(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mr. Pancakes

Re: .

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:20 pm

what is the punishment for non-reporting of violations?

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Always Credited wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:Without more conclusive evidence, I really, really doubt that there's enough here to get someone kicked out of school over. "Well, this guy on TLS has racist tendencies and knows something about DC...I heard Ted say we should revoke social security benefits for the poor once and he lived in Silver Spring when he was a kid!"

TLS can easily provide the school with the content of the posted message long with the user's IP address, which can be matched to any emails the user has sent from that same IP address to or through the school's email, verifying the identify of the user.

Done.

Yeah, well obviously if TLS decides to hand over this guys information he's pretty fucked. Until that point, or until Duke requests the info from TLS and TLS provides it, there's not enough kick someone out of school over. If I were him I'd be sweating bullets, though.
Last edited by PitchO20 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
SpiteFence wrote:Can anyone say with certainty whether this has been reported, just to make sure there's no chance anyone is in a breech of any ethical duties here?

Does the Duke honor code require students to report known violations?

I will not lie, cheat, or steal in my academic endeavors.
I will forthrightly oppose each and every instance of academic dishonesty.
I will communicate directly with any person or persons I believe to have been dishonest. Such communication may be oral or written. Written communication may be signed or anonymous.
I will give prompt written notification to the appropriate faculty member and to the Dean of Trinity College or the Dean of the Pratt School of Engineering when I observe academic dishonesty in any course.
I will let my conscience guide my decision about whether my written report will name the person or persons I believe to have committed a violation of this Code.

ETA: Don't know what Trinity College or Pratt School of Engineering is, but I found this linked to Drake University.
Last edited by shredderrrrrr on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:22 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Person must have panicked because he asked TLS only 4 hours into his/her exam . . .

OP is one of 35 people but I don't know how it can be narrowed down any more than that.

Does that 35 include just white males? If not, we can narrow it down further.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:23 pm

emkay625 wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Person must have panicked because he asked TLS only 4 hours into his/her exam . . .

OP is one of 35 people but I don't know how it can be narrowed down any more than that.

He could be Asian, no?

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:23 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:
SpiteFence wrote:Can anyone say with certainty whether this has been reported, just to make sure there's no chance anyone is in a breech of any ethical duties here?

Does the Duke honor code require students to report known violations?

I will not lie, cheat, or steal in my academic endeavors.
I will forthrightly oppose each and every instance of academic dishonesty.
I will communicate directly with any person or persons I believe to have been dishonest. Such communication may be oral or written. Written communication may be signed or anonymous.
I will give prompt written notification to the appropriate faculty member and to the Dean of Trinity College or the Dean of the Pratt School of Engineering when I observe academic dishonesty in any course.
I will let my conscience guide my decision about whether my written report will name the person or persons I believe to have committed a violation of this Code.

That's the undergrad code...though I suspect that the law school's code is basically identical.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:24 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

He could be Asian, no?

I know quite a few racist hispanics too...

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:24 pm

The likelihood and certainty of identifying him based on these random comments and guesses is zero. It comes down to whether someone knows for a fact who he is and whether TLS ships off the info.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:25 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

He could be Asian, no?

I suppose that's true.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:The likelihood and certainty of identifying him based on these random comments and guesses is zero. It comes down to whether someone knows for a fact who he is and whether TLS ships off the info.

True and to be fair, looking up the section group and accusing people based on the info ITT isn't proper form. Identification is on the mods and Duke at this point.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:27 pm

TLS should forward this info first thing tomorrow morning. They wouldn't want the forums to lose their reputation as a place of academic excellence and integrity.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:28 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:TLS should forward this info first thing tomorrow morning. They wouldn't want the forums to lose their reputation as a place of academic excellence and integrity.

Don't let them see the lounge....

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Here's the Duke Law Student Code for those interested...

http://www.law.duke.edu/about/community/rules/index#3

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:29 pm

I would say OP is likely white male due to his use of minorities. Although he could also be Asian but a bit self-loathing.

I doubt that'll eliminate too many people.

And this thread is delivering. I'm not sure I want OP to be caught, but the fact that we're getting close is good enough for me because I know he's scared as fuuuuuck right now.

And why the hell are we talking about the honor code? haha..

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:29 pm

I think as some students in this guys section pointed out, there was literally one rule on the exam. So this isn't like an accidental slip or lack of understanding of the rules or something.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:The likelihood and certainty of identifying him based on these random comments and guesses is zero. It comes down to whether someone knows for a fact who he is and whether TLS ships off the info.

True and to be fair, looking up the section group and accusing people based on the info ITT isn't proper form. Identification is on the mods and Duke at this point.

The proper response is likely for those students enrolled at Duke to report this to their professor and the Dean, and if Duke wants the info they can request it in good faith from TLS. TLS has absolute freedom to provide that information.

This limits any haphazard guessing and profiling of classmates and keeps the inquiry, and the discretion, within the proper channels.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:30 pm

thelawyler wrote:I would say OP is likely white male due to his use of minorities. Although he could also be Asian but a bit self-loathing.

I doubt that'll eliminate too many people.

And this thread is delivering. I'm not sure I want OP to be caught, but the fact that we're getting close is good enough for me because I know he's scared as fuuuuuck right now.

And why the hell are we talking about the honor code? haha..

He probably played lax, maybe at Duke...

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:31 pm

I doubt the mods will go out of their way to contact OPs school. Assuming OP posted from home, not school, and used a home, not school, email address, I doubt the school is going to subpoena OP's ISP for subscriber information. This was a minor slip up and an honor violation, not a felonious act.

OP likely will live in fear as OP's classmates discuss this with each other and OP has to act as if it is not OP. But unless OP slips up in real life I doubt anything happens.

zozin

Postby zozin » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Can we just close this thread? Are we really trying to guess the guy's race based on racist comments? "Oh I bet he's white, maybe Asian, or Hispanic they don't like blacks either..." Seriously? Forward the info to Duke or w/e, but don't fuck with someone's life like it's an episode of Law and Order.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:32 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Here's the Duke Law Student Code for those interested...

http://www.law.duke.edu/about/community/rules/index#3

tl;dr

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm sure if you eliminate everybody without any connection / knowledge of DC (I've been there several times but there's no way I could tell you the amount of detail he just did) then I'm sure you can narrow it to about 10 people. From there, half will probably not know what TLS is, and then we have 5.
Last edited by thelawyler on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:33 pm

zozin wrote:Can we just close this thread? Are we really trying to guess the guy's race based on racist comments? "Oh I bet he's white, maybe Asian, or Hispanic they don't like blacks either..." Seriously? Forward the info to Duke or w/e, but don't fuck with someone's life like it's an episode of Law and Order.

You left out lacrosse players. :lol:

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:34 pm

zozin wrote:Can we just close this thread? Are we really trying to guess the guy's race based on racist comments? "Oh I bet he's white, maybe Asian, or Hispanic they don't like blacks either..." Seriously? Forward the info to Duke or w/e, but don't fuck with someone's life like it's an episode of Law and Order.

Just passed beachbum as prime suspect for OP's real account.

chrispronger

Postby chrispronger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:34 pm

I've got it narrowed down to 3. If I were a betting man, I'd go all in on one. This is soooooo much more fun than studying for property.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:35 pm

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”