I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby MachineLemon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:14 am

TTTLS wrote:Neutral. Milk. Hotel.


TITCR

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby charliep » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:18 am

MachineLemon wrote:
TTTLS wrote:Neutral. Milk. Hotel.


TITCR


assuming we were all introduced to them with their third album, was anyone else really disappointed with "On Avery Island"

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:20 am

charliep wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:
TTTLS wrote:Neutral. Milk. Hotel.


TITCR


assuming we were all introduced to them with their third album, was anyone else really disappointed with "On Avery Island"

No.

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby charliep » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:22 am

seriously? i know it's weird to criticize the "evolution years" or whatever, but it elicited such a profound meh from me

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby TTTLS » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:22 am

charliep wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:
TTTLS wrote:Neutral. Milk. Hotel.


TITCR


assuming we were all introduced to them with their third album, was anyone else really disappointed with "On Avery Island"

I actually dig On Avery Island (they've made way stranger stuff), but more so the live recordings of those songs. I have about a gig of their gigs on my external hd.

Saw Jeff Mangum earlier this month. It was beautiful.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:23 am

I knew this thread would turn into a "name as many obscure bands as you can to sound cool" fest


...my cousin Vinny

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:24 am

If it's a chick, tell her you're a big fan of Chris Brown.

I knew this thread had potential and I'm glad to see that it's being realized.

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:28 am

the andrews sisters....they're the bee's knees!

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby goodolgil » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:28 am

Just say Radiohead I guess.

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby charliep » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:30 am

Br3v wrote:I knew this thread would turn into a "name as many obscure bands as you can to sound cool" fest


...my cousin Vinny


how obscure can a band be if 4 different users are talking about it. speaking of obscure bands, however, the OP should just make up names. people will think you know your shit cuz they never heard of it, and no one can talk bad about it. for instance, "Aesop's Kegels"

skyline95
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby skyline95 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:32 am

what do you mean you "don't listen to music?"

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:34 am

charliep wrote:
Br3v wrote:I knew this thread would turn into a "name as many obscure bands as you can to sound cool" fest


...my cousin Vinny


how obscure can a band be if 4 different users are talking about it. speaking of obscure bands, however, the OP should just make up names. people will think you know your shit cuz they never heard of it, and no one can talk bad about it. for instance, "Aesop's Kegels"

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUS CHRIIIIIIIIST

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUS CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LOOOOVE YOOOOOOOOOOU YES I DO

ETA: Yeah, just say Neutral Milk Hotel, OP
Last edited by Tom Joad on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:34 am

OP, there is no safe answer. If you say a band, and they don't know about it, the person is likely to ask you more about their music. If you say a band that they like, they're likely to start talking more specifically about them. Either way, unless you're a great liar, it will be obvious that you don't know what you're talking about, and they're going to immediately judge you for being that type of weirdo that would lie about their favorite band.

The solution is to stop being a weirdo and start listening to music.
Last edited by bceagles182 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby shock259 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:34 am


User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:39 am

charliep wrote:
Br3v wrote:I knew this thread would turn into a "name as many obscure bands as you can to sound cool" fest


...my cousin Vinny


how obscure can a band be if 4 different users are talking about it. speaking of obscure bands, however, the OP should just make up names. people will think you know your shit cuz they never heard of it, and no one can talk bad about it. for instance, "Aesop's Kegels"


"If 4 people claim to know about a band, it is not obscure. Four people are talking about a band therefor the band is not obscure."

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby charliep » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:44 am

Br3v wrote:
charliep wrote:
Br3v wrote:I knew this thread would turn into a "name as many obscure bands as you can to sound cool" fest


...my cousin Vinny


how obscure can a band be if 4 different users are talking about it. speaking of obscure bands, however, the OP should just make up names. people will think you know your shit cuz they never heard of it, and no one can talk bad about it. for instance, "Aesop's Kegels"


"If 4 people claim to know about a band, it is not obscure. Four people are talking about a band therefor the band is not obscure."


as opposed to your argument of "i have not heard of this band. bands i have not heard of are obscure. therefore, this band is obscure." also, i was merely questioning the degree of obscurity, never said not obscure

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:46 am

charliep wrote:
Br3v wrote:
charliep wrote:
Br3v wrote:I knew this thread would turn into a "name as many obscure bands as you can to sound cool" fest


...my cousin Vinny


how obscure can a band be if 4 different users are talking about it. speaking of obscure bands, however, the OP should just make up names. people will think you know your shit cuz they never heard of it, and no one can talk bad about it. for instance, "Aesop's Kegels"


"If 4 people claim to know about a band, it is not obscure. Four people are talking about a band therefor the band is not obscure."


as opposed to your argument of "i have not heard of this band. bands i have not heard of are obscure. therefore, this band is obscure." also, i was merely questioning the degree of obscurity, never said not obscure


Ok, because I would imagine you having a hard time claiming that a majority of the bands listed are not obscure, as in they probably still connect to their fans through MySpace.

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby charliep » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:50 am

i thought you were talking about one band in particular, which isnt that obscure. in fact, it was referenced in a parcs and rec episode once (a broad comedy) (oh, and i know this doesnt necessarily mean anything with regards to its "obscurity," which is a relative term anyways, so what are we arguing about). i guess i'd agree with you for the general thread, tho (but really hasnt gotten that bad)

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby TTTLS » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:58 am

Neutral Milk Hotel is not that obscure. :evil:

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:00 am

Image
Just for SMS's current avatar.
Last edited by Tom Joad on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby charliep » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:02 am

TTTLS wrote:Neutral Milk Hotel is not that obscure. :evil:


i dont understand. would you like it to be more obscure?

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby TTTLS » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:04 am

charliep wrote:
TTTLS wrote:Neutral Milk Hotel is not that obscure. :evil:


i dont understand. would you like it to be more obscure?

No. I want as many people as possible to enjoy the music.

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby charliep » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:06 am

i agree. i didnt understand the angry man face

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby RedBirds2011 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:07 am

TTTLS wrote:Neutral Milk Hotel is not that obscure. :evil:


Never heard of em :lol:

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby TTTLS » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:10 am

Image




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: deadthrone7, Fed_Atty, Nachoo2019, Nylon, theyahz, wg6524 and 19 guests