Too Late to Land a Paid Summer Internship?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
blong4133

Too Late to Land a Paid Summer Internship?

Postby blong4133 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:23 pm

I've sent out a bunch of applications for a paid summer internship with firms all around my hometown, and in the area I go to law school. No one seems interested in hiring a paid intern, and I'm getting extremely desperate. I've gotten rejections on every application. But they always throw in "But hey, if you want to work for free we'd be happy to take you..."

Last summer when I did my mandatory internship and couldn't be paid, I was working two jobs. I worked 40 a week in a law firm, then had a manual labor job that I would do from 5p.m. until the sun went down every weeknight, then worked probably 5-10 hours on the weekend just so I could keep paying rent on my apartment and put gas in my truck. I really do not want to have to do this again because it absolutely sucks. I had no time to have fun whatsoever last summer, and with this being my last chance to really enjoy my summer, I would like to at least have my weekends free.

But that's just a rant, my real question is is it too late to still be sending out resume's? I've sent out a good bit, but I'm ready to send out a lot more on monday. I was hoping to snag an internship with a firm down here, but didn't even get called in for an interview (which I don't understand...a guy that I go to school with got one, and I've got a higher GPA, am on Moot Court and wrote the brief, which got a top 10 ranking in the competition, and nearly booked my Ap. Ad class). I'm getting extremely pissed with my inability to land an internship, while I feel that I've got a strong resume and writing/research skills.

I'm really not sure if this was more of a rant than a question, but whatever. fml.

jaydizzle

Re: Too Late to Land a Paid Summer Internship?

Postby jaydizzle » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:32 pm

blong4133 wrote:I've sent out a bunch of applications for a paid summer internship with firms all around my hometown, and in the area I go to law school. No one seems interested in hiring a paid intern, and I'm getting extremely desperate. I've gotten rejections on every application. But they always throw in "But hey, if you want to work for free we'd be happy to take you..."

Last summer when I did my mandatory internship and couldn't be paid, I was working two jobs. I worked 40 a week in a law firm, then had a manual labor job that I would do from 5p.m. until the sun went down every weeknight, then worked probably 5-10 hours on the weekend just so I could keep paying rent on my apartment and put gas in my truck. I really do not want to have to do this again because it absolutely sucks. I had no time to have fun whatsoever last summer, and with this being my last chance to really enjoy my summer, I would like to at least have my weekends free.

But that's just a rant, my real question is is it too late to still be sending out resume's? I've sent out a good bit, but I'm ready to send out a lot more on monday. I was hoping to snag an internship with a firm down here, but didn't even get called in for an interview (which I don't understand...a guy that I go to school with got one, and I've got a higher GPA, am on Moot Court and wrote the brief, which got a top 10 ranking in the competition, and nearly booked my Ap. Ad class). I'm getting extremely pissed with my inability to land an internship, while I feel that I've got a strong resume and writing/research skills.

I'm really not sure if this was more of a rant than a question, but whatever. fml.

I feel ya. Unfortunately, a good portion of getting ahead in the game is all about who you know and what contacts you make. This might be unfortunate, but it is not the case if you are on the other end of it.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:33 pm

You're getting to the point that you need to take something unpaid. Have you looked into RA positions at your school as a last-ditch attempt to get paid for the summer?

NYC2014

Postby NYC2014 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Don't work, buy things you can't afford and rack up debt. It's the American way.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”