Summer Classes? Worth it or not?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NixiNonna88

Summer Classes? Worth it or not?

Postby NixiNonna88 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm a second semester 1L and I was curious about what ya'll think about summer classes? I applied for internships, submitted the collective resumes, and did the OCI's interviews on campus. I am currently awaiting any news at this point.

However, if I don't receive a single internship is taking summer classes a smart move? Or should I just lick my wounds, go home, and enjoy my summer break?

rad lulz

Re: Summer Classes? Worth it or not?

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:27 pm

Get an RA job. Don't take summer classes.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:Get an RA job. Don't take summer classes.

And don't just enjoy your summer break either.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Also I doubt that you tried as hard as you needed to to get summer work, OP. It's not unusual to send out 200+ resumes.

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Yeah get an RA job so you have something to talk about at oci. But I think you should also take an easy class or two. It will pay off when you can take a lighter course load 2L

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:40 pm

You absolutely have to get some kind of substantive legal work for the summer. Just taking summer classes is going to be a huge black mark on your resume for future employers. Hit the pavement harder to find something.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 pm

rad lulz wrote:Also I doubt that you tried as hard as you needed to to get summer work, OP. It's not unusual to send out 200+ resumes.

Rad, I'm not even in school yet but when do you need to start sending resumes out during your first year? After first semester grades?

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:00 pm

It's the end of April. If you still do not have a job, this is the time you start talking to friends of friends. I got a 1L job through a lady my dad knew from work. If that doesn't work, and you have to do something through school, do a clinic. For the love of all that is precious, do not take a traditional class. Do something where you can put something else down on your resume (the legal services group or office you did the clinic through "______ Public Defender"). There is nothing worse than just taking classes (besides not doing anything).
Last edited by eandy on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:13 pm

I interned for a federal judge and took a summer class my 1L summer. It was worth it.

Everyone here isn't answering your question - if you have NOTHING else, take the class. If you do land something, take the class.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:27 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:I interned for a federal judge and took a summer class my 1L summer. It was worth it.

Everyone here isn't answering your question - if you have NOTHING else, take the class. If you do land something, take the class.

Because it's April, not June, and there are still things like RA positions left.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Also I doubt that you tried as hard as you needed to to get summer work, OP. It's not unusual to send out 200+ resumes.

Rad, I'm not even in school yet but when do you need to start sending resumes out during your first year? After first semester grades?

Worry about it later bro.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:31 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:I interned for a federal judge and took a summer class my 1L summer. It was worth it.

Because it's April, not June, and there are still things like RA positions left.

TCR

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

You didn't address your question to me, but I'll answer (because I would actually be pretty surprised if anyone in my class did send out 200+ resumes). I sent out about 15 resumes, had 2 interviews, and got an offer from the second employer I interviewed with (with a paycheck, yay!). For judges and large firms your best bet is to send them out in early December, although people do apply later than that and still manage to get those positions in some cases. For most federal gov't jobs the timeline seems to be between December 1 and the end February or March. A lot of local gov't, small firm, and corporate employers that advertise at my school were not even planning to start reviewing resumes until March or later.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:21 pm

OP--Another bit of advice: kiss the ass of every employee in your Office of Career Planning. They know a hell of a lot of people. Some times an employer will need to make a quick hire (they might have a clerk who unexpectedly got an SA offer and accepted the offer). Small firms may call your OCP and ask if they have any recommendations.

I did well my 1L first semester and gunned for BigLaw SA's and federal externships. I interviewed with five big firms, got three callbacks, but didn't land any SA's. The judge who I was trying to extern for hired a family friend. Out of nowhere, a lawyer at a small firm in town emailed me and asked if I'd like to get a beer. We talked and he said he called my OCP and they told him I was a respectable, hard-working guy who still didn't have summer employment. Two weeks later, I had a paid clerk position (only $14/hour, but paid is paid these days!) for the summer.

I probably just got lucky, but long story short, getting a job isn't just about applying to everything you can. The economy sucks and employers often want to hire people based on a trustworthy recommendation more than a qualified resume. Networking with OCP (people who network for a living) is a good idea. Also talk to parents' friends who are attorneys. Talk to people from your high school who are older and may already have their JD's. Talk to anybody you know or have even a marginal relationship with in the legal community. They may not be hiring, but they might know somebody who is.

Keep looking for employment. Only taking classes is your absolute last option.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:25 pm

How many apps did you send out?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:17 pm

NixiNonna88 wrote: I applied for internships, submitted the collective resumes, and did the OCI's interviews on campus. I am currently awaiting any news at this point.

Why is applied past tense and why are you just sitting around waiting? You should be sending out applications every single day. There are still jobs out there.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:10 pm

FYI - if your summer gig is not 40+ hours per week you can see if summer courses are offered at convenient times. My school offers summer courses that meet on the evenings, weekends, or are taught remotely. The classes are offered at no additional cost and they may potentially enable you to graduate early.

I agree with everyone else though that summer courses are not a substitute for work.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”