I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tebowforpresident

New

Re: I don't listen to music. What's a non-embarrassing band?

Post by tebowforpresident » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:23 am

Napt wrote:Carly Rae Jepsen
+1

Girls love that song, and to the OP no sports or music? Huge red flag in my book but to each his own i guess.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:51 pm

tebowforpresident wrote:
Napt wrote:Carly Rae Jepsen
+1

Girls love that song, and to the OP no sports or music? Huge red flag in my book but to each his own i guess.
Giving tebow publicity by including him in your handle? Huge red flag in my book but to each his own i guess.

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Tue May 01, 2012 11:42 pm

The Jonas Brothers

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 am

Queens of the Stone Age. You can only say them if you are somewhat manly, though. And by the looks of this thread, it is doubtful that is the case.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed May 02, 2012 12:09 am

sknight323 wrote:Queens of the Stone Age. You can only say them if you are somewhat manly, though. And by the looks of this thread, it is doubtful that is the case.
Credited.

QOTSA also has the best music video of all time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Wed May 02, 2012 12:54 am

Tom Joad wrote:
sknight323 wrote:Queens of the Stone Age. You can only say them if you are somewhat manly, though. And by the looks of this thread, it is doubtful that is the case.
Credited.

my favorite part of this video is the sperm swimming around.

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Wed May 02, 2012 1:36 am

Tell them you like Captain Beyond. They'll assume it's a hipster band, but then love the fact that it's a band from the 70's that just kicks you in the nuts for the whole album.

Or, as others have alluded, Creed, Nickelback, Stained should let you find people you'd probably get along with.

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:25 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Credited.

Agreed.

nkp007

Bronze

Post by nkp007 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC2014

Bronze

Post by NYC2014 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:15 pm

I've decided I'm going to say my favorite band is Rush. I'll do research later on to figure out the name of its most popular song, how many people are in the band, if they're still together, what kind of music they play, etc, later on.

I'd say thanks for the help, but unhelpful thread was unhelpful.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed May 02, 2012 5:20 pm

NYC2014 wrote:I've decided I'm going to say my favorite band is Rush. I'll do research later on to figure out the name of its most popular song, how many people are in the band, if they're still together, what kind of music they play, etc, later on.

If this is serious this probably a terrible idea. Rush fans tend to be fanatical and if you run into anyone they'll figure out you're bullshitting right away.

Their most popular song is probably Tom Sawyer, but if they were your favorite band that wouldn't be your favorite song.
There are 3 people in the band, they're still together (new album coming out and tour this summer), prog rock would probably be the best way to describe them.

They're kind of an acquired taste, and this is a totally weird choice for someone who doesn't like music, but if you are determined to make up a favorite band it's an acceptable choice

NYC2014

Bronze

Post by NYC2014 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
NYC2014 wrote:I've decided I'm going to say my favorite band is Rush. I'll do research later on to figure out the name of its most popular song, how many people are in the band, if they're still together, what kind of music they play, etc, later on.

If this is serious this probably a terrible idea. Rush fans tend to be fanatical and if you run into anyone they'll figure out you're bullshitting right away.

Their most popular song is probably Tom Sawyer, but if they were your favorite band that wouldn't be your favorite song.
There are 3 people in the band, they're still together (new album coming out and tour this summer), prog rock would probably be the best way to describe them.

They're kind of an acquired taste, and this is a totally weird choice for someone who doesn't like music, but if you are determined to make up a favorite band it's an acceptable choice
That won't be a problem. I can blow smoke up the tightest of buttholes.

Genki

Bronze

Post by Genki » Wed May 02, 2012 5:29 pm

You could certainly do worse than Rush. Great band.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BK201

New

Post by BK201 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:35 pm

NYC2014 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:

That won't be a problem. I can blow smoke up the tightest of buttholes.
--ImageRemoved--

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

New

Post by TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Wed May 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Genki wrote:You could certainly do worse than Rush. Great band.
Is your name from Ikaruga? If so, awesome.

To further pretend this thread isn't a complete hoax, I would think saying any band from the 70's (or at least, whose hayday was in the 70's) would be a bad idea because of your age. If a 22 year old tells me he likes Zeppelin or Rush, I am going to assume he has more than a passing interest in music and may try to talk music with him. Since music is almost universally liked and a lot of the people you will be talking to were around when these bands were cool/not retro, they too might try to talk to you about them. It seems like your point is to just have an answer that gets you through the music conversation without prolonging it, and I don't think Rush accomplishes that.

Good luck with that tight butthole thing, though.

NYC2014

Bronze

Post by NYC2014 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:52 pm

If worst comes to worst I'll fake a heart attack. I've done it so many times I'd like to think I'm getting rather good at it.

transmetropolitan

New

Post by transmetropolitan » Wed May 02, 2012 6:02 pm

if you think you can get into some older, classic bands check out a few of the initial albums from the Rolling Stones.

this may sound cliche, but their early stuff has a lot of blues, honky-tonk, and folk (amongst others) influences that melds into just fantastic rock n' roll and songwriting. albums like Let It Bleed, Aftermath, Exile on Main St... and if you can listen to them on different ends of the sound quality spectrum, from scratchy vinyl to remastered digital, you might even have a more nuanced digging of how they hold-up. if you can find a local dive that won't be peeved if you play one of these albums in its entirety, even better.

if you're looking for something more contemporary that still rocks, consider recent popular bands like The Black Keys (they've really grown into their sound) and Wolfmother.

i'd suggest many many others, from Massive Attack to Radiohead to Depeche Mode to Morphine, and still more less popular bands (that sounds a bit annoying, admittedly)... but i feel like the Stones are a great intro to the staying power of rock n' roll.

amen.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Genki

Bronze

Post by Genki » Wed May 02, 2012 6:06 pm

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:
Genki wrote:You could certainly do worse than Rush. Great band.
Is your name from Ikaruga? If so, awesome.
Genki just means happy or in a good mood, but I do love me some Ikaruga.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:06 pm

NYC2014 wrote:If worst comes to worst I'll fake a heart attack. I've done it so many times I'd like to think I'm getting rather good at it.
Just say Springsteen. You usually just listen to his greatest hits and Born to Run is your favorite song. They'll walk away thinking you are not particularly into music (which you're not) and do not have a particularly sophisticated taste, but nobody's going to hold that answer against you either.

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Thu May 03, 2012 1:34 pm

NYC2014 wrote:If worst comes to worst I'll fake a heart attack. I've done it so many times I'd like to think I'm getting rather good at it.
Are you actually Larry David?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”