2L v. 3L classes

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ilovesf

2L v. 3L classes

Postby ilovesf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:16 am

It's getting to that time where 1Ls are forced to think about what we want to take next year. I'm not really sure what area I want to practice in (probably civil litigation) so I think I'm just going to take some normal bar courses at least for first semester 2L while I figure things out. Before I graduate I definitely want to take Evidence, Civ Pro II, Admin Law, Fed Courts, and Crim Pro. Do you guys recommend taking any of these specifically 2L or 3L? Are there any you wouldn't take at the same time due to it making a crazy work load? Thanks.

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: 2L v. 3L classes

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:26 am

Take Fed Courts as a 3L, preferably fall 3L so it shows up on your transcript when you're applying for clerkships. If you aren't interested in clerking, rethink your desire to take Fed Courts.

Admin can be a difficult class. Consider taking it in the spring 2L or as a 3L (preferably in the opposite semester as Fed Courts).

Take Evidence, Civ Pro II, and Crim Pro whenever (or better yet, target the best professors who teach the class and take it whenever they teach it). Another consideration: Civ Pro II might nice to take in the fall 2L since Civ Pro I is still fresh in your mind.

Other things to keep in mind for your fall semester of 2L: OCI can be time intensive and lead to many missed classes. It can drag through the semester, depending on how the job hunt goes, how many callbacks you go on, etc. Consider doing a lighter load for the semester. Also, avoid classes where teachers have mandatory attendance policies. (I really don't think too many law professors do this, but avoid the few that do.)

lbeezy

Postby lbeezy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:07 am

My only advice is don't put off a bunch of bar classes for your 3L spring -- you'll already be half checked out, and the easier the semester is, the better it's going to be for you.

Totally agree on not taking Fed Courts if you're not going to clerk.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks for the input! Chances of clerking from my school are slim, but I want to do it if I can stay near the top of the class. By 3L I guess I'll have a better idea if that's an option or not.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:09 pm

ilovesf wrote:Thanks for the input! Chances of clerking from my school are slim, but I want to do it if I can stay near the top of the class. By 3L I guess I'll have a better idea if that's an option or not.

You should start thinking about it more at the latest after you get your grades for fall of 2L.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”