Tips on Moving Cross Country Back and Forth for Summers?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Puttanesca

Tips on Moving Cross Country Back and Forth for Summers?

Postby Puttanesca » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:24 pm

I've seen threads on how to move cross country for law school, but haven't seen any about moving back and forth during summers. I'm attending school on the East Coast and will be working on the West Coast this summer (summer after 1L). I plan on working on the West Coast 2L summer as well as after graduation. My question is what to do about my car. I drove cross-country to move to law school, but am not sure that I want to do the drive 6 times (3 round trips), especially if I have to do the drive alone. I need a car in both the East and West Coast and don't have access to another car in either place.

Is driving back and forth the best option? Another option I was thinking of was to drive back to the West Coast in May, find a place to leave my car there, and lease a car for the remaining two years of law school in the East Coast. I could also leave my car in the East Coast and rent a car on the West Coast for the entire summer.

As far as costs go, driving round trip costs about $1700 including gas and hotel. Renting a car on the West Coast is $2200 for the summer, and a plane ticket for me would be around $500. No idea how much the leasing option would be.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

desertlaw

Re: Tips on Moving Cross Country Back and Forth for Summers?

Postby desertlaw » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:46 pm

I am somewhat in same situation, but have 2 cars because of the wife. But I can offer some advice.

1 - Does the firm offer to pay for the flights or traveling expenses? Most will for 2L SA's, but hopefully they might for you as a 1L also. So that expense for you during 2L summer will hopefully be paid by firm.

2 - You can always have the car shipped to west coast (I use Stateway Transport), fly there, and then your car will be there when you are. Problem with this is that it's about $1,000. Doing it 4 times (this summer and next) would be about $4,000 (great math) but would save you time and hotel costs of driving back and forth. But if firm pays for flights (like they should),

3 - I would suggest shipping or driving back n forth for 1L and 2L summer. But after 2L summer, sell the car on the west coast (remember, more mileage might mean you need to get new tires and value would go down, so that's why shipping might save you money). Save some of the money from selling the car and buy/lease a POS during your 3L. Then sell the car after 3L, because you'll need a UHaul to move across the country after graduation since I assume you'll have plenty of furniture and whatnot.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Why is road trip with a friend not an option?

Whenever me or one of my buddies has had to move across the country we always have another one of our friends fly out and drive with us. It is always a good time. I have done it twice for myself and three times with friends. You make it fun by stopping at interesting places and going out at night. I would actually say that it is one of the things that has kept us all close since college.

Our respective SO's understand the tradition and are usually willing to fly and avoid the hassle of moving to let us keep the tradition going.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:58 pm

I did the whole have a friend fly out and drive with me thing. My summer job was an 18 hour drive away from where I went to school. Worked out fine.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:08 am

Thanks, everyone, for the responses.

desertlaw wrote:I am somewhat in same situation, but have 2 cars because of the wife. But I can offer some advice.

1 - Does the firm offer to pay for the flights or traveling expenses?

Doing govt work this summer, so won't get any traveling expenses covered. Sorry, didn't make that clear. The word "summers" in the title could be misleading but I meant "summer" as in the season.

shoeshine wrote:Why is road trip with a friend not an option?

Because I have no friends. :(

But seriously, I would have to ask a friend to take 3 days off from work in order to do the trip. I feel bad about doing that. Also, I don't know if IB or consulting types (my friends) are able to take days off anyway, haha. I had someone drive with me on my move to law school and I have someone for the drive back in May, but I need to find either 4 more people or someone who would be willing to go more than once.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:54 am

What about 2L summer? Will you be with a firm then, hopefully?

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:57 pm

desertlaw wrote:What about 2L summer? Will you be with a firm then, hopefully?

My long term interest is government, but I plan on doing OGI/applying to firms outside of OGI in the summer/fall.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:56 am

Puttanesca wrote:
desertlaw wrote:What about 2L summer? Will you be with a firm then, hopefully?

My long term interest is government, but I plan on doing OGI/applying to firms outside of OGI in the summer/fall.

This. Make money your 2L summer because making money is a good thing and will make cross-country travel less difficult on your wallet.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”