K question: When should I cite the Restatement/UCC? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NYC2014

Bronze

K question: When should I cite the Restatement/UCC?

Post by NYC2014 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:55 pm

I'm aware that UCC governs goods (tangible, movable objects) and that the Restatement governs everything else, and that the first issue when looking at a problem is to figure out which it is. That said, I'm a bit confused: If it's predominantly a services K, is the UCC completely useless? I mean, if the UCC and Restatement happen to coincide on the issue, should I cite both (and any cases that are appropriate)? And, vice-versa: If it's a sale-of-goods case, should I cite the Restatement even if the UCC explicitly deals with it?

Muchos gracias.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: K question: When should I cite the Restatement/UCC?

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:03 am

Unless your professor states in the instructions to use the UCC (which mine actually did), the common law covers transactions where the transaction is primarily for services. If it's predominantly for goods, do UCC analysis. However, if the UCC does not cover the situation, use 1-103 and go to the Restatement/common law.
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:05 am

When the K is for services, you'd be able to analogize from the UCC and make a case (from a policy perspective) about why the common law should follow suit. But the UCC isn't binding in this way.

Use the restatement otherwise.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:07 am

Depends on your prof so you should ask him/her.

My Ks prof basically said that they each govern their respective stuff but were persuasive authority for the other. And they were essentially binding in his class.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:08 am

Also do the same for the common law for goods. UCC runs the place, but for the purposes of points and fleshing out some interesting issues you'd might otherwise miss. State that the UCC is binding. After your analysis is finished on that point, and you have time, bring up the restatement and see if you can work in the critical differences between the two--and why, as a matter of policy--your view should be the binding one and precedent should follow your approach.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYC2014

Bronze

Post by NYC2014 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:13 am

To elucidate my question, here's a tiny excerpt from my outline:
Offers stay open for a reasonable amount of time (Ever-tite) (UCC 2-309)(RS40).
So if I face a hypo where a painter offers to paint some guy's house but the other guy doesn't accept for a month, my analysis would go:
This is predominantly a services K, so the Restatement applies. Unless expressly stated, an offer stays open for a reasonable amount of time (RS40)(Ever-tite). Here, ...

Should I write UCC 2-309 in there, too?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:19 am

NYC2014 wrote:To elucidate my question, here's a tiny excerpt from my outline:
Offers stay open for a reasonable amount of time (Ever-tite) (UCC 2-309)(RS40).
So if I face a hypo where a painter offers to paint some guy's house but the other guy doesn't accept for a month, my analysis would go:
This is predominantly a services K, so the Restatement applies. Unless expressly stated, an offer stays open for a reasonable amount of time (RS40)(Ever-tite). Here, ...

Should I write UCC 2-309 in there, too?
Egh. As a matter of personal judgment I wouldn't. Offer and acceptance are complete bullshit under the UCC. The UCC encourages and facilitates transactions and commercial dealings. Both are meant to be construed extremely liberally. The restatement has much more exacting rules for acceptance here.

You could get into really interesting 45/62 issues of unilateral/bilateral acceptance, acceptance by silence, etc. just based off the limited info you provided her alone. I can't see why you'd want to bring the UCC--which super defers to the common law for advice on acceptance (as stated in article I)--for permission. it'd be a poor proportioning use of time and creativity.

I think issues like the battle of the forms, course of performance/usage of trade/course of dealing, mitigation, impossibility--issues that are more complex that have stronger definitions in both the restatement and UCC would present more interesting opportunities to do this.

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:29 am

from the dozens of K hypos i looked at as a 1l i never had trouble identifying a sale of goods. i wouldn't worry about it. as for the above poster's recommendation that you analogize restatement to ucc and point out differences and other stuff like that, i'm not sure if that's a good use of your time unless the question asks for this type of stuff. spot as many issues as you can, provide analysis/argue both sides/speculate, and move on.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:57 am

My professor said he will award more points if you provide authority for your propositions. So do et!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”