Crim Law . . . Panic Mode Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
portaprokoss

Bronze

Crim Law . . . Panic Mode

Post by portaprokoss » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Sigh. I have a crim law final in 14 days and I know nothing. I hate this class so much. I have only spent, maybe 20 hours on crim this semester. What should I do? It's a take home with an excruciatingly tight word limit. Very heavy on policy. Prof doesn't have any past exams.

Should I just use a past outline and start working through crim hypos? Should I spend a week going through my notes and making an outline and a week doing hypos? Should I outline and do hypos at the same time? Should I collect some flowcharts?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

cinephile

Gold

Re: Crim Law . . . Panic Mode

Post by cinephile » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:15 pm

I like the Dressler supplement if you have time to read/skim relevant chapters for your class.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:23 pm

It's a take home, so I wouldn't waste precious time with a formal outline because you can reference any material that you want (unless it's an insanely tight time restriction). If time is severely limited, use either a commercial outline that is keyed to your text or a 2L's outline from the same professor. I don't have much experience with policy, as the only policy question on my crim exam was a third part that was essentially an afterthought. Regardless, I wouldn't waste time with making an outline. I would use the prep materials from others, and do some hypos to practice and tighten up your skills in writing a clear, concise and well-reasoned answer.

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 pm

The Acing Crim supplement worked for me. Really quick and to the point.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Has the professor published in the field? If so read any articles relevant to the topic. That should help with the policy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apl6783

Bronze

Post by apl6783 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:17 pm

Dude, if it's an open book take home with a reasonable time limit do this:

Get Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law (overnight it).

Read all the relevant sections pertaining to your class. You could DEFINITELY read it all between now and your exam. Crim is very easy, and that book reads fast - no bullshit. Highlight stuff.

The Dressler book has policy components for nearly everything you'd need them for on the exam. If it's heavily policy, then you can essentially just re-state what that book says about each issue.

I'm assuming he isn't making it some kind of honor system modified open book test where you can't use professional supplemental materials.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Someone told me it's worth signing up for BarBri for the criminal law lecture?

Can anyone vouch for this?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:26 pm

TooOld4This wrote:Has the professor published in the field? If so read any articles relevant to the topic. That should help with the policy.
This would almost definitely be an enormous time suck that wouldn't yield any benefits.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”