ROTC Scholarship in Law School?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shintopig

ROTC Scholarship in Law School?

Postby shintopig » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm considering joining the Army ROTC to help comission as a JAG Officer. Of course becoming an Army Officer is what ROTC is all about, but I still am wondering about this:

Is it possible/likely to recieve an ROTC scholarship for Law School? I've heard that you can get the first 2 years of your schooling paid for inlcluding books & living stipend (but you have to serve 4 years Active Duty instead of 3)? Anyone know about this?

NotMyRealName09

Re: ROTC Scholarship in Law School?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Perhaps this Marine JAG recruiting officer can answer your question. I know its not Army, but he's probably knowledgable about such things.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=183456

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:00 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Perhaps this Marine JAG recruiting officer can answer your question. I know its not Army, but he's probably knowledgable about such things.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=183456

Thanks. I posted and am awaiting his response.

northerniowan

Postby northerniowan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:17 pm

ROTC scholarships are only for undergrad:-(. I missed the boat on that one too. The only ROTC affiliated law program is Graduate Law Program with the Air Force.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Sun May 20, 2012 1:31 am

northerniowan wrote:ROTC scholarships are only for undergrad:-(. I missed the boat on that one too. The only ROTC affiliated law program is Graduate Law Program with the Air Force.

That's too bad. From what a hear they JAG Corps from all the services lose a lot of their experienced officers just after their first 4-year contract becuase they can't pay back their loans.

I mean I hear that there's a SLRP for up to $65k over 3 years, but with a 6-8% interest rate on your loans, $65k helps only just a little. I guess this is good because it cuts out some competition, but I mean for obvious reasons it makes the JAG Corps a tough sell for top law students.

acw1213

Postby acw1213 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:37 am

Last edited by acw1213 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BattleBuddy

Postby BattleBuddy » Wed May 23, 2012 1:21 am

You will not be assigned to the JAG branch out of AROTC. You'll end up going to BOLC B for one of the basic branches (i.e. IN, AR, OD, TC, EN, FA, MC, MI, SC, MP, QM, AG, etc...) and become a newly minted butter-bar. You can always try to transfer, but have fun with that. Education delay is not an option as you're already in law school.

Easier to just try for the boards as a civilian to direct commission JAG because let's be honest, most of the people on TLS don't want or have what it takes to be a basic branch Army officer.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”