Visiting friend in jail. C&F concern?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ben4847

Visiting friend in jail. C&F concern?

Postby ben4847 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:47 pm

A friend of mine is going to be a guest of the state for the summer. Pled to a molestation charge. (I have the coolest friends; I bet you don't know any registered sex offenders.) I haven't the slightest idea what really happened, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't believe him. And I don't really want to know. (Ok, I am really dying to know, but don't want to ask.)

I want to visit him in jail, because I kind of feel like he will need the support, if he will become a normal person. I view it that he's paying his debt to society, and now needs my help.

In any event, is there any issue that it looks bad for in C&F to be visiting molesters in jail?

I.P. Daly

Re: Visiting friend in jail. C&F concern?

Postby I.P. Daly » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:03 pm

ben4847 wrote:A friend of mine is going to be a guest of the state for the summer. Pled to a molestation charge. (I have the coolest friends; I bet you don't know any registered sex offenders.) I haven't the slightest idea what really happened, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't believe him. And I don't really want to know. (Ok, I am really dying to know, but don't want to ask.)

I want to visit him in jail, because I kind of feel like he will need the support, if he will become a normal person. I view it that he's paying his debt to society, and now needs my help.

In any event, is there any issue that it looks bad for in C&F to be visiting molesters in jail?

As long as you don't dispense legal advice or assist him with committing crimes, why would this be an issue?

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Why would this be an issue? You didn't do anything wrong...in fact, you're being a good citizen (or a good Christian/whatever) by visiting those in jail. I'd give you bonus points if I could.

Having done the ethics course and C&F paperwork, nothing comes to mind. You can actually ask questions of your state bar, usually - check out their website.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:14 pm

ben4847 wrote:I have the coolest friends; I bet you don't know any registered sex offenders.
I chuckled.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Um... you are aware attorneys visit people in jail all the time, right?

Just don't smuggle anything in and you'll be fine.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:33 pm

ben4847 wrote:A friend of mine is going to be a guest of the state for the summer. Pled to a molestation charge. (I have the coolest friends; I bet you don't know any registered sex offenders.) I haven't the slightest idea what really happened, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't believe him. And I don't really want to know. (Ok, I am really dying to know, but don't want to ask.)

No C&F issues at all. C&F doesn't find guilt by association - they would never even know about your visit, and would have no basis to ask about it from what I remember they ask you on the C&F application.

But you have to ask him. Also, maybe you shouldn't be friends with a confessed molester anymore. Perhaps the "support" you give him should be withdrawing your friendship, because your character doesn't allow you to be sympathetic to molesters? Then he could learn that molesting is bad and drives people away, therefore he shouldn't molest anymore. Thats just me.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:56 pm

My best guess: Not a problem for state bar C&F, but may raise questions if seeking a security clearance or a job that involves interaction with similiar victims.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”