Private Loyola 1L Tutor Taking Questions

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
1LRank
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 pm

USC Private 1L Tutor taking questions

Postby 1LRank » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:55 pm

I tutor 1L's at SC and other surrounding law schools (UCLA, Loyola, Southwestern). As such I have a great deal of knowledge on what you can expect with USC law classes, things you might do now and later to optimize your success, insights on specific professors and their exams, and realities of a 1L schedule at USC. The first semester and year of law school is important. My students tend to perform at the top of their class and there are certain challenges particular to USC 1L's that are important to know. I am an open book so let me have it.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: USC Private 1L Tutor taking questions

Postby shoeshine » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 pm

What are your qualifications to tutor? Do you have a JD? If so where did you go to law school?

1LRank
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: USC Private 1L Tutor taking questions

Postby 1LRank » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:09 pm

shoeshine wrote:What are your qualifications to tutor? Do you have a JD? If so where did you go to law school?


Boalt Hall Class of 2007
However, I think my main qualifications are my results. Most of my current and previous students can be contacted independently upon request.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: USC Private 1L Tutor taking questions

Postby 071816 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:20 pm

Are you a practicing lawyer? If not, why?

1LRank
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Private Loyola 1L Tutor Taking Questions

Postby 1LRank » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Over the recent years I have tutored 1L's at Loyola LA who are at the top of their class. Working with a select group of students has given me a wealth of knowledge about Loyola LA 1L classes, professors and exams. For verification of my success my current and previous students can be contacted upon request.

If you would like some specific insights into Loyola and how to be successful I am an open book.

JD Boalt Hall '07
Last edited by 1LRank on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1LRank
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: USC Private 1L Tutor taking questions

Postby 1LRank » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:29 pm

chimp wrote:Are you a practicing lawyer? If not, why?


Every year I help a select group of students ascend to the top of their law school class or raise their GPA after a less than stellar first semester performance (without me). I can't tell you how rewarding that is. I found it more rewarding than practice.

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Private Loyola 1L Tutor Taking Questions

Postby JG7773 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 pm

.
Last edited by JG7773 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1LRank
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: Private Loyola 1L Tutor Taking Questions

Postby 1LRank » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:39 pm

JG7773 wrote:
1LRank.com wrote:Over the recent years I have tutored 1L's at Loyola who are at the top of their class. Working with a select group of students has given me a wealth of knowledge about Loyola 1L classes, professors and exams. For verification of my success my current and previous students can be contacted upon request.

If you would like some specific insights into Loyola and how to be successful I am an open book.


Which Loyola are you referring to?


Sorry for any confusion. Loyola Los Angeles.

kmason
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Re: Private Loyola 1L Tutor Taking Questions

Postby kmason » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:59 pm

1. Regarding employment for Loyola grads, what is the real % of 2011 grads who got jobs in law firms?
2. How easy is it to get internships in Public Interest ?
3 Is Loyola considered "2nd Tier" being in the lower half of the "top 100"? - I ask because, apparently, many of the transfers out of Loyola simply move down the road to USC or up the 405 to UCLA.

thanks

1LRank
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: Private Loyola 1L Tutor Taking Questions

Postby 1LRank » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:59 am

kmason wrote:1. Regarding employment for Loyola grads, what is the real % of 2011 grads who got jobs in law firms?
2. How easy is it to get internships in Public Interest ?
3 Is Loyola considered "2nd Tier" being in the lower half of the "top 100"? - I ask because, apparently, many of the transfers out of Loyola simply move down the road to USC or up the 405 to UCLA.

thanks


Employment statistics can be misleading from all law schools. What I can tell you from my experience is that I had a student who is now a 2L (Class of 1213). She is in the top 5%. She does not have a firm job this summer. However, most of the firms she interviewed with were really looking for 3Ls. 3Ls that I have worked with find firm jobs but offers are slim and grades really matter.

As far as public interest internships one of my students just landed one with a law firm where a partner is doing a lot of public interest work. I have noticed that with public interest work it is really about connections, meeting people and tying in your interest and experience with the mission of the particular employer.

3. Yes quite a few of my students have transferred to the schools you mentioned but the ones that stay usually negotiate a handsome scholarship. I would consider Loyola a 2 tier but it is rising. There are distinguished faculty at Loyola from Harvard and the like which contribute a great deal to its rise in US News. With good grades you can make the most out of loyola. For instance I worked with a 1L this fall and spring semester (Class of 2014) who now has over a 4.0 (spring grades are of course not in). He plans on transferring to USC and has a good chance.

harocutter
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:46 am

Re: Private Loyola 1L Tutor Taking Questions

Postby harocutter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:32 am

1. Do you have any advice for an applicant on Loyola's waitlist? I was waitlisted this cycle with a 2.8 and a 166. Do you think I have a good shot of being accepted from off the waitlist?

2. From your expirence, what separates the top students at Loyola from everyone else? I've heard everyone is very smart and everyone puts in long hours. It seems that the playing field is very even, so how do you become a top student?

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you.

User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Private Loyola 1L Tutor Taking Questions

Postby DrGuano » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:00 pm

1LRank wrote:
kmason wrote:1. Regarding employment for Loyola grads, what is the real % of 2011 grads who got jobs in law firms?
2. How easy is it to get internships in Public Interest ?
3 Is Loyola considered "2nd Tier" being in the lower half of the "top 100"? - I ask because, apparently, many of the transfers out of Loyola simply move down the road to USC or up the 405 to UCLA.

thanks


Employment statistics can be misleading from all law schools. What I can tell you from my experience is that I had a student who is now a 2L (Class of 1213). She is in the top 5%. She does not have a firm job this summer. However, most of the firms she interviewed with were really looking for 3Ls. 3Ls that I have worked with find firm jobs but offers are slim and grades really matter.

As far as public interest internships one of my students just landed one with a law firm where a partner is doing a lot of public interest work. I have noticed that with public interest work it is really about connections, meeting people and tying in your interest and experience with the mission of the particular employer.

3. Yes quite a few of my students have transferred to the schools you mentioned but the ones that stay usually negotiate a handsome scholarship. I would consider Loyola a 2 tier but it is rising. There are distinguished faculty at Loyola from Harvard and the like which contribute a great deal to its rise in US News. With good grades you can make the most out of loyola. For instance I worked with a 1L this fall and spring semester (Class of 2014) who now has over a 4.0 (spring grades are of course not in). He plans on transferring to USC and has a good chance.


Wow. Top 5% and no firm job for 2L summer?? Those are some horrible job prospects for Loyola. Spend 45K a year here! Even if you end up doing better than 95% of the class, you still won't get a job!!!

iii
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Private Loyola 1L Tutor Taking Questions

Postby iii » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Every year I help a select group of students ascend to the top of their law school class or raise their GPA after a less than stellar first semester performance (without me)


How exactly do you do that (tips, techniques)? What do you do differently for students who want to go from good to great vs. students who bombed and just want to improve?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests