How does Moot Court look on a resume? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
blong4133

Bronze

How does Moot Court look on a resume?

Post by blong4133 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:52 am

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I'm curious to get some views on the issue from someone other than those at my school who are in charge of the moot court teams.

I just got back from my first competition and had a blast. I was invited to the team to be the brief writer, but I did do some oral arguments as well (def. not my strong suit though). I was actually very pleased with the brief score, and it definitely carried our team through the preliminaries because we had some close matches and the difference was the brief score.

I didn't try to get on Law Review because I wanted to do Moot Court because I thought that it would be more fun. But now I'm thinking about whether I should try to get on Law Review next semester, or just stick to moot court.

So my question is, does either one really "help" make you more attractive to prospective employers? And would they care about brief scores in competitions?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: How does Moot Court look on a resume?

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:38 am

Yes, LR makes you more attractive to employers. And LR will most likely have a much greater boost than moot court.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:41 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Yes, LR makes you more attractive to employers. And LR will most likely have a much greater boost than moot court.
+1

Except for Moot Court at prestigious school that is known for winning national competitions may be extremely beneficial to someone who is 100% litigation focused.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:46 am

OL but all the questions I've seen answered on this is LR> moot, if you can't get LR or if you can do both without limiting LR and grades, do moot.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:30 am

Moot court is fun, and as valuable to your resume as most other run-of-the-mill law school activities. Law review is a uniquely important signal to employers, and there isn't anything else you can do (outside of grades) that would be as important a resume item.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:26 pm

I've posted this before, but I'm a 2L at a T30. On LR, didn't bother with moot court.

Didn't end up at Quinn, but got an offer there. The only time that the fact I wasn't on moot court came up it was in an interview with one of the founding NY partners who commented on how big of a waste of time moot court is.

In his words (paraphrasing) - moot court is ego-stroking for overachieving gunners. Huge time suck for competitions no one cares about outside of the insular group. He called it "self-constructed importance." Sure you may improve oral arg. skills now, but any practical applications of those skills will devolve as you won't actually get to use them til 10 years down the road. At that point your skills will be based on your firms style, not what you did in moot court. Accordingly, the self-proclaimed top lit firm in the world could care less about moot court.

I think his opinion is a bit extreme, but the part about firms not caring about moot court I found to be true throughout my many interviews. Had 30 first rounds, went on 10 callbacks before accepting an offer, and moot court was either laughed at, trashed, or never brought up.

If you have nothing, it's better than nothing, otherwise, don't expect it to open up many doors save for the rare partner from your school who loved moot court. I couldn't help but laugh at all the 2Ls wasting their free time, vacations prepping for moot court while I kicked back and enjoyed the little life I have left before starting work at a firm.
Last edited by DrGuano on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:35 pm

DrGuano wrote:
Didn't end up at Quinn, but got an offer there. The only time that the fact I wasn't on moot court came up it was in an interview with one of the founding NY partners who commented on how big of a waste of time moot court is.

Accordingly, the top lit firm in the world could care less about moot court.
Ugh, can't believe Quinn's self-appointed title is already catching on. (Agreed with everything else you said.)

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:36 pm

Depends what font you use.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Lulz

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
DrGuano wrote:

Accordingly, the top lit firm in the world could care less about moot court.
Ugh, can't believe Quinn's self-appointed title is already catching on. (Agreed with everything else you said.)
You're right. Amend that to the "self-proclaimed top lit firm in the world."

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:15 pm

rad lulz wrote:
exactly what i was thinking when i saw thread title

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Just a little addition, I'm not looking to get into big law. I know, I know... but it's never been my intention to do that type of law. I grew up in a relatively small town in northern WV (about 25-30,000), and would like to work for a small firm there (and there are firms hiring in the area, with not a whole lot of new lawyers really looking to set up shop in the area. A lot of older attorneys who have been practicing for a long time who I hope to learn from). I'm not at a tier 1 school either, and that doesn't matter much in the area where I plan to practice (There are lawyers in the area that have graduated everywhere from Harvard to Cooley, and have been told by numerous attorneys in the area that they don't particularly care school rank in most circumstances).

But my soon to be fiance will be making a good amount of money, and we've been able to figure out a plan to get the loans paid back quickly and painlessly (but who knows how well that will work at this point). So starting salary isn't that big of a concern. I just enjoy the legal field and I love the area in which I grew up and want to raise a family there.

I like moot court because I enjoy writing briefs, and not to sound uppity or anything, I think that I'm pretty good at it. And I'm very competitive in nature so the moot court environment kind of feeds that desire to compete outside of the competition for grades.

I know I'm not a typical TLS poster, but just thought I'd throw that in there just to clarify.

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:15 pm

blong4133 wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Just a little addition, I'm not looking to get into big law. I know, I know... but it's never been my intention to do that type of law. I grew up in a relatively small town in northern WV (about 25-30,000), and would like to work for a small potato there (and there are firms hiring in the area, with not a whole lot of new lawyers really looking to set up shop in the area. A lot of older attorneys who have been practicing for a long time who I hope to learn from). I'm not at a tier 1 school either, and that doesn't matter much in the area where I plan to practice (There are lawyers in the area that have graduated everywhere from Harvard to Cooley, and have been told by numerous attorneys in the area that they don't particularly care school rank in most circumstances).

But my soon to be fiance will be making a good amount of money, and we've been able to figure out a plan to get the loans paid back quickly and painlessly (but who knows how well that will work at this point). So starting salary isn't that big of a concern. I just enjoy the legal field and I love the area in which I grew up and want to raise a family there.

I like moot court because I enjoy writing briefs, and not to sound uppity or anything, I think that I'm pretty good at it. And I'm very competitive in nature so the moot court environment kind of feeds that desire to compete outside of the competition for grades.

I know I'm not a typical Whose house? KEN'S HOUSE. poster, but just thought I'd throw that in there just to clarify.
lol, what the heck is up with changing stuff I typed into other words? Potato for "f.irm" etc? lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Just a little addition, I'm not looking to get into big law. I know, I know... but it's never been my intention to do that type of law. I grew up in a relatively small town in northern WV (about 25-30,000), and would like to work for a small potato there (and there are firms hiring in the area, with not a whole lot of new lawyers really looking to set up shop in the area. A lot of older attorneys who have been practicing for a long time who I hope to learn from). I'm not at a tier 1 school either, and that doesn't matter much in the area where I plan to practice (There are lawyers in the area that have graduated everywhere from Harvard to Cooley, and have been told by numerous attorneys in the area that they don't particularly care school rank in most circumstances).

I know I'm not a typical Whose house? KEN'S HOUSE. poster, but just thought I'd throw that in there just to clarify.
So then why bother asking? General resume questions here usually refer to BlG Law, sometimes Government jobs. If this is specific to a very unique market, only people with particular knowledge of that market can answer that question.

Besides, no need to listen to our responses. If you enjoy it, go for it. My own words of advice - remember, you're a student. Enjoy this schedule while you have it. Even if you love working as a lawyer one day, the freedom you have now will not be one that you enjoy in your youth ever again.

Edit - there must be some lame April Fool's thing going on here changing B!G LAW to Whose House? Ken's House. Cool joke.

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:19 pm

DrGuano wrote:

So then why bother asking? General resume questions here usually refer to BlG Law, sometimes Government [ERROR: 404]. If this is specific to a very unique market, only people with particular knowledge of that market can answer that question.

Besides, no need to listen to our responses. If you enjoy it, go for it. My own words of advice - remember, you're a student. Enjoy this schedule while you have it. Even if you love working as a lawyer one day, the freedom you have now will not be one that you enjoy in your youth ever again.

Edit - there must be some lame April Fool's thing going on here changing B!G LAW to Whose House? Ken's House. Cool joke.
I realize that. And I appreciate your advice. It was a general question, and I was looking for general answers. There's a lot of conflicting things that I've heard that says one looks better than another etc. I was looking for what the general consensus is regarding the two, because I don't know if I should really push that aspect of my resume if most firms just don't care about it. Like I said, I'm the one who writes the briefs, so I figure that should be worth something. (But doesn't mean that is actually is)

Thanks again though. I appreciate your answer!

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:22 pm

I want to go into criminal law >> LR or moot court?

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:27 pm

blong4133 wrote:
DrGuano wrote:

So then why bother asking? General resume questions here usually refer to BlG Law, sometimes Government [ERROR: 404]. If this is specific to a very unique market, only people with particular knowledge of that market can answer that question.

I realize that. And I appreciate your advice. It was a general question, and I was looking for general answers. There's a lot of conflicting things that I've heard that says one looks better than another etc. I was looking for what the general consensus is regarding the two, because I don't know if I should really push that aspect of my resume if most firms just don't care about it. Like I said, I'm the one who writes the briefs, so I figure that should be worth something. (But doesn't mean that is actually is)

Thanks again though. I appreciate your answer!
I don't know what you mean by "pushing" that aspect of your resume. Just because employers aren't impressed by moot court as much as law review, doesn't mean they don't appreciate your zeal for writing briefs. While people I interviewed with liked that I was on Law Review, they never asked how well I footnoted. On the other hand, your brief writing skills are DEFINITELY something you should talk about and connect over. Your resume is just a flier to get you in the door - once you are in the interview, you don't need to stick to your resume. Your interviewer may start questioning you based on your resume, but it will likely go elsewhere over the course of the interview. If you can sell yourself based on that skill, the interview is the place to do it. But no need to worry about how prominent moot court should be on a resume. Stick it in activities and move on.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gigaton Punch

New

Post by Gigaton Punch » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:17 pm

Kind of off-topic, but what about being on board for law review? (note: i have offer for this summer). is that worth it, or just coast 3L?

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Gigaton Punch wrote:Kind of off-topic, but what about being on board for law review? (note: i have offer for this summer). is that worth it, or just coast 3L?
So many threads covering this - in a nutshell, do you want to clerk? do you want to try and "upgrade" firms during 3L OCI? If yes to either of those, then being on the board may confer a benefit to you down the road in those endeavors. If your answer is no, any benefit will likely be personal. As a fellow 2L on LR I chose to not run in favor of coasting.

It's the last year of your youth with minimal responsibility, a flexible schedule and a fair amount of personal time. Take advantage of that. Cherish it. LIVE DAMNIT!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”