Where are all the non-miserable law students?! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
law777

New

Re: Where are all the non-miserable law students?!

Post by law777 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:41 am

Have any 2L/3Ls hated their law school experience generally, but after having worked at a firm during the summer, determined that it wouldn't be quite as boring or outright interesting?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:44 am

law777 wrote:Have any 2L/3Ls hated their law school experience generally, but after having worked at a firm during the summer, determined that it wouldn't be quite as boring or outright interesting?
I hate law school but I really liked working at firms before school and my 1L summer govt. jerb, if that helps.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:45 am

Yvonnella wrote: You sound intelligent and focused. You'll probably do fine in law school. This forum is riddled with abject losers prowling for opportunities to be obnoxious and to show the world that eight-year-olds with ADD can get into law school if they've just got a 25-year-old's body.
Ya lots of self-righteous people.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Law school shouldn't be a miserable experience. It requires a steady focus on studying and preparation, but getting into the groove is the hard part; staying in it becomes second nature.

I have a small handful of friends and tend to keep to myself, and I like to take walks and get a few drinks once a week, and I started playing softball. Having a few respites can make all the difference.

While there are certain unique challenges to confront, and there will be classes with sub-par professors - or your schedule of classes may have been designed to your fatigue - with the right organizational skills the whole law school experience isn't particularly mind bending.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:14 pm

To answer your original question OP: Not on internet forums, along with every other non-miserable person with a fulfilling life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Law school is the best and worst. I'm probably one of the happiest people at my law school, but I also loathe law school. I love the law school I attend but hate the institution.

It's very confusing. Everyone should drop out because it's the worst. It is also the best.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:04 pm

I enjoy law school. There are a couple of things I have not liked, but for the most part I really like it. I have found a group of friends where we just chill for a few drinks, nothing crazy.

Am excited to do actual legal work this summer.

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Wed May 02, 2012 4:11 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
bdubs wrote:The non-miserable ones are either at the top of the curve or at the bottom. The ones in the middle who are uneasy/unhappy about their job prospects are the miserable ones, no one likes being in limbo.

People at the top like the courses and are good at them. The people who are at the bottom are usually not going to class and having fun instead.
This last part is just wrong. haha

Also, law school is both amazing and miserable. If it weren't for the sociopaths, I would love it even more, but even as is, it's pretty enjoyable.
I've actually been thinking about this a lot -probably so my brain won't have to think about my exams- after finishing the latest season of Dexter a couple of weeks back. Wiki'ed "sociopath," and I do feel like there are a disproportionate amount of sociopaths in law school. I think most people in my school are awesome btw, but the others.. hmmm :P

What did I learn? They're EVERYWHERE.

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Wed May 02, 2012 4:19 am

rad lulz wrote:
law777 wrote:Have any 2L/3Ls hated their law school experience generally, but after having worked at a firm during the summer, determined that it wouldn't be quite as boring or outright interesting?
I hate law school but I really liked working at firms before school and my 1L summer govt. jerb, if that helps.
I deeply hate law school (excepting most of my classmates) due to my belief that it's the apotheosis of Baby Boomer triumph over our generation, but working is generally much better - you are actually making the wheels turn (albeit in mindless, basically being an editor, ways at first), there isn't much of a jagoff stand-around and whine about idiotic legal theory and "oh, i'm really bothered by this case or that judge" from what i can tell. Also, getting paid rocks. Plus you get an office with a view usually :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed May 02, 2012 4:21 am

BunkMoreland wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
I deeply hate law school (excepting most of my classmates) due to my belief that it's the apotheosis of Baby Boomer triumph over our generation, but working is generally much better - you are actually making the wheels turn (albeit in mindless, basically being an editor, ways at first), there isn't much of a jagoff stand-around and whine about idiotic legal theory and "oh, i'm really bothered by this case or that judge" from what i can tell. Also, getting paid rocks. Plus you get an office with a view usually :D
Plus you can tell chicks you're a lawyer.

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Wed May 02, 2012 4:29 am

rad lulz wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Plus you can tell chicks you're a lawyer.
we all know how much that helps :p

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:36 am

rad lulz wrote:I think law school is pretty moronic (fake competition, don't learn much of anything useful, expensive), but I'm looking forward to practice law. I liked being a legal assistant and I like my 1L summer job. I always viewed law school as an unfortunate hiatus.
This. Law school sucks. I despise it with every fiber of my being. But I feel the same as above. I would also add the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98958txVSrE

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:33 am

I really liked 1L, but I found 2L was just an awful, painful, slog (and probably more for personal reasons than anything else, but after talking to people, I'm not the only 2L that feels this way). But I'm really excited about working this summer :).

As much as I get frustrated sometimes (especially during finals), I definitely don't regret it. Because overall things worked out really well for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Wed May 02, 2012 9:55 am

They're probably returning videotapes

--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed May 02, 2012 11:55 am

thesealocust wrote:Law school is the best and worst. I'm probably one of the happiest people at my law school, but I also loathe law school. I love the law school I attend but hate the institution.

It's very confusing. Everyone should drop out because it's the worst. It is also the best.
I wholeheartedly endorse this view. At the same time I think each point is arguably wrong.

PutSumGravyOnIt

New

Post by PutSumGravyOnIt » Wed May 02, 2012 12:39 pm

r6_philly wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Law school is the best and worst. I'm probably one of the happiest people at my law school, but I also loathe law school. I love the law school I attend but hate the institution.

I wholeheartedly endorse this view. At the same time I think each point is arguably wrong.
These lawyerly comments make me smile--if you enjoyed writing them, it seems you are in the right profession. I certainly enjoyed reading them.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed May 02, 2012 12:45 pm

I love law school! I love the subject matter, I love the professors I have, I dont even mind the actual physical school itself.

I just dislike most of the people in my section and in the school.

Good luck to me...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed May 02, 2012 1:07 pm

gdane wrote:I love law school! I love the subject matter, I love the professors I have, I dont even mind the actual physical school itself.

Good luck to me...
Seconded. I love the way in which we have to think for exams, weaving in solutions to problems, etc. I can't stand that it's middle school for grown up over-achievers though.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Wed May 02, 2012 1:17 pm

keg411 wrote:I really liked 1L, but I found 2L was just an awful, painful, slog (and probably more for personal reasons than anything else, but after talking to people, I'm not the only 2L that feels this way). But I'm really excited about working this summer :).

As much as I get frustrated sometimes (especially during finals), I definitely don't regret it. Because overall things worked out really well for me.
These are my feelings exactly. I've always had to work really hard because things never came very easy to me (unlike a kid in my class who has a photographic memory and manages to CALI every single class I'm in with him), and law school made me work that much harder. BUT, I've loved the challenge despite how much I loathe locking myself away to study for 11 hours every day for 1.5 weeks especially when the material is mind-boggling. And, I have absolutely loved all my government summer associate jobs :) It keeps me going. But yes, 2L was really painful because I was just so busy and didn't leave a lot of time to slow down every once and a while. It just gets exhausting.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed May 02, 2012 1:22 pm

crossarmant wrote:
gdane wrote:I love law school! I love the subject matter, I love the professors I have, I dont even mind the actual physical school itself.

Good luck to me...
Seconded. I love the way in which we have to think for exams, weaving in solutions to problems, etc. I can't stand that it's middle school for grown up over-achievers though.
You got that right. Haha!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed May 02, 2012 1:38 pm

dixon02 wrote:ED UVa
This. The vast bulk of people I've met, throughout the year and even at exam time are happy. The atmosphere is overwhelmingly friendly and positive.

A conversation two friends had this morning went like this:

Q. "How are you outlining for xxx"

A. "I've made an outline with all the rules followed by prof's comments on each etc. Want me to email it to you?"

I can't imagine an easier going attitude to school than at UVA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed May 02, 2012 1:47 pm

albanach wrote:

A. "I've made an outline with all the rules followed by prof's comments on each etc. Want me to email it to you?"

I'd fuck him up for messing with the curve.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:27 pm

gdane wrote:
albanach wrote:
dixon02 wrote:ED UVa
This. The vast bulk of people I've met, throughout the year and even at exam time are happy. The atmosphere is overwhelmingly friendly and positive.

A conversation two friends had this morning went like this:

I'd fuck him up for messing with the curve.
Q.E.D.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed May 02, 2012 2:36 pm

I urban dictionary'd this term, but I still dont get it.

Dick Dastardly

New

Post by Dick Dastardly » Fri May 04, 2012 6:25 pm

gdane wrote:I urban dictionary'd this term, but I still dont get it.
--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”