Character and Fitness

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Veyron

Character and Fitness

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:14 pm

-EDIT SORRY, DUPLICATE THREAD-
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

truevines

Re: Character and Fitness

Postby truevines » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Veyron wrote:I was wondering if anyone who has been through the process could explain what it entails. What parts of your background do they check, what information do they ask your school(s) for, what sort of paperwork do you have to fill out, etc.

Application for Cal. Moral Character Determination:
Sections 1 and 2 Bio info: names; addresses; etc.
Section 3 - Pre-legal education
Section 4 - Law school info
Section 5 - Residence history (where you've lived)
Sections 6~9 - Employment history
Section 10 - Personal references (requiring 5 references)
Section 11 - license and credentials
Section 12 - Professional discipline history
Section 13 - Mental illness, disorder, and disease
Section 14 - Prior application for admission to practice law
Section 15 - Civil actions and discipline proceedings you have been a party to:
a) Civil actions includes divorce, small claims, workers comp.
b) Complaints re fraud, misrepresentations, and legal malpractice
c) Scholastic discipline proceedings (violations of the honor code;suspension; etc.)

Section 16 - Convictions
Section 17 - Bondedness, discharge of obligation, indebtedness (asking for your debt status)
Section 18 - Bankruptcy
Section 19 - Chemical dependency
Section 20 - Military service
Section 21 - Accounting for time (you have to provide descriptions for all the time since the age of 18 that are not filled with your education and employment history.)

All my references and previous employers received a long questionnaire that asks all the questions appearing in the application (e.g., chemical dependency, fraud and discipline actions).

Not sure whether my schools received such questionnaires (I guess they did). I also believe the investigator pulled my criminal records to verify my answers to the conviction section.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:03 pm

truevines wrote:
Veyron wrote:I was wondering if anyone who has been through the process could explain what it entails. What parts of your background do they check, what information do they ask your school(s) for, what sort of paperwork do you have to fill out, etc.

Application for Cal. Moral Character Determination:
Sections 1 and 2 Bio info: names; addresses; etc.
Section 3 - Pre-legal education
Section 4 - Law school info
Section 5 - Residence history (where you've lived)
Sections 6~9 - Employment history
Section 10 - Personal references (requiring 5 references)
Section 11 - license and credentials
Section 12 - Professional discipline history
Section 13 - Mental illness, disorder, and disease
Section 14 - Prior application for admission to practice law
Section 15 - Civil actions and discipline proceedings you have been a party to:
a) Civil actions includes divorce, small claims, workers comp.
b) Complaints re fraud, misrepresentations, and legal malpractice
c) Scholastic discipline proceedings (violations of the honor code;suspension; etc.)

Section 16 - Convictions
Section 17 - Bondedness, discharge of obligation, indebtedness (asking for your debt status)
Section 18 - Bankruptcy
Section 19 - Chemical dependency
Section 20 - Military service
Section 21 - Accounting for time (you have to provide descriptions for all the time since the age of 18 that are not filled with your education and employment history.)

All my references and previous employers received a long questionnaire that asks all the questions appearing in the application (e.g., chemical dependency, fraud and discipline actions).

Not sure whether my schools received such questionnaires (I guess they did). I also believe the investigator pulled my criminal records to verify my answers to the conviction section.

Perfect. Many thanks.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:20 pm

truevines wrote:

who do they send the questionnaire to? your immediate supervisor? whoever you list as contact information?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”