Learning how to Bluebook

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jessuf

Learning how to Bluebook

Postby jessuf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:32 am

So my current school does not use Bluebook because they are crazy. Are there better ways to learn how to cite via Bluebook other than just reading the book? I want to figure out what I'm doing prior to the write-on competition at a transfer school because I won't have time that week to teach myself anything.

Renzo

Re: Learning how to Bluebook

Postby Renzo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:04 am

--LinkRemoved--

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:49 am

I wish you would have asked this earlier in the semester, I could have let you do some of my cite check packets for practice :)

But seriously, I think practice is the only way. The above link looks good. See if you can find similar stuff.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:08 am

You don't need to be familiar with it. I had literally never looked at the white pages before beginning my write on competition. All you need to know is LOOK UP EVERYTHING IN THE INDEX. Citing to a speech, just look up "speech" in the index. Citing a foreign constitution, just look up "constitution, foreign" or whatever. Seriously that is all you need. After a year on law review, I've only "memorized" two citation formats (cases and articles). The index is so useful that you just don't need to worry about "learning" it or whatever. Just look up EVERY LITTLE THING.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:52 am

There's a Bluebook guide called, "Understanding and Mastering the Bluebook," by Linda Barris. It just covers pretty basic citations, though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”