I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby bartleby » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:14 am

coldplay - just cause it's mainstream doesn't mean it isn't awesomeeeeee

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:15 am

kalvano wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:Do you like Phil Collins?


I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.



Image

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:20 am

Pick something most people have heard of, but don't know very well, but that they also associate with cool people. The answer really depends on your target audience. You have to feel their vibes, what they are wearing, how old they are, etc. (this may pose a challenge if you have an Aspergers spectrum disorder).

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby kaiser » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:20 am

Hey Paul! AHHHH!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 am

Just say Pink Floyd, you'd have to be silly not to like Floyd.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:28 am

wait... how do you not like music?

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby kaiser » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:31 am

traehekat wrote:wait... how do you not like music?


Something tells me he doesn't like sports or other things that normal males converse about. Presumptuous? Sure, but I trust my hunches.

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:36 am

kalvano wrote:Just say Pink Floyd, you'd have to be silly not to like Floyd.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:36 am

kaiser wrote:
traehekat wrote:wait... how do you not like music?


Something tells me he doesn't like sports or other things that normal males converse about. Presumptuous? Sure, but I trust my hunches.


i was actually going to say, i am highly suspicious of people who dont like music or sports.

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby TTTLS » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:40 am

Oh, and IBTL.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:43 am

traehekat wrote:
kaiser wrote:
traehekat wrote:wait... how do you not like music?


Something tells me he doesn't like sports or other things that normal males converse about. Presumptuous? Sure, but I trust my hunches.


i was actually going to say, i am highly suspicious of people who dont like music or sports.


Is that an either-or thing? What if you like one but not the other?

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby monkey85 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:44 am

One Direction.

Tell everyone that you listen to them. All. Day.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby dowu » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:44 am

The Black Keys is obviously TCR.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpaPBCBjSVc


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_PrT25o8Vs


I've seen them and they are SO bad ass live. I couldn't believe it. If you told a girl who liked The Black Keys that you liked the Black Keys, you'd get laid. Its a fact and has been well documented to prove it.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:45 am

If a male doesn't like sports it raises a big red flag.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:46 am

Tom Joad wrote:If a male doesn't like sports it raises a big red flag.


Sports in general or specific sports?

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:49 am

kalvano wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:If a male doesn't like sports it raises a big red flag.


Sports in general or specific sports?

At least sports in general. I have heard of bosses that wouldn't hire men unless they at least played high school football, so I doubt I am the only one.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:50 am

NYC2014 wrote:
willwilliams1334 wrote:Do you like Phil Collins?

I've got two ears and a heart, don't I?

lol

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:52 am

kalvano wrote:
traehekat wrote:
kaiser wrote:
traehekat wrote:wait... how do you not like music?


Something tells me he doesn't like sports or other things that normal males converse about. Presumptuous? Sure, but I trust my hunches.


i was actually going to say, i am highly suspicious of people who dont like music or sports.


Is that an either-or thing? What if you like one but not the other?


not an either-or thing, to me that is like saying you like eating food but you dont like drinking fluids. i'll admit its not THAT uncommon to meet dudes who have basically 0 interest in sports, though. but people who dont like music? how is that even possible?

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:55 am

How are you a 22 year old male in NYC who doesn't like music? Any at all? Seriously, where the fuck did you grow up and who was responsible for ruining raising you?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:55 am

I find it incredibly sad that someone could not like music. I'm thankful for music pretty much every day.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:56 am

not an either-or thing, to me that is like saying you like eating food but you dont like drinking fluids. i'll admit its not THAT uncommon to meet dudes who have basically 0 interest in sports, though. but people who dont like music? how is that even possible?


I don't know that I've met too many people who straight up don't like music. At the same time, my music listening is limited to the radio when I'm in the car, and that's usually five minutes on the way to work and five minutes on the way home each day. There's a lot of music I really like, I just happen to prefer silence in most situations, but I think a lot of times people conflate not needing to have music on constantly with not liking music - the OP, for example, who stated he doesn't listen to music, not that he doesn't like it.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby bartleby » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:59 am

what is worse? a person who says they don't like music or a person who says that if given a choice between being blind or being deaf, they'd rather be blind...

i fucking hate it when people say that. unless they are mozart or something, no one should say that. end rant. good night.

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby RedBirds2011 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:03 am

bartleby wrote:what is worse? a person who says they don't like music or a person who says that if given a choice between being blind or being deaf, they'd rather be blind...

i fucking hate it when people say that. unless they are mozart or something, no one should say that. end rant. good night.


+100. I don't get this either! Take my ears not my eyes.

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:18 am

RedBirds2011 wrote:
bartleby wrote:what is worse? a person who says they don't like music or a person who says that if given a choice between being blind or being deaf, they'd rather be blind...

i fucking hate it when people say that. unless they are mozart or something, no one should say that. end rant. good night.


+100. I don't get this either! Take my ears not my eyes.


The most famous lawyer of all time would disagree with you....

Image

pno12006
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby pno12006 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 am

Pick a band named after a place. It's very retro and, therefore, awesome!

Just to name a few: Chicago, Boston, Alabama, Kansas, Europe, and Asia.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests