How often do you attend class on-line?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

How often do you attend class on-line

Poll ended at Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Never Watch On-line
3%
Only Watch if Sick
13%
A fourth of the time
6%
Half the time
3%
More than half
6%
Nearly always on-line
3%
School does not offer on-line
65%

Total votes: 31

Dale

How often do you attend class on-line?

Postby Dale » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:54 pm

How often do you forgo going to class and instead view the [recorded] class on-line? I do not see any downside to watching on-line over live attendance (especially since I am not a gunner). I have been taking advantage of the on-line option a lot, and now I wonder, how much is too much.

Edit: Sorry, noticed that NEVER was posted twice. Got rid of one Never and it reset the whole poll. Wiped away the 8 votes that "school does not offer on-line." :oops:
Last edited by Dale on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

kalvano

Re: How often do you attend class on-line?

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:47 am

You have online classes? Son of a...SMU needs to get on that train right the hell now.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:51 am

Does the ABA know about these online law classes?

Dale

Postby Dale » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:37 am

dingbat wrote:Does the ABA know about these online law classes?

This is a T-14, so I assume the answer is yes. To be clear, I am talking about regular classes (just like the ones you attend everyday) that happened to be recorded and made available on-line. No doubt this is very helpful if you are ill or miss a class for whatever reason (perhaps law firm interview, etc.). Plus, there is the advantage of pausing or rewinding the program if you missed something. Or, if you did not understand something while in class, go on-line and cue up the spot you wanted to review.

This is not available for all classes.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:20 am

A few professors this year have recorded one or two classes and put them online, but those were either make-ups or during a particularly bad cold/flu spell. Oddly enough, those were among the days I didn't miss...

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:32 am

My professors said that if they notice people in the non-online section pervasively using the online videos as a substitute (they can see online views and they can observe class attendance), they will take away our access, lol. That still gives each of us the chance to use it once or twice, though. I have used it once instead of attending class, but mostly what I use it for is figuring out things I missed in class on account of spacing out.

Dale

Postby Dale » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:31 pm

One upside to class recording is when you are called on, you can see how you did. Of course if you blow it. . . :cry:

I am very surprised that class recordings are unavailable to so many.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Dale wrote:One upside to class recording is when you are called on, you can see how you did. Of course if you blow it. . . :cry:

I am very surprised that class recordings are unavailable to so many.

Who gives a sh*t if you blow a cold call?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Wait... you watch videos of a class you already went to, to see how you did when you got called on? Just when I thought I had heard of every gunner thing possible.

Dale

Postby Dale » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Hard to believe that 88% of those answering this poll cannot access some of their classes on-line. What’s up with that? What is your school’s reasoning about not recording classes for playback?

Not only is it good to have when you are sick, or because you miss a class, but especially helpful if you did not understand something. Easy enough to fast forward to any part of the class.

(Edit: 88% includes the 8 I accidentally deleted, noted earlier.)

Addy

Postby Addy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:46 am

I prefer attending class rather than watching on video. I think most people feel the same way since most classes are usually three-fourths to nearly filled. When I plan to stay up super late, I only do so when my first class is available on-line (usually accessible within 8 hours).

And yeah, what’s up with schools refusing to make their classes available on the net? Is it cost (doubt it, since they are making a boatload of money) or something philosophical, or maybe they are just lethargic.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:30 am

I picked only if sick because that's the only way you can get them at our school. It varies by class, some you just need professor's permission, and then they send you a link to the recording. Other classes you have to go through one of the assistant deans, and she requires an actual doctor's note to get a recording (not kidding). She has also been known to overrule professors who have given permission.
It's an honor code violation to share the link that you're sent with any other student.

So yeah, definitely NOT an encouraged thing at my school.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Our professors will do this every so often if people send an email before hand noting their absence and request a recording. That said, I've never used them since I've gone to every class.

Dale

Postby Dale » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:01 am

This was certainly a short lived poll, considering that over 75% of schools do not record classes. For those students I suppose if you miss a class you have to rely on friends filling you in or sharing notes. Hard to believe in this day and age.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:21 am

Dale wrote:(Edit: 88% includes the 8 I accidentally deleted, noted earlier.)

You might be double counting

Void

Postby Void » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:03 am

The word is online, not on-line. Been that way since 1989.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”