kind of like steroids in baseball. At one point, you were risking your career by not taking them because they made everyone else around you better, so you were more likely to get cut.

I don't really think a lot of people take it, though...at least no here. I can't understand why anyone would even want to. I know what they do to your mind...I've done them before...they help you focus and get stuff done when the task is repetitive and menial, but they don't really help you get a broad understanding of things, they don't help your memory, and they make it harder to think creatively -- all which are greater keys to success than forcing yourself to go over BLL for months at a time. I don't consider it unethical (even though it's technically a crime to take prescription meds without a prescription). And if you have a prescription, then it's completely legit to take them.


You become creative by fucking practicing. With law school studying is like practice. addy helps you study and stay focused. HOW THE FUCK CAN'T you understand. By learning the law and being able to understand it in and out you will then be able to be creative and form complex arguments.

Your whole premise is flawed. Addy is not just for repetitive tasks. It helps most people think clearer.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11801
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby ilovesf » Tue May 01, 2012 6:37 pm

bruss wrote:You become creative by fucking practicing. With law school studying is like practice. addy helps you study and stay focused. HOW THE FUCK CAN'T you understand. By learning the law and being able to understand it in and out you will then be able to be creative and form complex arguments.

Your whole premise is flawed. Addy is not just for repetitive tasks. It helps most people think clearer.

We get it, you love adderall.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby JCougar » Tue May 01, 2012 7:34 pm

bruss wrote:You become creative by fucking practicing. With law school studying is like practice. addy helps you study and stay focused. HOW THE FUCK CAN'T you understand. By learning the law and being able to understand it in and out you will then be able to be creative and form complex arguments.

Your whole premise is flawed. Addy is not just for repetitive tasks. It helps most people think clearer.


LOL...someone seems a little tweaked out. :wink:

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: People popping pills

Postby Tanicius » Tue May 01, 2012 7:44 pm

JCougar wrote:
bruss wrote:You become creative by fucking practicing. With law school studying is like practice. addy helps you study and stay focused. HOW THE FUCK CAN'T you understand. By learning the law and being able to understand it in and out you will then be able to be creative and form complex arguments.

Your whole premise is flawed. Addy is not just for repetitive tasks. It helps most people think clearer.


LOL...someone seems a little tweaked out. :wink:


I can't read his username without thinking about this guy.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby acrossthelake » Tue May 01, 2012 7:51 pm

PARTY wrote:
well, i guess it has something to do with poor attention spans or the desire to sit and do work for eight hours a day (even though that's really unnecessary).

i don't know. i sure didn't.


Yeah that's sorta how I view using addy for law school exams, unless you procrastinated, had some personal event, or really are just really terrible at learning BLL.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby JCougar » Tue May 01, 2012 8:00 pm

Tanicius wrote:I can't read his username without thinking about this guy.


omg

just the type of guy you think you'd see trying to "practice" creativity. imho, that's a recipe for madness that only a few extreme type A personalities and methheads would try out.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: People popping pills

Postby bruss » Tue May 01, 2012 8:24 pm

JCougar wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I can't read his username without thinking about this guy.


omg

just the type of guy you think you'd see trying to "practice" creativity. imho, that's a recipe for madness that only a few extreme type A personalities and methheads would try out.


Wow you guys just aren't getting it. You don't practice creativity, you practice so you can be creative with your arguments.

Also stop with the misinformation. Addy is NOT just for repetitive tasks. It helps people think more clearly.

mathrev
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 am

Re: People popping pills

Postby mathrev » Tue May 01, 2012 8:30 pm

There is something strange about saying addy helps you think more clearly and/or creatively. Unless you have a prescription for the meds, it's just plain retarded; moreover, for those who abuse addy, I think it's a weak excuse. Remind me next time to guzzle some alky before driving, I think it helps my performance--you know, it keeps me relaxed, confident, and cool. It's not illegal is it?

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby dowu » Tue May 01, 2012 8:32 pm

mathrev wrote:There is something strange about saying addy helps you think more clearly and/or creatively. Unless you have a prescription for the meds, it's just plain retarded; moreover, for those who abuse addy, I think it's a weak excuse. Remind me next time to guzzle some alky before driving, I think it helps my performance--you know, it keeps me relaxed, confident, and cool. It's not illegal is it?


Your analogy is so fucking flawed its kind of funny. Adderal doesnt inhibit you from having rational thoughts, amongst other things, like alcohol does, moron.
Last edited by dowu on Tue May 01, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby acrossthelake » Tue May 01, 2012 8:33 pm

bruss wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I can't read his username without thinking about this guy.


omg

just the type of guy you think you'd see trying to "practice" creativity. imho, that's a recipe for madness that only a few extreme type A personalities and methheads would try out.


Wow you guys just aren't getting it. You don't practice creativity, you practice so you can be creative with your arguments.

Also stop with the misinformation. Addy is NOT just for repetitive tasks. It helps people think more clearly.


You should have plenty of time to practice without needing to use adderrall.

mathrev
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 am

Re: People popping pills

Postby mathrev » Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
mathrev wrote:There is something strange about saying addy helps you think more clearly and/or creatively. Unless you have a prescription for the meds, it's just plain retarded; moreover, for those who abuse addy, I think it's a weak excuse. Remind me next time to guzzle some alky before driving, I think it helps my performance--you know, it keeps me relaxed, confident, and cool. It's not illegal is it?


Your analogy is so fucking flawed its kind of funny. Adderal doesnt inhibit you from having rational thoughts, like alcohol does, moron.


Notice I didn't say anything about rational thoughts in regards to alky. The argument was about perceived positive characteristics. I was talking about what I perceive to be the positive characteristics of alky. A perceived characteristic of addy is that it does not inhibit you from having "rational thoughts," which is strange in itself. You might mean it helps you from inhibiting clear thoughts (also debatable), or at the least controls you from looking out the window every two seconds (not 100% guaranteed).

So while you might think my analogy is flawed, I am pretty sure that you didn't read what I had written.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: People popping pills

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 pm

bruss wrote:Wow you guys just aren't getting it. You don't practice creativity, you practice so you can be creative with your arguments.

Also stop with the misinformation. Addy is NOT just for repetitive tasks. It helps people think more clearly.

Addy helps you focus on one task better, right? Well, that necessarily means that once you start thinking about a single solution or argument (like on a law exam), then you will likely overlook other arguments and solutions to various issues. You are likely to zone in on a particular issue rather than discuss multiple issues. In that sense, it can be detrimental. Do you really want to keep at this? You probably took some addy earlier and haven't been able to get yourself away from making the same argument over and over and over. Just like the problem you probably have a law exams.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: People popping pills

Postby dowu » Tue May 01, 2012 8:56 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
bruss wrote:Wow you guys just aren't getting it. You don't practice creativity, you practice so you can be creative with your arguments.

Also stop with the misinformation. Addy is NOT just for repetitive tasks. It helps people think more clearly.

Addy helps you focus on one task better, right? Well, that necessarily means that once you start thinking about a single solution or argument (like on a law exam), then you will likely overlook other arguments and solutions to various issues. You are likely to zone in on a particular issue rather than discuss multiple issues. In that sense, it can be detrimental. Do you really want to keep at this? You probably took some addy earlier and haven't been able to get yourself away from making the same argument over and over and over. Just like the problem you probably have a law exams.


Too much speculation in this post.

ETA: You're an idiot. You act like adderall changes your entire mindset, which is clearly demonstrated as false if youve ever taken it.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests