People popping pills Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
waxecstatic

Bronze

People popping pills

Post by waxecstatic » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm in the library, it's finals week, and all I can hear are the lids of vials being twisted and pills rattling around. I never realized what an enabling environment law school was.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Re: People popping pills

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:21 pm

waxecstatic wrote:I'm in the library, it's finals week, and all I can hear are the lids of vials being twisted and pills rattling around. I never realized what an enabling environment law school was.
Damn. Hopefully people are just popping painkillers for study induced headaches.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Yeah, and Adderall. For someone who took that shit for 4 years, I can personally tell you it is only good for the most mundane, mindless activities like creating notecards. I never found it helpful for studying in the sense of learning stuff.

WolfmansBrother

New

Post by WolfmansBrother » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:28 pm

waxecstatic wrote:Yeah, and Adderall. For someone who took that shit for 4 years, I can personally tell you it is only good for the most mundane, mindless activities like creating notecards. I never found it helpful for studying in the sense of learning stuff.
That's a bummer for you but I, as well as countless others I know, find it INCREDIBLY helpful "in the sense of learning stuff."

I'm able to think much clearer, understand complex concepts much easier, and synthesize enormous sums of information in a little amount of time. While I still need to put in a huge effort (for my 1L exams I put a in a total time of studying - after outlining, making notecards and the like - at around 10 hours a day for at least 5 days for each), I am fairly confident that I would not have learned as much, as well, if I did not take it.

Retaining information of course is dependent on the individual and doesn't have much to do with Adderall, but I haven't met anyone personally that wasn't able to think clearer and better understand difficult concepts in a shorter amount of time when taking it.

I also have ADD, have a prescription, and need it to focus on other normal things, like watching TV, however, when it comes to doing schoolwork, it kinda feels like the baseball equivalent of taking steroids. It's been very beneficial to my schoolwork.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:32 pm

WolfmansBrother wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:Yeah, and Adderall. For someone who took that shit for 4 years, I can personally tell you it is only good for the most mundane, mindless activities like creating notecards. I never found it helpful for studying in the sense of learning stuff.
That's a bummer for you but I, as well as countless others I know, find it INCREDIBLY helpful "in the sense of learning stuff."

I'm able to think much clearer, understand complex concepts much easier, and synthesize enormous sums of information in a little amount of time. While I still need to put in a huge effort (for my 1L exams I put a in a total time of studying - after outlining, making notecards and the like - at around 10 hours a day for at least 5 days for each), I am fairly confident that I would not have learned as much, as well, if I did not take it.

Retaining information of course is dependent on the individual and doesn't have much to do with Adderall, but I haven't met anyone personally that wasn't able to think clearer and better understand difficult concepts in a shorter amount of time when taking it.

I also have ADD, have a prescription, and need it to focus on other normal things, like watching TV, however, when it comes to doing schoolwork, it kinda feels like the baseball equivalent of taking steroids. It's been very beneficial to my schoolwork.
Me too. Im afraid that once I go to LS, someone is going to find out I have mad adderall (thirty 30mg Xrs, and forty-five 20mg IRs per month) and ask me for it. Im going to be discrete about it, but I was harassed during UG.

Do that many LS students take it unprescribed? At my UG, if you had it, you were the person to be friends with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:31 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
WolfmansBrother wrote:

Me too. Im afraid that once I go to LS, someone is going to find out I have mad adderall (thirty 30mg Xrs, and forty-five 20mg IRs per month) and ask me for it. Im going to be discrete about it, but I was harassed during UG.

Do that many LS students take it unprescribed? At my UG, if you had it, you were the person to be friends with.
For a class like constitutional law, which relies heavily on regurgitating rationale from various cases, the amendments, historical periods and stuff like that, it is probably going to be more beneficial than it would for say Torts which kind of requires you to make more mental leaps and bounds and based solely on applying the concepts to hypotheticals. I wouldn't say taking Adderall would help for something like the LSAT.

Yes, proportionately more people take it in law school than in undergrad. It's a fairly easy drug to get a prescription for, and unless you have schizophrenia, it can be as a simple as saying you can't focus and the doctor will write you out a script. It's seriously that easy. But the downside is that it is very addictive and it can cause you to lose faith in your own abilities....I guess it all depends on the individual.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:10 pm

I actually don't know anyone that pops pills for studying. No one has ever admitted to it, at least. I only pop some ibprofen to help soothe my typer's elbow or headaches.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:18 pm

I didn't realize you could identify a pill by the sound of a cap coming off the bottle. I'm sure it's not ibuprofen or vitamin c or anything else. It MUST be adderal. :roll:

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:21 pm

ilovesf wrote:I actually don't know anyone that pops pills for studying. No one has ever admitted to it, at least. I only pop some ibprofen to help soothe my typer's elbow or headaches.
I also don't know of anyone here using adderall as a study aid, but I doubt anyone would volunteer the information (which makes me highly skeptical of OP's claim that people are just conspicuously taking pills in the library aside from aspirin).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:33 pm

I don't have any first hand knowledge but it would seem weird to me if all those kids who took it in ug stopped because they got to law school.

Eliyahu7

New

Post by Eliyahu7 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:35 pm

I was prescribed Adderall when I was kid. So glad that that didn't last long. It completely blows my mind that anyone would use that stuff voluntarily because it really truly messes with your mind.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:40 pm

My experience has been that I don't really know people who use it in LS. I used to work with people who took it (accounting, really long hours during busy season) when things got really hectic. I would *guess* that most of the noise you hear is pain meds from caffeine headaches, or maybe even caffeine pills. I take caffeine pills if I don't want to have to take many bathroom breaks, otherwise I will just drink coffee or red bull because I kind of like the mandatory bathroom break every so often, gives me something to do besides study :)

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:57 pm

WolfmansBrother wrote:While I still need to put in a huge effort (for my 1L exams I put a in a total time of studying - after outlining, making notecards and the like - at around 10 hours a day for at least 5 days for each), I am fairly confident that I would not have learned as much, as well, if I did not take it.
Can't wait to hear what you start taking as a young associate. Keep us posted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

boredatwork

Bronze

Post by boredatwork » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:23 pm

You don't say people take synthetic speed to stay up in law school? never.
I had a prescription once, crap made my stomach bleed, not worth it.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:40 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:Image
lmao

and lmao @ the people who get all butt-hurt that other people are taking adderall. get a grip people.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:43 pm

monkey85 wrote:
WolfmansBrother wrote:While I still need to put in a huge effort (for my 1L exams I put a in a total time of studying - after outlining, making notecards and the like - at around 10 hours a day for at least 5 days for each), I am fairly confident that I would not have learned as much, as well, if I did not take it.
Can't wait to hear what you start taking as a young associate. Keep us posted.
WolfmansBrother wrote:I also have ADD, have a prescription, and need it to focus on other normal things, like watching TV, however, when it comes to doing schoolwork, it kinda feels like the baseball equivalent of taking steroids. It's been very beneficial to my schoolwork.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:58 am

Ambien on the night before an exam was a significant factor in my doing well on exams. I have never slept well, and before an exam, natural sleep simply wasn't going to happen. But with ambien, I could plan my sleeping such that I could be ensured 8 hours of sleep just before the exam, be it at 9 am or 2 pm. I'd study up until 9 hours before the exam pop the pill and sleep. I awoke fully rested, and looking at the state of my peers come exam time, I'm sure most did not sleep well the night before. It had no impact on memory - I aced exams first year. Law school exams are a game, and a well rested brain is of the utmost importance to doing well, IMHO.

If you're not taking every advantage you can in law school, up to and including lawful drug enhancements, you are neglecting another avenue to success. Screw your curve ruining peers - pop the pills and kickass, or wonder what your peers did differently than you as you look over your Bs.

And don't go to OD doctors - they'll tell you things like eat well and exercise to get proper sleep, and wont prescribe sleep aids except for debilitating insomnia, while an MD will answer my my real question: how do I get 8 hours of sleep before a 6 pm exam? The answer is studying until 9am, then Ambien.

The Air Force forces bomber pilots to take stimulants and sleep aids at specified intervals during 24 hour missions, because the pilot has to be fresh minded on schedule. Learn from the military: medicate on schedule for optimum mission performance.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:04 am

Eliyahu7 wrote:I was prescribed Adderall when I was kid. So glad that that didn't last long. It completely blows my mind that anyone would use that stuff voluntarily because it really truly messes with your mind.
You sound high. Tell us the truth and put down your drugs for a second.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:05 am

Ded Precedent wrote:
Eliyahu7 wrote:I was prescribed Adderall when I was kid. So glad that that didn't last long. It completely blows my mind that anyone would use that stuff voluntarily because it really truly messes with your mind.
You sound high. Tell us the truth and put down your drugs for a second.
It's speed.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:11 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:12 am

acrossthelake wrote:Lolwut. Why would you need Adderrall for law school? Headache over-the-counters, on the other had...
Id. ("It's speed.")

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:19 am

:shock:

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:34 am

I take sleep aids during finals to help me sleep. But no uppers, except for caffeine

Aeroneous

New

Post by Aeroneous » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:35 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:The Air Force forces bomber pilots to take stimulants and sleep aids at specified intervals during 24 hour missions, because the pilot has to be fresh minded on schedule. Learn from the military: medicate on schedule for optimum mission performance.
Pilots are not forced to do this, and you'll find that this practice has dwindled significantly since the Gulf War. Also, 12+ hour flights are relatively rare. Only while deployed will pilots encounter regularly occurring lengthy missions such as these. Also, on many of these long flights crews are actually rotated, as multiple aircraft have crew rest areas to house several crews on one flight. The military got a little skeptical of the amphetamine-in-flight thing after a couple Guard pilots ingested the drugs and bombed some friendly coalition forces in Afghanistan.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”