TTT taking questions

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:10 pm

shawty18ga wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
shawty18ga wrote:
Holy hell. I'm a 2L at your school. I knew that this 1L class seemed like a bunch of fuck ups, but the bolded is pretty hard to believe.


I think a lot of the people in my class think that the recession does not exist for lawyers. My friend, who is jobless for the summer and doesn't have a very good ranking, is convinced his starting salary is going to be $100k.


A lot of people have also decided not to do the write-on competition for LR because they want to travel for the summer or don't want to subtract from beach/tanning time.


When I talk to people like that I feel bad for them for a moment, and then I thank God for them.

Don't underestimate the connections these students have. A buddy of mine goes to a TTT in the Northeast and a good chunk of the class are spoiled and out of touch sons/daughters of rich and well-connected parents who will make sure they have solid jobs at graduation. Now I do not think most TTTs are like this, and knowing the region that this certain TTT is located, I would say the demographics create a unique occurrence at the school.

The one thing that I think many on TLS disregard is the power of a strong network for a student. Yes, school reputation and grades matter when you are counting on that to get you ahead in your career. But for quite a few students, their family is well-connected enough that they can get by with going to a TTT.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12491
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby jessuf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:44 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Don't underestimate the connections these students have. A buddy of mine goes to a TTT in the Northeast and a good chunk of the class are spoiled and out of touch sons/daughters of rich and well-connected parents who will make sure they have solid jobs at graduation. Now I do not think most TTTs are like this, and knowing the region that this certain TTT is located, I would say the demographics create a unique occurrence at the school.

The one thing that I think many on TLS disregard is the power of a strong network for a student. Yes, school reputation and grades matter when you are counting on that to get you ahead in your career. But for quite a few students, their family is well-connected enough that they can get by with going to a TTT.



Well, a lot of people here are K-JDs from wealthy backgrounds and families of lawyers. However, I wouldn't say quite a few students are well-connected. Sure, I bet some will work for daddy, but I haven't heard anyone say they already have a job post-graduation through family/connections. It's more common to hear someone say they don't have a resume drafted yet. With that said, I think my school is sort of in a happy, little bubble. Everyone (students, faculty, career development, etc.) skirts the issue of ranking and job prospects.

shawty18ga
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:49 am

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby shawty18ga » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:07 pm

Yeah there are quite a few morons who will get jobs through their connections. Sucks for those of us who come from poor backgrounds.

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby TTTLS » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:50 pm

How brutal is your curve?

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby beachbum » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Jessuf wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Don't underestimate the connections these students have. A buddy of mine goes to a TTT in the Northeast and a good chunk of the class are spoiled and out of touch sons/daughters of rich and well-connected parents who will make sure they have solid jobs at graduation. Now I do not think most TTTs are like this, and knowing the region that this certain TTT is located, I would say the demographics create a unique occurrence at the school.

The one thing that I think many on TLS disregard is the power of a strong network for a student. Yes, school reputation and grades matter when you are counting on that to get you ahead in your career. But for quite a few students, their family is well-connected enough that they can get by with going to a TTT.



Well, a lot of people here are K-JDs from wealthy backgrounds and families of lawyers. However, I wouldn't say quite a few students are well-connected. Sure, I bet some will work for daddy, but I haven't heard anyone say they already have a job post-graduation through family/connections. It's more common to hear someone say they don't have a resume drafted yet. With that said, I think my school is sort of in a happy, little bubble. Everyone (students, faculty, career development, etc.) skirts the issue of ranking and job prospects.


This is making me have a lot less sympathy for TTT students.

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby TTTLS » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:55 pm

PSA: Taking the summer off between 1L and 2L as someone attending a TTT is tantamount to suicide.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12491
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby jessuf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:58 pm

TTTLS wrote:How brutal is your curve?


Not brutal. 3.0

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby adonai » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 pm

I think one of the reasons (albeit probably minor) TTT students don't have a large presence in biglaw is the sheer lack of knowledge regarding the processes of obtaining a biglaw job. For instance, my TTT always makes it a point to tell students that biglaw should be avoided like the plague and that the associates are miserable so we should not try to go that path. Whether this is to avoid the angry barrage of post-grads or to protect its reputation is unknown (ironically, the school's reputation would be probably be better if it placed more into biglaw). The school has so many trustees, alumni, and benefactors who are big time partners at big law firms that they either won't or can't utilize. My CSO basically told me that it is out of the question to apply to federal judges for externships as a 1L and top 10% was a pre-req. I followed TLS and applied anyway and now have two federal judge externships lined up. Really unhappy about this subtle way of suppressing students who really have some potential.
Last edited by adonai on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:49 pm

adonai wrote:I think one of the reasons (albeit probably minor) TTT students don't have a large presence in biglaw is the sheer lack of knowledge regarding the processes of obtaining a biglaw job. For instance, my TTT always makes it a point to tell students that biglaw should be avoided like the plague and that the associates are miserable so we should not try to go that path. Whether this is to avoid the angry barrage of post-grads or to protect its reputation is unknown (ironically, the school's reputation would be probably be better if it placed more into biglaw). The school has so many trustees, alumni, and benefactors who are big time partners at big law firms that they either won't or can't utilize. My CSO basically told me that it is out of the question to apply to federal judges for externships as a 1L. I followed TLS and applied anyway and now have two federal judge externships lined up. Really unhappy about this subtle way of suppressing students who really have some potential.


That's pretty shitty career services but firms don't hire at TTTs because they don't want to.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby adonai » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
adonai wrote:I think one of the reasons (albeit probably minor) TTT students don't have a large presence in biglaw is the sheer lack of knowledge regarding the processes of obtaining a biglaw job. For instance, my TTT always makes it a point to tell students that biglaw should be avoided like the plague and that the associates are miserable so we should not try to go that path. Whether this is to avoid the angry barrage of post-grads or to protect its reputation is unknown (ironically, the school's reputation would be probably be better if it placed more into biglaw). The school has so many trustees, alumni, and benefactors who are big time partners at big law firms that they either won't or can't utilize. My CSO basically told me that it is out of the question to apply to federal judges for externships as a 1L. I followed TLS and applied anyway and now have two federal judge externships lined up. Really unhappy about this subtle way of suppressing students who really have some potential.


That's pretty shitty career services but firms don't hire at TTTs because they don't want to.

That's the major reason. Note what I said was a minor reason. I am just saying that I think if there were more TTT applicants, at least a few more would get a biglaw job.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:40 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Where is your butt plug avatar? Couldn't even keep it up for a day?

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby tyro » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:15 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Don't underestimate the connections these students have. A buddy of mine goes to a TTT in the Northeast and a good chunk of the class are spoiled and out of touch sons/daughters of rich and well-connected parents who will make sure they have solid jobs at graduation. Now I do not think most TTTs are like this, and knowing the region that this certain TTT is located, I would say the demographics create a unique occurrence at the school.

The one thing that I think many on TLS disregard is the power of a strong network for a student. Yes, school reputation and grades matter when you are counting on that to get you ahead in your career. But for quite a few students, their family is well-connected enough that they can get by with going to a TTT.

It seems like those people would be less likely to report salaries. Part of the reason lower-ranked schools have issues with reporting employment outcomes might be because it could raise brows and also that less of them give a shit? The kid who went to the X regional school and somehow got a 250k starting salary might be less likely to report it. Obviously this will be a super small percentage of people though and I know that not being able to find any job that requires a JD is probably the main factor for someone who won't respond to the survey. I still think it's true that people at lower-ranked schools will be less likely to report regardless of job outcomes because fewer of them give a shit.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:08 pm

tyro wrote:It seems like those people would be less likely to report salaries. Part of the reason lower-ranked schools have issues with reporting employment outcomes might be because it could raise brows and also that less of them give a shit? The kid who went to the X regional school and somehow got a 250k starting salary might be less likely to report it. Obviously this will be a super small percentage of people though and I know that not being able to find any job that requires a JD is probably the main factor for someone who won't respond to the survey. I still think it's true that people at lower-ranked schools will be less likely to report regardless of job outcomes because fewer of them give a shit.

Yeah, I'd be embarrassed to tell people at my UG what I'm making now, considering it's a multiple of what most everyone else is probably making

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby RedBirds2011 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:49 pm

dingbat wrote:
tyro wrote:It seems like those people would be less likely to report salaries. Part of the reason lower-ranked schools have issues with reporting employment outcomes might be because it could raise brows and also that less of them give a shit? The kid who went to the X regional school and somehow got a 250k starting salary might be less likely to report it. Obviously this will be a super small percentage of people though and I know that not being able to find any job that requires a JD is probably the main factor for someone who won't respond to the survey. I still think it's true that people at lower-ranked schools will be less likely to report regardless of job outcomes because fewer of them give a shit.

Yeah, I'd be embarrassed to tell people at my UG what I'm making now, considering it's a multiple of what most everyone else is probably making


I don't get why people would be embarrassed to report a low salary. It's not like the salary has your name on it when it's reported to the public.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: TTT taking questions

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:58 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:I don't get why people would be embarrassed to report a low salary. It's not like the salary has your name on it when it's reported to the public.

erm, high salary.
I don't know, I'd just feel bad for old friends who are literally making 1/5th of what I'm earning




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, rockosmodernlife and 7 guests