The Staircase Documentary

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
lnoy
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm

The Staircase Documentary

Postby lnoy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:26 pm

I just watched The Staircase. It is a documentary about a murder case and follows the lawyers from start to finish. It is pretty good and shows a lot about what a criminal lawyer goes through when defending a client. It also has a lot of courtroom footage. I watched it on google video. Just google "The Staircase documentary" to find it. It has 8 parts. If you don't remember seeing the case on the news a few years ago, try watching the video without googling the case to see the verdict. It's much better that way, lol

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: The Staircase Documentary

Postby chem » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:30 pm

lnoy wrote:I just watched The Staircase. It is a documentary about a murder case and follows the lawyers from start to finish. It is pretty good and shows a lot about what a criminal lawyer goes through when defending a client. It also has a lot of courtroom footage. I watched it on google video. Just google "The Staircase documentary" to find it. It has 8 parts. If you don't remember seeing the case on the news a few years ago, try watching the video without googling the case to see the verdict. It's much better that way, lol


Netflix?

User avatar
lnoy
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: The Staircase Documentary

Postby lnoy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:54 pm

chem wrote:
lnoy wrote:I just watched The Staircase. It is a documentary about a murder case and follows the lawyers from start to finish. It is pretty good and shows a lot about what a criminal lawyer goes through when defending a client. It also has a lot of courtroom footage. I watched it on google video. Just google "The Staircase documentary" to find it. It has 8 parts. If you don't remember seeing the case on the news a few years ago, try watching the video without googling the case to see the verdict. It's much better that way, lol


Netflix?


not sure if its on netflix. I saw it on google video.

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: The Staircase Documentary

Postby JG7773 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks for bringing this up. I watched it on your recommendation and found it to be interesting to see the whole "process". I took your advice and avoiding searching the case prior to, or during viewing and was certainly shocked by the outcome!

dooood
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:45 am

Re: The Staircase Documentary

Postby dooood » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:09 pm

Yeah, that's a pretty amazing documentary; thanks for the tip. I also refrained from researching the movie beforehand, and was similarly surprised by the outcome (although the film was naturally a little biased toward one side). One thing I thought would have been emphasized by one side or the other was where the money came from - husband or wife (it wasn't clear whether or not his books were successful). Either side could have leveraged that to its advantage. Also, no one ever mentioned the fact that he had gone to Duke undergrad - you'd think the defense would have used that point to craft his character as being intelligent, having plenty going for him, etc.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: The Staircase Documentary

Postby chem » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:31 am

JG7773 wrote:Thanks for bringing this up. I watched it on your recommendation and found it to be interesting to see the whole "process". I took your advice and avoiding searching the case prior to, or during viewing and was certainly shocked by the outcome!


+1. Good flick

User avatar
lnoy
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: The Staircase Documentary

Postby lnoy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:55 pm

dooood wrote:Yeah, that's a pretty amazing documentary; thanks for the tip. I also refrained from researching the movie beforehand, and was similarly surprised by the outcome (although the film was naturally a little biased toward one side). One thing I thought would have been emphasized by one side or the other was where the money came from - husband or wife (it wasn't clear whether or not his books were successful). Either side could have leveraged that to its advantage. Also, no one ever mentioned the fact that he had gone to Duke undergrad - you'd think the defense would have used that point to craft his character as being intelligent, having plenty going for him, etc.



No problem, I thought there could have been more brought up also. But I'm sure there was a lot left out that we did not get to see pertaining to the trial. I also though it was odd that they did not talk about who made the most money becasue the prosecutor could have used that as motive but I'm sure he did ok with his book.


***Spoiler Alert****


In the end I thought the defense brought up enough reasonable doubt to get a not guilty verdict. I would have liked to hear what the jury was discussing. I know they talked about a lot of blood, but the defense went over the blood splatter.

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: The Staircase Documentary

Postby JG7773 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:01 pm

lnoy wrote:
dooood wrote:Yeah, that's a pretty amazing documentary; thanks for the tip. I also refrained from researching the movie beforehand, and was similarly surprised by the outcome (although the film was naturally a little biased toward one side). One thing I thought would have been emphasized by one side or the other was where the money came from - husband or wife (it wasn't clear whether or not his books were successful). Either side could have leveraged that to its advantage. Also, no one ever mentioned the fact that he had gone to Duke undergrad - you'd think the defense would have used that point to craft his character as being intelligent, having plenty going for him, etc.



No problem, I thought there could have been more brought up also. But I'm sure there was a lot left out that we did not get to see pertaining to the trial. I also though it was odd that they did not talk about who made the most money becasue the prosecutor could have used that as motive but I'm sure he did ok with his book.


***Spoiler Alert****


In the end I thought the defense brought up enough reasonable doubt to get a not guilty verdict. I would have liked to hear what the jury was discussing. I know they talked about a lot of blood, but the defense went over the blood splatter.


Not sure if you have looked as of late, but the blood splatter is actually going to get him a new trial, some ten years later. About 3 months ago, they decided that the detective that was the "expert" of the prosecution overstated how much experience he had in the field at the time and that his testimony likely created a prejudice against Peterson.

User avatar
lnoy
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: The Staircase Documentary

Postby lnoy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 pm

JG7773 wrote:
lnoy wrote:
dooood wrote:Yeah, that's a pretty amazing documentary; thanks for the tip. I also refrained from researching the movie beforehand, and was similarly surprised by the outcome (although the film was naturally a little biased toward one side). One thing I thought would have been emphasized by one side or the other was where the money came from - husband or wife (it wasn't clear whether or not his books were successful). Either side could have leveraged that to its advantage. Also, no one ever mentioned the fact that he had gone to Duke undergrad - you'd think the defense would have used that point to craft his character as being intelligent, having plenty going for him, etc.



No problem, I thought there could have been more brought up also. But I'm sure there was a lot left out that we did not get to see pertaining to the trial. I also though it was odd that they did not talk about who made the most money becasue the prosecutor could have used that as motive but I'm sure he did ok with his book.


***Spoiler Alert****


In the end I thought the defense brought up enough reasonable doubt to get a not guilty verdict. I would have liked to hear what the jury was discussing. I know they talked about a lot of blood, but the defense went over the blood splatter.


Not sure if you have looked as of late, but the blood splatter is actually going to get him a new trial, some ten years later. About 3 months ago, they decided that the detective that was the "expert" of the prosecution overstated how much experience he had in the field at the time and that his testimony likely created a prejudice against Peterson.


Yea, looked him up not long ago. I think he is actually out right now awaiting trial.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: The Staircase Documentary

Postby wiseowl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:52 am

the owl did it

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: The Staircase Documentary

Postby shock259 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:01 pm

It's really long, but really good. I'm a little ways in and enjoying it a lot. I should probably be prepping more for my oral argument, though.

User avatar
mlh1988
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: The Staircase Documentary

Postby mlh1988 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:06 pm

I thought this was a great documentary. It was a little biased which led me to be somewhat surprised with the verdict. It really is a must see.

Fun Fact: I'm pretty sure the male escort made it onto The Price is Right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-VJBTHG-gE

Spoiler: He won a dining room set.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jolin0922, LawHammer, rockosmodernlife and 13 guests