kaplan bar review

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
zuluwarriors

kaplan bar review

Postby zuluwarriors » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 pm

i'm doing online only. would it be crazy to do kaplan instead of barbrai? ($3900 v. $1000 (got a discount))

tr8877

Re: kaplan bar review

Postby tr8877 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:46 pm

kaplan isnt bad. good call on the online too.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:41 am

it's a tough call when the price difference is so sharp. are you a good student at a good school? if so, the gamble will probably pay off.

if you're a median student though, at a decent school, BarBri is the way to go.

I'm at Fordham and the Kaplan pass rate is estimated to be around 12% lower than BarBris. It's only estimated because Kaplan doesn't publish its pass rate, but only 30 3Ls last year didn't take BarBri. BarBri's pass rate for Fordham was 91 with the school average at 89, so you can figure it out working backwards.

zuluwarriors

Postby zuluwarriors » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:03 pm

damn, that is a bit scary. i'm top 10% at gw but didnt take many bar courses...

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:31 pm

After using BarBri and Kaplan MPRE materials, I decided to go with Kaplan. Both products seemed adequate and the Kaplan course was substantially less expensive.

frost

Postby frost » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:38 pm

DrGuano wrote:I'm at Fordham and the Kaplan pass rate is estimated to be around 12% lower than BarBris. It's only estimated because Kaplan doesn't publish its pass rate, but only 30 3Ls last year didn't take BarBri. BarBri's pass rate for Fordham was 91 with the school average at 89, so you can figure it out working backwards.

I'm also at Fordham and the Office of Student Affairs said that last year's pass rate was 90.1%. The barbri rate was about the same, and a Kaplan rep told me that their pass rate was 95%. I think the 95% is misleading because so few people take Kaplan and people that take Kaplan (or other non-Barbri classes) tend to have done more research into their options. I'm deciding between Kaplan and Pieper but I agree with the above poster - I really disliked Barbri for the MPRE and their pushy reps in general. I've heard that if you actually study, you'll be fine regardless of which company.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”