Ran out of time on exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
purell2

Ran out of time on exam

Postby purell2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Hey guys,

I just took an essay exam with several different question prompts. I jumped around a lot, expecting to having time to return at the end to fill in the gaps. Big mistake. I completely ran out of time and ended up turning in the exam with several unfinished sentences and incomplete thoughts (i.e. "the defendant would likely argue…….."). Content aside, do profs take off for this sort of thing? I normally check my work.. this exam was a huge time crunch.

Thanks!

ben4847

Re: Ran out of time on exam

Postby ben4847 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:53 pm

purell2 wrote:Hey guys,

I just took an essay exam with several different question prompts. I jumped around a lot, expecting to having time to return at the end to fill in the gaps. Big mistake. I completely ran out of time and ended up turning in the exam with several unfinished sentences and incomplete thoughts (i.e. "the defendant would likely argue…….."). Content aside, do profs take off for this sort of thing? I normally check my work.. this exam was a huge time crunch.

Thanks!

should be fine. I can't imagine a prof taking off points for that. You'll get credit for what you wrote, and that's it

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:56 pm

purell2 wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks!

This is how most exams are, designed to be unfinishable in the allotted time. You're fine, focus on the next one.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Don't worry about it. You just have to keep moving on to your next exam and try not to worry. All profs grade differently, and if you didn't complete a thought most just ignore it. Good luck on your other exams!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Doesn't matter bc you can't do anything about it now breh

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:24 pm

that is not running out of time. running out of time is providing no answer for 10/70 points on an exam. fucking civ pro haunts my GPA to this day. Possibly the difference between the jobs I wanted and the job I got.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:45 pm

move on, dont worry about it.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:59 am

#1 rule of law school: after you take an exam, you FORGET about it move on.
Last edited by Julio_El_Chavo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:39 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:#1 rule of law school: after you take an exam, you FORGET it about it move on.

TITextremelyCR

protein

Postby protein » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:#1 rule of law school: after you take an exam, you FORGET it about it move on.

easier said than done!

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:03 pm

protein wrote:

easier said than done!

It's still the CR.

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:45 pm

TTH wrote:
protein wrote:

easier said than done!

It's still the CR.

I talk about it constantly as soon as it's over and make sure to mention facts that weren't in the fact pattern to make arguments that had no place being made. This really freaks kids out and it's fun.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:48 pm

The paradox with "running out of time" on an exam is that's actually a good thing with some exceptions. Shows at least you spotted a good # of issues on a typical horse race exam where there are too many to cram in 3 hours. I'd be worried if I had too much time left over.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:07 pm

zeth006 wrote:The paradox with "running out of time" on an exam is that's actually a good thing with some exceptions. Shows at least you spotted a good # of issues on a typical horse race exam where there are too many to cram in 3 hours. I'd be worried if I had too much time left over.

morris248

Postby morris248 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:37 pm

It appears that you have not learned time management. You don't "jump around" on an exam. At the beginning of the exam you set a certain amount of time for each question. When your time runs out on that question, then is when you move on to the next one whether you are finished or not. You have to learn to write clear and concise and ways to use abbreviations, etc. to make better use of your time. You never write out "probable cause", you use PC for example. It does not sound like much but it can make a big difference as you go through the exam.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”