GPA cutoff for Mayer Brown

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawskyandhutch

GPA cutoff for Mayer Brown

Postby lawskyandhutch » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:49 pm

What GPA does a Northwestern student need to have a shot at becoming a Mayer Brown summer associate? I don't mean what GPA do you need to be a shoe-in, just what GPA you need to have a plausible shot (so that if you hit it off well enough with your interviewer or something, you'd have a good shot at getting an offer).

rayiner

Re: GPA cutoff for Mayer Brown

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 pm

lawskyandhutch wrote:What GPA does a Northwestern student need to have a shot at becoming a Mayer Brown summer associate? I don't mean what GPA do you need to be a shoe-in, just what GPA you need to have a plausible shot (so that if you hit it off well enough with your interviewer or something, you'd have a good shot at getting an offer).

3.7+. They have a small summer class and a lot of law review types wanting to do appellate lit.

lawskyandhutch

Postby lawskyandhutch » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks! Shit, that's high. Do you think that's inflexible? What if one were to network the heck out of them?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:01 pm

lawskyandhutch wrote:Thanks! Shit, that's high. Do you think that's inflexible? What if one were to network the heck out of them?

Mayer is quite grade-snobby, probably about the same as Kirkland or Sidley. I'm sure there is some measure of flexibility, but less so than other firms.

lawskyandhutch

Postby lawskyandhutch » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:36 pm

OK, gotcha. Thanks!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:30 am

rayiner wrote:
lawskyandhutch wrote:Thanks! Shit, that's high. Do you think that's inflexible? What if one were to network the heck out of them?

Mayer is quite grade-snobby.

+1, this has been my experience.

lawskyandhutch

Postby lawskyandhutch » Thu May 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Are there any big firms in Chicago that are not very grade snobby? Or would be OK with a low first semester GPA and a high second semester GPA?

redbullvodka

Postby redbullvodka » Thu May 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Anyone have know what class rank is needed at UChi for Mayer?

downstream

Postby downstream » Wed May 16, 2012 6:14 am

I think Latham is less grade snobby. Mayer, Sidley and Jenner are hugely grade snobby. Winston was not traditionally grade snobby but this might be changing.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”