Article submission strategy

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
VincentChase

Article submission strategy

Postby VincentChase » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:35 am

I'm pretty happy with a paper I recently wrote for a class, and would like to submit it to some journals for potential publication. Just a shot in the dark, you know?

I've got lots of info on how to submit to particularly law reviews, but I've been asking around about how to strategize sending them out to places.

FWIW (not sure if any of this matters):

* Graduating 3L at a T6
* Not on a journal
* No prior academic publications

Should I target lower tier law reviews first? Higher ones and work down? This is a timely topic, so I don't want to get preempted.

Dman

Re: Article submission strategy

Postby Dman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:44 am

Use ExpressO and bomb the shit out all journals, your school likely will pay for it. Timing of submission plays a big role. Now may not be the best time to submit because most journals, which are staffed by students, just are not reviewing submissions now. Late August is when things start picking back up.

As for rankings, again submit everywhere. Then use offers to leverage a higher journal via expedite requests, then use the higher journal to leverage an even higher journal etc. Keep that going till you either have no new offers or you are happy with where it is being published.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:16 pm

You may want to try to ferret out online-only journals that might be working over the summer. Otherwise, like the poster above said, no one is going to look at your submission all summer. I don't know how "timely" is "timely," but if it's that important (like about Obamacare or something) try to go there first. Some could publish you in a matter of weeks.

VincentChase

Postby VincentChase » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

It's on a recent Ct. App. decision in an emerging area of law. Very recent. No cert or anything at this point, but it's only a matter of time. The topic's been written about in journals, but this advanced the doctrine some. I just don't have a feel for how quickly you have to jump on this sort of thing to make sure it's not old news.

Also, I was worried that perhaps not being a student any more would hurt my chances.

If I actually have time, I might try to work on it some more to make it even better.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”