ITT: The single worst day in your law school experience

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
I.P. Daly

Re: ITT: The single worst day in your law school experience

Postby I.P. Daly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:08 pm

OP, treat it as a learning experience. You'll probably never make that mistake again.

Although it probably wouldn't get me anywhere, I'd send the employer a handwritten apology.

NYC2014

Postby NYC2014 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:09 pm

The worst part of all is that you're a woman : /

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:52 pm

OP: I dont know, I think the guy who got kicked out of T14 law school might have this topped.

But this is pretty bad. Sorry for you. I don't know if you can overcome missing the interview, I have never heard of this before. I once went to an interview a day early. Still felt like an idiot.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:08 pm

As one gentleman put it on another board, "Slaying a 5'6 160 lb land beast after drinking away the misery that was finals."

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:48 am

I just want to say, don't give up. I'm a strong believer that everything happens for a reason. We just don't know why at the moment, but we find out later in hindsight. You will get a summer job, and who knows what it might offer. Stay strong. And remember, too, that a lot of us are struggling along with you. Best wishes.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:07 am

NYC2014 wrote:The worst part of all is that you're a woman : /

:lol:

lsdream

Postby lsdream » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:19 am

Just remember: "This too shall pass."

DreeBreeze

Postby DreeBreeze » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:35 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:OP, treat it as a learning experience. You'll probably never make that mistake again.
Although it probably wouldn't get me anywhere, I'd send the employer a handwritten apology.

I'm thinking about your handwritten apology suggestion; it sounds like a good idea. And I know I'll never make this mistake again. The funny (sad?) thing is, I've never been mixed up before on an interview date. Ever. It just had to happen that the one time I do mess up, I mess up with probably my most important interview ever. The universe is funny sometimes, I guess.

sunynp wrote:once went to an interview a day early. Still felt like an idiot.

LOL, well, that's actually kind of cute. Showing up a day early is better than not showing up at all because you thought it was supposed to be a week later than it actually was.

LSATNightmares wrote:I just want to say, don't give up. I'm a strong believer that everything happens for a reason. We just don't know why at the moment, but we find out later in hindsight. You will get a summer job, and who knows what it might offer. Stay strong. And remember, too, that a lot of us are struggling along with you. Best wishes.

Thank you for your kindness and encouragement-- you're awesome. Best wishes to you as well.

I really don't know why this happened the way it did, but I also believe things happen for a reason, and maybe it was for the best even though I can't imagine why. We can't know what the future holds or why things fall out the way they do. I was thinking maybe that it happened for a reason, and happened for "the best," but not my best, but for someone else's. Like I mentioned before, I've never messed up on what time and date an interview was in my entire life until this one. I just completely read and interpreted the email wrong. I just do not know why. But maybe that means, it was never meant to be for me.

lsdream wrote:Just remember: "This too shall pass."

Very true. Thank you.

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Wed May 02, 2012 4:00 am

DreeBreeze wrote:Mine was yesterday. All of the following happened yesterday, April 11th.

PART I:

> Be a 2L
> Two months ago, submit application for high-paying, prestigious summer position
> One month ago, actually get scheduled for an interview
> Read the interview email as saying interview is on Wednesday, April 18th
> Ecstatic
> This is the big one, guys!
> Do a lot of research prep
> Even start working out so I can even look physically better for interview
> Buy expensive new pair of shoes
> Go to morning class, Wednesday April 11th
> Unfamiliar number calls me during class
> Ignore till class is over
> Listen to voicemail after class
> My Face When it’s the interviewer for high-paying, prestigious summer position
> He sounds pissed
> He wants to know if I got into car crash on way to interview and am lying in ditch, dead
> OR
> if I am just a giant retard for standing him up for this morning’s interview
> MFW when I check my email and it actually does say April 11th and not April 18th
> MFW I’ve been preparing and prepping for nothing, there is no April 18th interview
> Frantically leave interviewer a message apologizing profusely, ask for any possibility of reschedule, say I am suffering from a “Personal Issue”
> AKA, a severe case of the herp-da-derps
> He never responds

Damn, I feel the compulsive need to give you an e-hug. Having lived in Seoul for a year prior to law school, I know what America needs more of. Random free-hugs on the street. They're pretty awesome.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Wed May 02, 2012 4:34 am

Hmm, probably 1L OCI when I was about to walk into my first law interview ever and right before I got a text from my brother saying my grandma had died, and having to do the interview with that on my mind SUCKED

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed May 02, 2012 6:15 am

I hope everything works out for you. You will look back on this and laugh one day (hopefully soon).

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed May 02, 2012 7:11 am

2L year. End of March with no job offer, starting to go into panic mode. On a Wednesday, friend's dad emails me somewhat out of the blue, "Hey, I set up an interview with Dude & Dude, LLP. I had mentioned them to you over Christmas. Can you make it on Saturday at noon? I know the guy, if he wants an interview, he wants to hire you. This is looking good for you, trust me." YES I CAN MAKE IT. Buy $500 roundtrip ticket (had work Monday morning), fortunately had a friend in the city I crashed with.

Get to D&D's office at 11:50. Can't enter building because it's locked. Call Partner Dude, doesn't answer. Again, no answer. 15 mins later, again, no answer. I sit down at a table in the foyer because fuck everything. 1.5 hours later, Partner Dude walks out.

"Hi, Partner Dude? I'm 2L, we have an interview."
"We do?"
"Yeah. Mr. Friend's Dad set it up."
"Oh..."
"..."
"...I didn't think it was an interview. He just said you wanted to meet. I didn't know you were coming this weekend, I thought it'd be in a few weeks. Anyway, we don't hire law students for the summer, so I'm not sure what Friend's Dad told you..."
"Oh..."
"I'm sorry, but I've got a flight to catch. Good luck to you, and I'm sorry for the mix-up."

Later that night tl;dr get into a big fight with GF of 3 years, she breaks up with me. Go drinking that night, spend $200 somehow, lose my phone and spill beer on my laptop when I get back, breaking it.

The only good part of this story is I hit my absolute law school low that weekend, but the following Monday I got a job offer that led to my post-grad job. I hope something like that happens to you OP.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed May 02, 2012 11:56 am

hiima3L wrote:2L year. End of March with no job offer, starting to go into panic mode. On a Wednesday, friend's dad emails me somewhat out of the blue, "Hey, I set up an interview with Dude & Dude, LLP. I had mentioned them to you over Christmas. Can you make it on Saturday at noon? I know the guy, if he wants an interview, he wants to hire you. This is looking good for you, trust me." YES I CAN MAKE IT. Buy $500 roundtrip ticket (had work Monday morning), fortunately had a friend in the city I crashed with.

Get to D&D's office at 11:50. Can't enter building because it's locked. Call Partner Dude, doesn't answer. Again, no answer. 15 mins later, again, no answer. I sit down at a table in the foyer because fuck everything. 1.5 hours later, Partner Dude walks out.

"Hi, Partner Dude? I'm 2L, we have an interview."
"We do?"
"Yeah. Mr. Friend's Dad set it up."
"Oh..."
"..."
"...I didn't think it was an interview. He just said you wanted to meet. I didn't know you were coming this weekend, I thought it'd be in a few weeks. Anyway, we don't hire law students for the summer, so I'm not sure what Friend's Dad told you..."
"Oh..."
"I'm sorry, but I've got a flight to catch. Good luck to you, and I'm sorry for the mix-up."

Later that night tl;dr get into a big fight with GF of 3 years, she breaks up with me. Go drinking that night, spend $200 somehow, lose my phone and spill beer on my laptop when I get back, breaking it.

The only good part of this story is I hit my absolute law school low that weekend, but the following Monday I got a job offer that led to my post-grad job. I hope something like that happens to you OP.

epic story, PLUS a happy ending? nice.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Wed May 02, 2012 12:10 pm

I hate how law school is so consistently good at making you feel like shit. Every aspect of it. It's like that abusive boyfriend you can't leave.

deebs

Postby deebs » Wed May 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Last edited by deebs on Fri May 04, 2012 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glock

Postby Glock » Wed May 02, 2012 12:35 pm

I can't really compete with these stories.

My worst day was probably when I was telling a story to a small group:

>we are talking about sexual harassment directed at students from construction workers nearby
>I am describing one of the events with the way the guy whistles
>Somebody says 'yeah I think that is the guy that operates the crane'
>I respond, 'no, it's one of those huge diggers on the west side of the building'
>One person in the group: WHAT DID YOU SAY? I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT.
>The construction worker happens to a huge black guy
>huge diggers
>"I said diggers, you know, like front-end loaders... the guy drives one"
>Silence and staring.

Also, I came home to 7 post-screener rejection letters in the mail.

DreeBreeze

Postby DreeBreeze » Fri May 11, 2012 7:19 pm

OP here with an update: a month on from the worst single day in my law experience, things are way better. I got a financial scholarship recognizing some of the community service work I've done in the past year, and found a firm to clerk with this summer. I also got the OK on a judicial internship for the fall. So, I got denied three opportunities, but about a month later, I have three new opportunities to look forward to.

Thank you again to everyone who was so kind and compassionate in replying to this thread. I wish you all the best, too. Four weeks ago I felt like I couldn't be having a worse time of it and that I had messed up my career, basically, and now I feel like I'm on track again. I guess it is funny how things work out sometimes, who can explain or figure out why things happen the way they do? I don't know if anyone else here is religious, but I'm very thankful.
Last edited by DreeBreeze on Fri May 11, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreeBreeze

Postby DreeBreeze » Fri May 11, 2012 7:20 pm

dudnaito wrote:Damn, I feel the compulsive need to give you an e-hug. Having lived in Seoul for a year prior to law school, I know what America needs more of. Random free-hugs on the street. They're pretty awesome.

Haha, e-hug you back, thanks :)

Extension_Cord wrote:I hope everything works out for you. You will look back on this and laugh one day (hopefully soon).

After this week-- YES! I bombed three opportunities, but somehow it worked out all right in the end, and I can laugh in a wry sort of way about it now.

hiima3L wrote:The only good part of this story is I hit my absolute law school low that weekend, but the following Monday I got a job offer that led to my post-grad job. I hope something like that happens to you OP.

Oh man your story was BRUTAL, I'm sorry you had to go through that-- I think your experience was way, way worse than mine (your GF, plus your laptop/phone, plus all that money on booze and the plane ticket for a non-existent interview). I'm really glad that pretty soon after that you got your job offer though, that's awesome.

Glock wrote:Also, I came home to 7 post-screener rejection letters in the mail.

Ouchhhh..... That's pretty bad, hopefully another opportunity came up for you?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue May 15, 2012 3:40 pm

most of these stories ended relatively well (except for the ones with family members dying... :| ); i guess there are some happy endings in law school stories after all.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue May 22, 2012 12:41 pm

DreeBreeze wrote:OP here with an update: a month on from the worst single day in my law experience, things are way better. I got a financial scholarship recognizing some of the community service work I've done in the past year, and found a firm to clerk with this summer. I also got the OK on a judicial internship for the fall. So, I got denied three opportunities, but about a month later, I have three new opportunities to look forward to.

Thank you again to everyone who was so kind and compassionate in replying to this thread. I wish you all the best, too. Four weeks ago I felt like I couldn't be having a worse time of it and that I had messed up my career, basically, and now I feel like I'm on track again. I guess it is funny how things work out sometimes, who can explain or figure out why things happen the way they do? I don't know if anyone else here is religious, but I'm very thankful.

Glad you updated the thread, good luck young lady

Series70

Postby Series70 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:05 pm

jjlaw wrote:I hate how law school is so consistently good at making you feel like shit. Every aspect of it. It's like that abusive boyfriend you can't leave.

Well said.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”