I think I've lost my mind. Halp?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
td6624

I think I've lost my mind. Halp?

Postby td6624 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:43 pm

2L here. Already know what I'm doing after graduation (nothing glamorous but it will be fine in the long run). My grades don't matter anymore (unless something truly disastrous happens). But for some reason, my school related stress level seems higher than it has ever been for me.

I'm even still going to every class and reading for all of them (not closely but I think even doing it is more than a lot of other people are doing at this point). But I still think I'm going to fail all of my exams?

Could it just be because this semester I'm taking stuff that I really could not care less about? Or am I just so over the idea of law school that even though I'm showing up and reading, my brain has totally checked out and so I might actually fail (does anyone even fail though?)?

anyone else having this experience?

I should add that I don't do anything to make myself feel better about any of this. Like, say, trying to understand material or reading more carefully or paying more attention in class.

I really think I might just be going insane. I think it's the monotony. Or maybe I'm stressed about other things and I'm just pinning it on school because that's easier?

senorhosh

Re: I think I've lost my mind. Halp?

Postby senorhosh » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Are you a K-JD?
I think what a lot of law school students (or grad students in general) have is burnout. I'm an 0L so I don't know for sure. But I'm experiencing the same thing you are except I'm still in UG (5th year). My grades don't matter as much in terms of where I'll get in, but I'm stressing like no other. I think I kind of mentally checked out even though I'm doing same amount/more work than I have before.

I'm taking a year off and I hope that will help with my "senioritis". I don't think I would do as well in LS if I didn't take a year off, and I think a lot of K-JD students are just burned out IMO.

Again, I'm an 0L so take that into consideration.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:01 pm

senorhosh wrote:Are you a K-JD?
I think what a lot of law school students (or grad students in general) have is burnout. I'm an 0L so I don't know for sure. But I'm experiencing the same thing you are except I'm still in UG (5th year). My grades don't matter as much in terms of where I'll get in, but I'm stressing like no other. I think I kind of mentally checked out even though I'm doing same amount/more work than I have before.

I'm taking a year off and I hope that will help with my "senioritis". I don't think I would do as well in LS if I didn't take a year off, and I think a lot of K-JD students are just burned out IMO.

I am K-JD. Maybe it's some deeply rooted anxiety about not being in school anymore? But I really feel like even one more year of school is going to destroy me.

And my senior year in undergrad was the most stress-free time in my life.

I dunno. In my head I know I can walk into an exam, put a little effort into it, and get a B. And if I get all B's the rest of the way, that's fine.

But for some reason, my gut is telling me I'm going to literally fail.

Not computing.

Cinderella

Postby Cinderella » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:22 pm

td6624 wrote:
senorhosh wrote:Are you a K-JD?

I am K-JD. Maybe it's some deeply rooted anxiety about not being in school anymore? But I really feel like even one more year of school is going to destroy me.

And my senior year in undergrad was the most stress-free time in my life.

I dunno. In my head I know I can walk into an exam, put a little effort into it, and get a B. And if I get all B's the rest of the way, that's fine.

But for some reason, my gut is telling me I'm going to literally fail.

Not computing.

Yeah, I went through this senior year of college. It sounds like you're trying to stress yourself out to motivate yourself. But all you're doing is getting stressed without any corresponding increase in motivation (that’s what I did at least).

Maybe take some time to do the things you want, like go out with friends, watch movies, workout, etc.

Or try to look at school in a way you haven't up until now – try to make it meaningful, maybe by thinking about what skills you might be learning. Anything you can do to trick yourself into finding meaning in the work.

Aside from that, realize that it’s a phase, and it will go away.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:47 am

I'm a 2L, not a 0L, and I think it's normal and am going through something similar. I'm also NOT K-JD, so I don't think it has anything to do with that. I'd put it on part the monotony, part stress about other stuff, and part that they call 2L "work you to death" for a reason -- there's a lot of shit and it tends to be different from 1L.

I think the 2L's are really the ones that hate on law school more than 1L's (it's new!) and 3L's (whatever, I'm going drinking again) :lol:.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”