I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
arkansawyer

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Postby arkansawyer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Tell guys you like Led Zeppelin; tell girls you like Mumford and Sons

KellyFan2000

Postby KellyFan2000 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I bonded with an interviewer at OCI talking about death metal and Ted Leo and I still didn't get a callback, so OP I don't think it matters much.

This is supremely disappointing. One would hope a vast knowledge of the Cannibal Corpse catalog = NLJ250 guarantee. Yet another reason not to gun for big law.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Given my 'tar and username...I'm obliged to suggest Daft Punk.

To be truly hip, one must count at least one masked and/or French electronic music duo amongst his or her favorite acts.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Postby TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:41 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Given my 'tar and username...I'm obliged to suggest Daft Punk.

To be truly hip, one must count at least one masked and/or French electronic music duo amongst his or her favorite acts.

Does Boards of Canada count? I know they're Scottish, but let's presume their name refers to the Frenchier parts of Canada.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:45 pm

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:Given my 'tar and username...I'm obliged to suggest Daft Punk.

Does Boards of Canada count? I know they're Scottish, but let's presume their name refers to the Frenchier parts of Canada.

the name is actually a play on a television show, IIRC. but regardless, credited.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Not masked, not French. Come on dude...

Never heard of them before though. Listening to dayvan cowboy now and digging it.

It's like My Bloody Valentine meets Air.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:51 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:

Never heard of them before though. Listening to dayvan cowboy now and digging it.

try Oirectine, An Eagle in Your Mind, and Happy Cycling.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:52 pm

I am known to listen to Happy Cycling on repeat for hours while writing papers.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Postby TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:57 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:

I can do French bands, I can do masked bands, I can do electronic acts, and I can even do duos, but I think there is only one band that stands at the intersection of those 4 qualities, and you got there first. It wasn't a fair fight.

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:25 pm

--ImageRemoved--

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:28 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:

I can do French bands, I can do masked bands, I can do electronic acts, and I can even do duos, but I think there is only one band that stands at the intersection of those 4 qualities, and you got there first. It wasn't a fair fight.

I was just kidding dewd...I liked Boards of Canada though.

The other French duo I had in mind was Justice. The other masked one - The Bloody Beetroots.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Dingos Ate My Baby.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Honestly, as a 22 year old male in NYC, just say "Radiohead, mostly their stuff from the 'Ok Computer' era, couldn't get into their later stuff." Just leave it at that and people will respect you but not bother you.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:44 pm

TLS_noobie wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

No

T00L

Postby T00L » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:46 pm

NYC2014 wrote:More than once I've been asked and have been like...uh...Pink Floyd? (In reality, I can't stand PF - I've tried more than once but it just sounds horrible.)

What's an appropriate band to say is my favorite? I'm a 22 year old male 1L in NYC, by the way.

We are not ever going to get along. Ever

EDIT: and if you dont listen to music, why would you pretend you do? People who really care about music will see right through you...

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:52 pm

T00L wrote:
NYC2014 wrote:More than once I've been asked and have been like...uh...Pink Floyd? (In reality, I can't stand PF - I've tried more than once but it just sounds horrible.)

What's an appropriate band to say is my favorite? I'm a 22 year old male 1L in NYC, by the way.

We are not ever going to get along. Ever

EDIT: and if you dont listen to music, why would you pretend you do? People who really care about music will see right through you...

Agreed.

And in the spirit of faking interest in things, I think it's way more important to fake an interest in sports. At least for job-hunting purposes. Whenever conversation dies, there's always a game of something that can be talked about.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:06 pm

arkansawyer wrote:Tell guys you like Led Zeppelin; tell girls you like Mumford and Sons

MOR bullshit. Tell people you like the Stones if you want to seem rock.

Joad, Actress is TCR paper writing music

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:03 am

The Strokes. Interpol. Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Especially if you're interviewing with a lot of NYC firms (1L at NYU, I'd guess that's going to be the case when you do OCI). Three great bands, all New York bands as well. Probably defined as "hipster" but mainstream enough that most people at least know of them or have heard some of their music.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:30 am

strokes788 wrote:The Strokes. Interpol. Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Especially if you're interviewing with a lot of NYC firms (1L at NYU, I'd guess that's going to be the case when you do OCI). Three great bands, all New York bands as well. Probably defined as "hipster" but mainstream enough that most people at least know of them or have heard some of their music.

Can't wait to list LSAT, class rank, and favorite garage rock revival bands on my resume.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:34 am

TTTLS wrote:Can't wait to list LSAT, class rank, and favorite garage rock revival bands on my resume.

White Stripes = BIG DETROIT LAW

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:44 am

Tom Joad wrote:
TTTLS wrote:Can't wait to list LSAT, class rank, and favorite garage rock revival bands on my resume.

White Stripes = BIG DETROIT LAW
Seen them live THREE TIMES. I love the White Stripes. I learned guitar by listening to and watching Jack White play. Do you think I'll get the SA position?

snailio

Postby snailio » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:29 am

tell them Imelda May especially on Jeff Beck's Rock 'N' Roll party album, (honoring Les Paul) and Haircut One Hundred from back in the day.

done deal.

Grond

Postby Grond » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:57 am

Joy Division. Sneer at people who don't know that Ian Curtis died for our sins.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:01 am

Hipster Pro Tip: Just make up a band name and enjoy your newfound street cred.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 am

Ok how has no one mentioned Bieber yet? OP, tell girls you like the Biebs (and also the Twilight soundtracks). BOOM! Panty dropper.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”