(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
doubled99

Re: US Marine Corps JAG Opportunities (Answering Questions)

Postby doubled99 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 am

I pm'd you, ijmiddleton.

drew2056

Postby drew2056 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:44 am

Hi ijmiddleton:
Thanks so much for answering questions about Marine JAG. I applied for Army JAG and didn't make it last cycle. Can you evaluate my chances? I am going to follow pretty much the same format as dfmmalaw.

Law School: TTT School

Scholastic Involvement:
1) Executive Board member of Mock Trial, Moot Court, Treasurer of the SBA, and founding member of an Intramural Sports Student Organization.
2) Research Assistant and Teacher's Assistant
3) Mock Trial and Moot Court National Team (Buffalo-Niagara, Young Texas Lawyer's Competition, and ABA Competition)
4) 1st Place Mock Trial Winner for two School Competitions

Legal Experience:
1) I have interned with the State Appellate Defender's Office, Local Prosecutor's Office, Local Federal Judge, and Staff Attorney's Office for the Federal Court.
2) I externed over the summer at the US Attorney's Office.

Community Involvement: (this is where I am weak)
1) I have been involved yearly with a charitable organization that gives kid's gifts at Christmas
2) I participated in a yearly Food Drive at Thanksgiving through my SBA involvement.

Family: Single, never married and no children.

Work History:
I worked full-time at a local bank to put myself through College, and I quit that job to go to LS.

Moral:
Never been arrested; only have minor traffic tickets.

Academic:
I homeschooled my whole life, went to a very small college then LS. Did very well in college. I took the SAT under the old scoring system and I think I scored a 1070 (I was a sophomore in HS and didn’t study a lick, as it never occurred to me that I could get an academic scholarship if I studied). Also didn’t study for the LSAT and I got a 158. Law School GPA 3.80/4.0 with 6 Certificate of Merits, and I will be taking the July Bar Exam.

Physical:
To be honest, this has suffered since LS. But I could work my way up to an acceptable level I am 5’ 7” and 160 lbs.

Medical:
No major medical issues.

Can you give me an honest assessment of my chances at JAG? I have no military experience, but have always been interested in joining as my grandfather is a Purple Heart recipient. I love everything that JAG offers and the opportunity to serve my country. One final question, how likely is it to be transferred from a JAG position to a non-JAG position? If I am correct, I believe this is a possibility in the Marine Corps. Thanks so much for your time and feedback.

ijmiddleton

Postby ijmiddleton » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 pm

drew2056 wrote:Hi ijmiddleton:
Thanks so much for answering questions about Marine JAG. I applied for Army JAG and didn't make it last cycle. Can you evaluate my chances? I am going to follow pretty much the same format as dfmmalaw.

Law School: TTT School

Scholastic Involvement:
1) Executive Board member of Mock Trial, Moot Court, Treasurer of the SBA, and founding member of an Intramural Sports Student Organization.
2) Research Assistant and Teacher's Assistant
3) Mock Trial and Moot Court National Team (Buffalo-Niagara, Young Texas Lawyer's Competition, and ABA Competition)
4) 1st Place Mock Trial Winner for two School Competitions

Legal Experience:
1) I have interned with the State Appellate Defender's Office, Local Prosecutor's Office, Local Federal Judge, and Staff Attorney's Office for the Federal Court.
2) I externed over the summer at the US Attorney's Office.

Community Involvement: (this is where I am weak)
1) I have been involved yearly with a charitable organization that gives kid's gifts at Christmas
2) I participated in a yearly Food Drive at Thanksgiving through my SBA involvement.

Work History:
I worked full-time at a local bank to put myself through College, and I quit that job to go to LS.

Moral:
Never been arrested; only have minor traffic tickets.

Academic:
I homeschooled my whole life, went to a very small college then LS. Did very well in college. I took the SAT under the old scoring system and I think I scored a 1070 (I was a sophomore in HS and didn’t study a lick, as it never occurred to me that I could get an academic scholarship if I studied). Also didn’t study for the LSAT and I got a 158. Law School GPA 3.80/4.0 with 6 Certificate of Merits, and I will be taking the July Bar Exam.

Physical:
To be honest, this has suffered since LS. But I could work my way up to an acceptable level I am 5’ 7” and 160 lbs.

Medical:
No major medical issues.

Can you give me an honest assessment of my chances at JAG? I have no military experience, but have always been interested in joining as my grandfather is a Purple Heart recipient. I love everything that JAG offers and the opportunity to serve my country. One final question, how likely is it to be transferred from a JAG position to a non-JAG position? If I am correct, I believe this is a possibility in the Marine Corps. Thanks so much for your time and feedback.

Hey bud, so honest assessment: You look strong overall, the only thing that is going to hurt you right now is the physical fitness. Luckily thats the thing you can fix pretty easily. I would recommend you get in contact with your OSO as soon as possible and begin working out with dedication. Also, obviously you need to pass the bar, but provided that happens and you can get to an acceptable level of physical condition (20 deadhang pullups, 100 crunches in 2 minutes, and run ~20:30 for the 3 mile) I would say your chances are very good. The only weak area is your SAT, but honestly with your LS GPA i dont think its going to hurt you too much. Keep in mind the Marine Corps doesnt take a ton of lawyers, so even with good numbers and physical fitness it may take you a couple of application cycles to get selected. Once you are selected, you better not come home from OCS, because there just isn't room for second chances in the current Corps. Hope that helps. Let me know if you would like contact info for the OSO in your area.

chicubs88

Postby chicubs88 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:14 pm

I was recently selected for Marine JAG and will be attending OCS this summer. For those of you with concerns about the PFT requirements, the average for the 3 candidates selected in my region was a 290 (20 pull-ups, 100 situps, 19:30/19:40 3 mile). From my very limited experience, both in terms of being selected and researching the various branches, is that the Marine Corps' academic requirements tend to be a little lower, and that seems to have a lot to do with the added emphasis on physical fitness - the Army and Navy don't require you to meet the stringent fitness requirements necessary to be a line officer, thus the pool of willing applicants tends to be much larger for those branches.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:20 pm

ijmiddleton wrote:
shintopig wrote:I have a quick question. I'm perhaps more interested in Army JAG, but I'm keeping my options open to all the opportunities available. My question is:

I'm looking into NROTC during Law School. Are there significant scholarship opportunities available if I join NROTC? Are they difficult to get? Thanks.

There is no NROTC for law school. There is financial aid, but it is negligible considering law school tuition (~8k/year with service stipulations). If you are more interested in Army I suggest you pursue that. Marine Corps JAG is not for everyone. I do not mean this in a condescending way at all, but considering that you must complete the entire Marine Officer curriculum (i.e. OCS and The Basic School) and become a provisional rifle platoon commander prior to even talking about UCMJ I have found that it is important that you specifically want to be a Marine in order to really be successful in this program, otherwise the pain and work that goes into it is just not worth it.

hope that helps!

Thank you, yes that does help. I am already looking into ROTC during law school to help my chances of comissioning as a JAG Officer. Off topic; I happen to be more interested in the Army than any other branch for my own specific reasons, so I'm going to pursue that route anyway. But your answer is well recieved reguardless.

Somewhat similar to how an Army JAG Officer is a Soldier first, a Marine JAG Officer is a Rifleman first; frankly I wouldn't have it any other way. I do know what you told me, that you'll have to do the full OCS & Basic School even for a JAG. A Marine in any branch should be a Marine through and through. You have to be a certain type of crazy (in a good way) to lead The Few and The Proud.

Thanks all the same.

chicubs88

Postby chicubs88 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Also, I am a current 1L and would encourage anyone interested to at least contact an OSO as soon as possible. The earlier you start the process the better. I know several 2L/3Ls who are applying now and the competition is incredibly fierce for those who wait until the end of their law school careers to apply.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi ijmiddleton:

Thanks so much for answering questions about Marine JAG. I am currently a 1L but am interested in pursuing the military as my career post law school. I was also wondering whether or not I would be able to intern during the school year for a semester or possibly for 2L summer. Also if you could fill me in on what an OSO is and how I contact one that would be awesome. Also thanks drew2056 for the template

Law School: T14

Scholastic Involvement:
1) Just a 1L but am the president of a club and a board member of another club
2) Grades are around median so far

Legal Experience:
1) I will be interning at a public defenders office this summer

Community Involvement: (this is where I am super weak)
1) Eagle Scout
2) Took notes for special needs students in ug but got paid

Work History:
I've worked part time since I was 14.

Moral:
Never been arrested. I have what I think is supposed to be an open container citation but it was only an infraction and cost me like $150 (so i'm not sure it ended up being that serious). I experimented with drugs in college but have been squeaky clean since I started law school.

Academic:
SAT under old system was in the 1200's lsat around 170's. I went to ug in Scotland for the four years but my gpa translates to about a 3.6

Physical:
Not a huge fan of running haven't done it in a while other than that I'm in pretty good shape. 6'0 about 175lbs.

Medical:
Plate and screws in my right knee, hasn't really effected what I can do physically.

A few family members were marines and both of my granddads served in WWII. I grew up in San Diego and the military has always had a stung presence in my life.

Thanks for any advice!

ijmiddleton

Postby ijmiddleton » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:55 am

FlanAl wrote:Hi ijmiddleton:

Thanks so much for answering questions about Marine JAG. I am currently a 1L but am interested in pursuing the military as my career post law school. I was also wondering whether or not I would be able to intern during the school year for a semester or possibly for 2L summer. Also if you could fill me in on what an OSO is and how I contact one that would be awesome. Also thanks drew2056 for the template

Law School: T14

Scholastic Involvement:
1) Just a 1L but am the president of a club and a board member of another club
2) Grades are around median so far

Legal Experience:
1) I will be interning at a public defenders office this summer

Community Involvement: (this is where I am super weak)
1) Eagle Scout
2) Took notes for special needs students in ug but got paid

Work History:
I've worked part time since I was 14.

Moral:
Never been arrested. I have what I think is supposed to be an open container citation but it was only an infraction and cost me like $150 (so i'm not sure it ended up being that serious). I experimented with drugs in college but have been squeaky clean since I started law school.

Academic:
SAT under old system was in the 1200's lsat around 170's. I went to ug in Scotland for the four years but my gpa translates to about a 3.6

Physical:
Not a huge fan of running haven't done it in a while other than that I'm in pretty good shape. 6'0 about 175lbs.

Medical:
Plate and screws in my right knee, hasn't really effected what I can do physically.

A few family members were marines and both of my granddads served in WWII. I grew up in San Diego and the military has always had a stung presence in my life.

Thanks for any advice!

Definitely apply. However, the knee thing could be a hang-up depending on how bad it is (its in the doctor's hands). For what its worth, I would try for a DODMERB Physical rather than MEPS, DODMERB tends to be more forgiving of passed injuries and retained hardware.

Also, learn to love running. You will not get selected if you cant score in the 285+ out of 300 on the physical fitness test.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:02 am

Thanks! Could you give me a ballpark timeline for applying? Any thoughts on whether other branches might be a little more forgiving regarding my leg? Thanks again for taking the time to answer questions.

Brickster

Postby Brickster » Sat May 05, 2012 3:59 am

Last edited by Brickster on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fitzsi32

Postby fitzsi32 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi ijmiddleton,

Following a similar format as others who have posted, I'm currently a Junior in Undergrad, going for a BA in International Relations, Member of the Honors College.

Work Experience:
I've had part time jobs since I was 16; Sales Associate at Play It Again Sports, Shuttle Driver at the Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement, and I am currently working as a Crisis Line Advocate at EVE Inc., a domestic violence emergency shelter. I realize this is not the best list of jobs, but at the same time I am only 19 not sure if that means anything?
Volunteer Experience:
Volunteered as a legal advocate at EVE's PPO office.
Various other community service; Bell-Ringing for the Salvation Army, volunteer coaching pole vault, raising money for DV shelters through marathon and half marathon running.
Research Experience:
Worked as a research assistant for the Consorium for Multicultural Psychology.
Currently working on the the Child Custody Project with the Violence Against Women Research and Outreach Initiative, which is a longitudinal research study designed to understand the experiences of women with children who are separating from an abusive partner. We are specifically interested in learning about safety concerns women have, and ways that family court can facilitate women and children's safety.

Family: Single, never married, no children and no intention of having children.

1) Moral - Never used drugs and have never even been pulled over.

2) Academic - I'm in my second year of undergrad, but I will be graduating in 3 years. My ACT was a 29, current GPA is a 3.8/4.0 at a Big 10 school. LSAT I haven't taken yet, but started studying for a few months ago and plan on taking spring 2013.

3) Physical - Not sure about the pull ups, that's definitely something I'd have to work on, but the crunches i could easily make the 100 mark in 2 minutes and I run 3 miles in about 22 minutes. I'm running the Detroit Free Press Marathon this year and have run a few half marathons. I'm a girl so I don't know if this makes any difference when it comes to the qualifying marks.

4) Medical - No medical issues, no prescriptions, I'm about 5'3" and 130 lbs.

I'm obviously interested in what my odds are, because I saw that you said you could apply as a senior in undergrad and I'm also curious as to how that application process works. Also what types of law will a Marine JAG see most on a day to day basis? And where are the most likely spots to be deployed to?

Thanks for any info!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”