Where are all the non-miserable law students?! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Holly Golightly

Gold

Re: Where are all the non-miserable law students?!

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat May 05, 2012 5:56 pm

gdane wrote:
albanach wrote:
Q. "How are you outlining for xxx"

A. "I've made an outline with all the rules followed by prof's comments on each etc. Want me to email it to you?"

I can't imagine an easier going attitude to school than at UVA.
I'd fuck him up for messing with the curve.
Law students are the best.

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Sun May 06, 2012 12:44 am

gdane wrote:I urban dictionary'd this term, but I still dont get it.
i hope you are being sarcastic, else i want to stick ur face in the toilet and flush

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Sun May 06, 2012 1:11 am

Law School academically has been meh. Honestly, the whole exam process blows and after 1L it not only blows, but gets extremely repetitive and boring. You literally prepare the exact same way for every class (read - take notes) and every test is the same shit. Also, I go to a school where most people have firm jobs. If you don't have one and you wanted one, good luck staying happy as you see all your classmates talking about their firms and stuff they are going to buy with the money they make. Someone said its like middle school for type A adults...that seems about right.

On the flip side, I really like a lot of the people here. It is pretty cool to think that some of my friends are going to be future AUSAs or judges or COA clerks. If you work hard and get an SA (or find something you really want to do other than that), law school seems pretty amazing, like undergrad with a six figure job (or a job you'll love) at the end of the tunnel.

That being said, i don't know if law school was for me at the time I went. I wish I had taken more time off to travel, eat, drink, self-actualize, etc. Too bad I realized that about 2 weeks before coming to school. At the end of the day though, hindsight is 20/20. It has made me work harder than ever before and I learned for the first time that I can't just waltz through life and expect to be better than everyone. That being said, if I was going to work my ass off, i'd have rather been doing financial math or hard sciences than law.

NeighborGuy

Bronze

Post by NeighborGuy » Sun May 06, 2012 3:20 am

$$$$$$ wrote:That being said, if I was going to work my ass off, i'd have rather been doing financial math or hard sciences than law.
My thoughts exactly. I've worked harder here than I ever have in my life, and frankly I love being challenged like this. I'm addicted now. I just wish I could have gotten addicted to hard work earlier in life, doing something more socially useful.

Ah, well.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun May 06, 2012 3:26 am

That being said, i don't know if law school was for me at the time I went. I wish I had taken more time off to travel, eat, drink, self-actualize, etc. Too bad I realized that about 2 weeks before coming to school. At the end of the day though, hindsight is 20/20. It has made me work harder than ever before and I learned for the first time that I can't just waltz through life and expect to be better than everyone. That being said, if I was going to work my ass off, i'd have rather been doing financial math or hard sciences than law.
I definitely agree about the taking time off. I took off 5-6 months after undergrad to just bum around before starting my job, and it was amazing. And the Two years I took off between undergrad and law school gave me a lot of perspective about dealing with the environment.

That being said, hard sciences sucks. You work much harder than you do in law school and your payoff is a marginal shot at a job that tops out around $120k in mid-career. At least hard science PhD's don't go into debt for their useless degree, there is that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:59 am

rayiner wrote:
I definitely agree about the taking time off. I took off 5-6 months after undergrad to just bum around before starting my job, and it was amazing. And the Two years I took off between undergrad and law school gave me a lot of perspective about dealing with the environment.
+1. I took an even longer time off (5 years), and it definitely helped me. Yes, there are people who are very successful that go straight through, but I definitely figured out myself during those years and I also generally had a ton of fun doing it, even though I pretty much made no money at my job. I definitely wouldn't trade those years for anything.

I do agree with the portion of $$$$'s post that says exams and classes become super tedious post-1L. Purposely made my schedule so I only have three next semester and plan to do the same in my last semester (and by "exams," I include "papers" in that as well).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”