Remedies: good, bad, or ugly? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
target

Silver

Remedies: good, bad, or ugly?

Post by target » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:44 pm

I did a search on Remedies, but the results aren't many. So, wonder if there is anyone has taken Remedies before and has any comments/opinion about its usefulness in general and its difficulty?

cjstudent

New

Re: Remedies: good, bad, or ugly?

Post by cjstudent » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:43 pm

I found remedies to be really dry. It was my worst class the semester I took it, and I struggled to pay attention. That said, it was a really useful class. You need to know what remedies you can ask for as a lawyer and now that I've taken it I'm often shocked at how little of a clue my classmates have. Just go up to a 3L and ask if he knows what a declaratory judgment is. Probably won't. Probably should. So I would recommend it, but unless you have an easy teacher, don't expect it to be a breeze.

morris248

Bronze

Post by morris248 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:12 pm

I would agree if you intend to enter general practice as a civil trial attorney. Many defenses are equitable and so are many causes of action. Our courts are courts of law and equity and often there is an equitable remedy or defense where the law fails.

harborleaguemvp

New

Post by harborleaguemvp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Sitting in the class right now, it sucks. Don't spend an entire semester in this class, learn it in two days for the bar.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:59 am

Loved remedies, but mainly took it because of the professor. If he hadn't been great, class probably would just have felt like a repeat of torts and contracts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 am

Yeah, as my remedies professor put it remedies is not a real class. You should only take it if you have an interesting professor who can use that not a real class in an interesting way, so like I really enjoyed it cause the Prof was great. I can't say I learned any "law" in it though.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Remedies is largely a waste. At best, it's a recap of everything you learned as a 1L. At worst, it's the torture of reading arcane, 300 year-old cases.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”