I have no idea what classes to take next year.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
portaprokoss

I have no idea what classes to take next year.

Postby portaprokoss » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:06 pm

I still don't know if I want to do transaction work or litigation or what. Mediation and negotiation interest me, but that's about it. What classes should I take? I hear it's important to take evidence and UCC. Are there any other "must take" classes? What classes are best for someone who doesn't know what direction they're heading?

target

Re: I have no idea what classes to take next year.

Postby target » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:31 pm

what are your options? Some classes fulfill the prerequisites for others. That is something that you should consider. Also, should make a poll.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Classes everyone should probably take:
-Evidence
-Business Associations / Corporations

Classes that could be good to take, but are known to be a little more difficult:
-Admin Law
-Fed. Courts (for those gunning for federal clerkships)
-Secured Credit or Secured Regulations

Other classes to consider:
-Crim Pro
-Antitrust
-Conflict of Laws
-Federal Income Tax
-Advocacy Survey
-IP

There really isn't too many "must take!" law school classes. Nothing wrong with just trying to take the best professors in areas that interest you.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:33 pm

There is no class you MUST take.

I highly suggest taking Evidence and Trial Advocacy. I think its crazy when lawyers graduate not knowing the rules of evidence.

Everything else is up to you. You can go the classic "Bar route" and take Bus Orgs, Estates and Trusts, Family Law, Tax, UCC, etc. But that route will make your 2L a difficult year and who wants that? I suggest taking classes you're really truly interested in, a class or two thats a GPA boost, and as many classes without finals as possible (or pass/fail).

With all that said, take Crim Pro. Seriously, that is the most fun I have ever had in law school, learned a lot of stuff you can actually use and tell your friends about, and overall just was a easy course for me.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 am

Tax kinda sucks, but every attorney I've spoken with about classes recommended taking it.

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Does Commercial Transactions (UCC), Evidence, Jurisdiction/Choice of Venue, and Accounting for Lawyers seem like too much? That's 12 hours.

How do I fashion a "light" schedule? One class without a regular final? Two without?

target

Postby target » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:52 pm

portaprokoss wrote:Does Commercial Transactions (UCC), Evidence, Jurisdiction/Choice of Venue, and Accounting for Lawyers seem like too much? That's 12 hours.

How do I fashion a "light" schedule? One class without a regular final? Two without?

12 hours seem doable to me, since I also plan to take ~12 hours. Although my 12 hours include a 3 hour seminar though

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:37 am

When in doubt take bar courses

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:02 am

holdencaulfield wrote:When in doubt take bar courses

This is what I've mostly been doing. It's kind of miserable, but I'm also glad I'm learning this stuff now instead of trying to learn it for the bar. Just have two left (T&E and CrimPro) and the rest of my classes next year should be more "fun" :).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”