(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Re: .

Postby Extension_Cord » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:09 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:and that was a good idea.... how?

Lol it
A. shows that the OP was serious/not a troll (and is now nervous),
B. provides another IP address/email from which to be identified,
C. provides his name (Mike)...unless of course he was anticipating being called out and intentionally gave a fake name,
D. makes him look like a douche.

I'm 99% sure "Mike" is not his name. He probably anticipated getting called out, or at least the possibility and chose a decoy name. He cannot be that stupid. Can he?

This could probably get him in A LOT more trouble also. I mean, he probably chose the name of someone that is actually in his class. This could hurt "Mike's" reputation. I think this is the worst thing he has done yet...

Report him, for "Mike!"

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Maybe OP will confess?... :lol: :lol:

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:10 pm

ilovesf wrote:I mean how are they even going to find out who this guy is? "Um professor one of the 80 people in our class posted anonymously in an online forum asking a question about the exam." What are you going to do, do you guys want to take a whole new exam?

Well based on his posting style, I think we can say with relative certainty that it is a male. That eliminates half. So we can lynch one out of 40.

EDIT: Seems people already talked about this...
Last edited by thelawyler on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:11 pm

zozin wrote:So... can the person be kicked out of school for this? Are we really ready to play internet vigilantes and screw somebody's life/career for this?

The only way that will happen is if a Duke student brings the thread to someone's attention. Which would be justified on their part. I highly doubt anyone would go out of their way to report someone at a different school....I've been surprised by law students before though.

I am in it for the LOLZ

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:Going to draw a line in the sand here and say that there is no way his name is Mike. Though the "minuteman" description would go along with his self-deprecating sexual attitude (see earlier when he referred to his "tiny dick")

Or maybe it's an ironic reference to racist border patrol vigilantes?

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Without more conclusive evidence, I really, really doubt that there's enough here to get someone kicked out of school over. "Well, this guy on TLS has racist tendencies and knows something about DC...I heard Ted say we should revoke social security benefits for the poor once and he lived in Silver Spring when he was a kid!"

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:13 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
beachbum wrote:
chrispronger wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Person must have panicked because he asked TLS only 4 hours into his/her exam . . .

OP is one of 35 people but I don't know how it can be narrowed down any more than that.

If it's just males, down to ~19. I could probably narrow it down to ~5 after eliminating folks who don't know/probably wouldn't know about TLS and folks who are too smart to formulate a question this way.

Don't forget about knowledge of DC.

Any of these guys named Mike? Or have we established that wasn't a real name?

So you honestly think there's even a slight chance that OP would create an alt to defend himself and put his real name in the username? Are you high?

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:13 pm

PitchO20 wrote:Without more conclusive evidence, I really, really doubt that there's enough here to get someone kicked out of school over. "Well, this guy on TLS has racist tendencies and knows something about DC...I heard Ted say we should revoke social security benefits for the poor once and he lived in Silver Spring when he was a kid!"

Man, way to throw Ted under the bus. :lol:

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Imagine if you were OP. Not only are you stressing about your final exam, but you're stressing out about this now LOL.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:14 pm

tedalbany wrote:Are you high?

maybe he came over from the pill popping thread?

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Tell you who is dancing right now: --LinkRemoved--

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:and that was a good idea.... how?

Lol it
A. shows that the OP was serious/not a troll (and is now nervous),
B. provides another IP address/email from which to be identified,
C. provides his name (Mike)...unless of course he was anticipating being called out and intentionally gave a fake name,
D. makes him look like a douche.

I'm 99% sure "Mike" is not his name. He probably anticipated getting called out, or at least the possibility and chose a decoy name. He cannot be that stupid. Can he?

This could probably get him in A LOT more trouble also. I mean, he probably chose the name of someone that is actually in his class. This could hurt "Mike's" reputation. I think this is the worst thing he has done yet...

Report him, for "Mike!"

Why would someone named "Mike" put that in their username in this situation?
Last edited by lawyerwannabe on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:15 pm

zozin wrote:So... can the person be kicked out of school for this? Are we really ready to play internet vigilantes and screw somebody's life/career for this?

dude tried to cheat on an exams with ONE RULE.

I'm not saying some TLS random should turn him in, but if one of his Duke classmates does, they'd certainly be justified in doing so.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:16 pm

43 guests. not too shabby

SpiteFence

Postby SpiteFence » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Can anyone say with certainty whether this has been reported, just to make sure there's no chance anyone is in a breach of any ethical duties here?
Last edited by SpiteFence on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:17 pm

SpiteFence wrote:Can anyone say with certainty whether this has been reported, just to make sure there's no chance anyone is in a breech of any ethical duties here?

Does the Duke honor code require students to report known violations?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:17 pm

So you honestly think there's even a slight chance that OP would create an alt to defend himself and put his real name in the username? Are you high?

Did I honestly think the OP would post a test question on a law student forum asking for help? Did I honestly think he would come back as an alt defending himself and not expect people to notice?

He has obviously surprised us with his stupidity thus far...using his real name isn't out of his realm of possibilities.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:18 pm

This lynch mob shit needs to stop. Obviously OP is a pretty unscrupulous character, but does it really matter that something happens to him because he posted a short Q on TLS? I think it's safe to say he isn't going to be above median anyway, so he isn't affecting anyone else in his section.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:18 pm

This thread delivered in epic fashion.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:18 pm

PitchO20 wrote:Without more conclusive evidence, I really, really doubt that there's enough here to get someone kicked out of school over. "Well, this guy on TLS has racist tendencies and knows something about DC...I heard Ted say we should revoke social security benefits for the poor once and he lived in Silver Spring when he was a kid!"

TLS can easily provide the school with the content of the posted message along with the user's IP address, which can be matched to any emails the user has sent from that same IP address to or through the school's email, verifying the identify of the user.

Done.
Last edited by Always Credited on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

tedalbany wrote:This lynch mob shit needs to stop. Obviously OP is a pretty unscrupulous character, but does it really matter that something happens to him because he posted a short Q on TLS? I think it's safe to say he isn't going to be above median anyway, so he isn't affecting anyone else in his section.

In answer to your ?: Yes

SpiteFence

Postby SpiteFence » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
SpiteFence wrote:Can anyone say with certainty whether this has been reported, just to make sure there's no chance anyone is in a breech of any ethical duties here?

IDK, but I think you could make the case an admitted attorney would have a duty if they saw this to report to the board of admissions.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:

My school does, whatever school he goes to probably does too.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

i used to keep a class roster of my class, then found out they had created a Facebook group and all of them were on it. Now it just sucks knowing who's on the deans list and everyone else.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:20 pm

And who the hell is this ted everyone keeps referencing?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”