NY Bar + Another bar? If so--NJ or Mass?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
wrkhardlivehumbly

NY Bar + Another bar? If so--NJ or Mass?

Postby wrkhardlivehumbly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi guys! This question is for current 3Ls or graduates who've already taken the bar. I've already signed up for the NY bar, but am no longer sure whether or not to add a second bar, too. NY's timing allows you to take either NJ or Mass concurrently with its bar exam, but I don't know whether it's worth it. I was set to take Mass, originally, because I figured
1. it wouldn't hurt to have two
2. if I failed NY, I'd hopefully pass Mass and therefore still be a licensed attorney
3. Boston is a city I'd be willing to live and that might have jobs in my areas of interest
4. I like the prestige of having two ;)
BUT THEN I went to sign up for the Massachusetts bar after having signed up for NY and was shocked to find that it was nearly $600 more than NY.
My question, then, is whether it's worth it. Is it worth the price? Is it worth the stress and headache? How much more difficult is it to take two? What do you guys think of the stress of driving from NY to Mass or NJ after two days of test taking? And, if you think it's worth it to take two, is NJ or Mass more useful?
For the record, I plan to work internationally and will be located abroad at least for a year after graduation, so NJ is not appealing (at least for now) because of location. I don't see myself coming back to the States to work in NJ, if you know what I mean ;)
Thank you!

I.P. Daly

Re: NY Bar + Another bar? If so--NJ or Mass?

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:31 pm

wrkhardlivehumbly wrote:Hi guys! This question is for current 3Ls or graduates who've already taken the bar. I've already signed up for the NY bar, but am no longer sure whether or not to add a second bar, too. NY's timing allows you to take either NJ or Mass concurrently with its bar exam, but I don't know whether it's worth it. I was set to take Mass, originally, because I figured
1. it wouldn't hurt to have two
2. if I failed NY, I'd hopefully pass Mass and therefore still be a licensed attorney
3. Boston is a city I'd be willing to live and that might have jobs in my areas of interest
4. I like the prestige of having two ;)
BUT THEN I went to sign up for the Massachusetts bar after having signed up for NY and was shocked to find that it was nearly $600 more than NY.
My question, then, is whether it's worth it. Is it worth the price? Is it worth the stress and headache? How much more difficult is it to take two? What do you guys think of the stress of driving from NY to Mass or NJ after two days of test taking? And, if you think it's worth it to take two, is NJ or Mass more useful?
For the record, I plan to work internationally and will be located abroad at least for a year after graduation, so NJ is not appealing (at least for now) because of location. I don't see myself coming back to the States to work in NJ, if you know what I mean ;)
Thank you!

Anyone have stats on what the pass rate is when someone takes two bar exams concurrently?

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 am

NY and CA. Pass both and intimidate people with your success.

I.P. Daly wrote:Anyone have stats on what the pass rate is when someone takes two bar exams concurrently?
I'm wondering this as well.

wrkhardlivehumbly

Postby wrkhardlivehumbly » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:13 am

I.P. Daly wrote:

Anyone have stats on what the pass rate is when someone takes two bar exams concurrently?

Good question. I tried to look it up but was having a hard enough time trying to look up "NY bar exam concurrent with another bar exam" types of search terms... they kept coming up with information about bars that serve alcohol. I wish!
Any information on that would be much appreciated. Thanks for throwing that out there, I.P. Daly!

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:31 pm

TTTLS wrote:NY and CA. Pass both and intimidate people with your success.

This.

OP, the NJ bar fees continue to go up until May. You can do NY and NJ at the same time, although I often question whether it's even worth the hassle.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”