People popping pills Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bruss

Bronze

Re: People popping pills

Post by bruss » Tue May 01, 2012 2:55 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Most people on this board go to a school where 80-90% of the class is smart enough to understand the logic of the BLL and how it applies to facts. And even if you don't understand it, you just buy a commercial outline or an E&E and it's pretty much spelled out for you.... Plus, good grades on law exams are about being a little bit relaxed and creative -- not about being extremely focused and disciplined. I just can't see how uppers would help, but to each his own.
+1
bruss wrote:I believe that we all can agree that if you study harder and smarter, then you thoughts will be better than what they were before.
I actually think this is something that is sparking most of the disagreement. In the context of law school exams, not really. In advanced physics, sure. There's a relatively low ceiling for a lot of a law school exam. Sometimes there's just not that much to say about Batman's criminal liability for running over a pedestrian on his way to saving the day once you've gone over possible charges, the elements, your analysis of how it fits, and possible policy arguments. I think and know most of my classmates are smart enough to hit that ceiling, which is what makes the curve frustrating. I'm actually pretty annoyed when profs give us "easy" exams, because the curve ends up being overly tight, and distinctions become meaningless.
The whole point is that if you study harder and smarter then you will be able to hit that ceiling, then reasoning and writing ability come into play. Addy can help you utilize your time effectively which will allow you to practice these skills.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 01, 2012 2:57 pm

bruss wrote:
Not saying that the exam questions are complexed, I'm saying your arugment should be, less you become median.
For that, it just depends on the professor. Some just want you to get to the point. Others want over-analysis of every philosophical angle.

In any event, I have to get off here because I have an 8 hour take home exam tomorrow that I haven't outlined or studied for. I've got about 12 study-hours left in the day, which gives me 1 hour for each chapter, plus an hour for dinner.

Knowing the way things go, it will probably be my best grade.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 01, 2012 3:02 pm

bruss wrote: The whole point is that if you study harder and smarter then you will be able to hit that ceiling, then reasoning and writing ability come into play. Addy can help you utilize your time effectively which will allow you to practice these skills.
You don't even really need to study hard or smart to understand the BLL -- that's the point. The analysis part, where you get most of your points, is more about creativity than studying.

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Tue May 01, 2012 3:09 pm

JCougar wrote:
bruss wrote: The whole point is that if you study harder and smarter then you will be able to hit that ceiling, then reasoning and writing ability come into play. Addy can help you utilize your time effectively which will allow you to practice these skills.
You don't even really need to study hard or smart to understand the BLL -- that's the point. The analysis part, where you get most of your points, is more about creativity than studying.
you get creativity by studying the concepts

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:14 pm

there's two ways adderall could go: it stimulates you and you become more efficient or you get the paradoxical effect if you actually have ADHD and then you calm down and can concentrate more. it's a miracle drug and anybody who knocks it is a dickbag.

third way is you take too much, but that's not really a knock on the drug.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:18 pm

bruss wrote:
JCougar wrote:
It doesn't surprise me that somebody who think addy is the best way to learn things doesn't understand creativity and analyzing problems and coming up with multiple solutions.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Tue May 01, 2012 3:43 pm

kwais wrote:who cares what other people put it their bodies? Oh yeah, fucking law students

+1.

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Tue May 01, 2012 3:56 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
bruss wrote:
JCougar wrote:
It doesn't surprise me that somebody who think addy is the best way to learn things doesn't understand creativity and analyzing problems and coming up with multiple solutions.
you build those talents by practicing and studying addy helps you do that...why is that so hard for you to understand

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Tue May 01, 2012 4:01 pm

some people simply like to think of themselves as superior, and so they look down on others for taking advantage of *somewhat* illegitimate avenues for enhancement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 01, 2012 4:17 pm

PARTY wrote:some people simply like to think of themselves as superior, and so they look down on others for taking advantage of *somewhat* illegitimate avenues for enhancement.
If you have to take a somewhat illegitimate avenue for for enhancement, isn't that kind of a tacit admission that you're inferior? Unless you think everybody else is bending the rules in their favor as well and you do it just to keep up, I don't see how it isn't.

My argument is that I really don't think it would help anyway. I could care less if people do it. It's not anymore "illegitimate" than going out and buying a commercial outline or getting one from someone who booked the class the year before. And I've done both of the latter.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue May 01, 2012 4:21 pm

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Tue May 01, 2012 4:23 pm

JCougar wrote:
PARTY wrote:some people simply like to think of themselves as superior, and so they look down on others for taking advantage of *somewhat* illegitimate avenues for enhancement.
If you have to take a somewhat illegitimate avenue for for enhancement, isn't that kind of a tacit admission that you're inferior? Unless you think everybody else is bending the rules in their favor as well and you do it just to keep up, I don't see how it isn't.

My argument is that I really don't think it would help anyway.
well, for one, your argument is wrong.

but, how would taking adderall be a tacit admission of inferiority? it'd be more of an insurance policy, especially when you know other people are taking it. the shit is magic.

why arbitrarily deny yourself an element of the competition? ...and here is where the high horse you like to keep yourself on comes into play.

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Tue May 01, 2012 4:27 pm

JCougar wrote:

My argument is that I really don't think it would help anyway. I could care less if people do it. It's not anymore "illegitimate" than going out and buying a commercial outline or getting one from someone who booked the class the year before. And I've done both of the latter.
there is always going to be someone who is better than you at something. Taking addy for some is a way to lesson that chance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:29 pm

bruss wrote:
JCougar wrote:

there is always going to be someone who is better than you at something. Taking addy for some is a way to lesson that chance.
This is horrible reasoning. Cheating on an exam is a way to lessen that chance as well but I doubt you advocate for that.

And I'm not saying that taking addy is the equivalent of cheating, I'm just saying your reasoning sucks.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue May 01, 2012 4:36 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:this thread makes me want to try adderall to see its effects on my actual performance
Do it.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue May 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I definitely look down on people who feel the need to pop pills to focus on an exam. Seems like inferiority or weakness to me. Am I perfect? Of course not. I have my own weaknesses and imperfections (quite a few of them). But I judge myself just as harshly as I judge others (though I usually keep my judgments of others to myself). Things like addictions, and a need for artificial "help" are the types of things I've always looked down on, even if I'm not always above it.
Last edited by kaiser on Tue May 01, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Tue May 01, 2012 4:43 pm

kaiser wrote:I definitely look down on people who feel the need to pop pills to focus on an exam. Seems like inferiority or weakness to me. Am I perfect? Of course not. I have my own weaknesses and imperfections (quite a few of them). But I judge myself just as harshly as I judge others (though I usually keep my judgments of others to myself).
nice edit.

but, how are those grades looking?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 pm

PARTY wrote:
kaiser wrote:I definitely look down on people who feel the need to pop pills to focus on an exam. Seems like inferiority or weakness to me. Am I perfect? Of course not. I have my own weaknesses and imperfections (quite a few of them). But I judge myself just as harshly as I judge others (though I usually keep my judgments of others to myself).
nice edit.

Good enough that I don't need pills to help, I guess

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Tue May 01, 2012 4:47 pm

kaiser wrote:
PARTY wrote:
nice edit.

i doubt anyone is claiming that they NEED pills here.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue May 01, 2012 4:50 pm

PARTY wrote: well, for one, your argument is wrong.
That seems like a mighty condemnation for a 0L.

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Tue May 01, 2012 4:51 pm

kaiser wrote:
PARTY wrote:
nice edit.

are you top 5? if not I think the pills would help you bro/sis.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Tue May 01, 2012 4:53 pm

dresden doll wrote:
a test is a test is a test is a test.

adderall is merely able to help suppress bodily desires, such as the need for food, sleep, and distraction. as long as you prepare for the study period (sleep beforehand and afterwards, eat before you start your study session, and prepare a spot to work in), adderall can't not help.

now, there are studies that say that memories formed on amphetamines are stronger, but there are also studies that have contrary claims.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:54 pm

PARTY wrote: a test is a test is a test is a test.
Well, for one, this is wrong.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:56 pm

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue May 01, 2012 4:58 pm

PARTY wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
a test is a test is a test is a test.

adderall is merely able to help suppress bodily desires, such as the need for food, sleep, and distraction. as long as you prepare for the study period (sleep beforehand and afterwards, eat before you start your study session, and prepare a spot to work in), adderall can't not help.

now, there are studies that say that memories formed on amphetamines are stronger, but there are also studies that have contrary claims.
Whereas I'm old school and believe that the power of the mind itself is far stronger than fake help like that. You would be amazed at what your body can do when you tell yourself that it can be done. Now, I'm not talking Matrix-style shit, but you know what I mean. The need for food/sleep, the tendency to become distracted, etc. are all things that, if you are in the right state of mind, and if you train your mind properly, can be pushed aside.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”