Take my class Pass/Fail or Graded?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Graded or Pass/Fail?

Graded
No votes
Pass/Fail
100%

Total votes: 3

PirateCap'n

Take my class Pass/Fail or Graded?

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:23 am

I'm a 2L and looking for opinions as to whether to pass/fail my class or take it graded. Because of law review credits taking up most of my pass/fail credits, I only have a sufficient number of credit hours to take one p/f class for the duration of law school. This weighs in favor of keeping the p/f class as a backup until 3L. However, I did poorly on the mid-term in the class, and I don't expect to get much better than a B (median) in the class, which supports using the p/f credit this semester. Since 2L grades are presumably a little bit more important than 3L grades (because there's still a chance that firms might no-offer me due to grades after 2L but it's unlikely after 3L), I'm inclined to use it this semester to avoid a median grade. However, it also seems like it would be nice to "coast" next year during 3L without having to worry about getting graded for a particular class. What should I do?

InnocuousDiatribe

Re: Take my class Pass/Fail or Graded?

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:26 am

Any LR board ambitions? Any other extracurriculars, e.g., moot court, mock trial?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:31 am

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:Any LR board ambitions? Any other extracurriculars, e.g., moot court, mock trial?

Already have my LR board position (that takes up a good deal of time now and probably even more next year when I'm doing it without the help of the person I'm replacing). No extracurriculars other than a couple of TA and RA jobs.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:35 am

P/F that crap. I turned in my sheet today for another class. Did you register for any classes in the fall that have a p/f option, or do you want to take any classes spring '13 that are p/f? If not, the answer to your question is easy. While its possible to kill the final, dont assume you will even if you know the material cold - her exams blow hard. Ya, im still bitter about being screwed over by her 1L year....

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:41 am

moandersen wrote:P/F that crap. I turned in my sheet today for another class. Did you register for any classes in the fall that have a p/f option, or do you want to take any classes spring '13 that are p/f? If not, the answer to your question is easy. While its possible to kill the final, dont assume you will even if you know the material cold - her exams blow hard. Ya, im still bitter about being screwed over by her 1L year....

Haha. Glad to see somebody feels my pain here. One of my fall classes is p/f, but it's only a 1 credit research class that I would expect everyone to get an A in. No idea about the spring classes, but I think it would be nice to have it just in case.

Also, do employers care about this stuff? I assume they don't, but, given that we have number grades rather than letters, a P (or S or whatever it is for "pass") might stick out and be a little odd.

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:35 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
moandersen wrote:P/F that crap. I turned in my sheet today for another class. Did you register for any classes in the fall that have a p/f option, or do you want to take any classes spring '13 that are p/f? If not, the answer to your question is easy. While its possible to kill the final, dont assume you will even if you know the material cold - her exams blow hard. Ya, im still bitter about being screwed over by her 1L year....

Haha. Glad to see somebody feels my pain here. One of my fall classes is p/f, but it's only a 1 credit research class that I would expect everyone to get an A in. No idea about the spring classes, but I think it would be nice to have it just in case.

Also, do employers care about this stuff? I assume they don't, but, given that we have number grades rather than letters, a P (or S or whatever it is for "pass") might stick out and be a little odd.

I'd imagine they'd probably care less about that than a B?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”