2L Courses: How Time Consuming are....

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

2L Courses: How Time Consuming are....

Postby croggs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:08 pm

I am planning to do Law Review for sure. I applied to be a TA for LRW, and I think there's a good chance I will be offered a position for that. However, I also wanted to do moot court, since I am uncertain about whether I'd prefer doing corporate or litigation. I spoke with my academic advisor, and she mentioned that Law Review and Moot Court in particular can be very time consuming (basically similar to LRW this semester). For the fall semester, Moot Court is a 2-hr course, LRW TA would be for 2-hrs, and Law Review would be for 1-hr.
I found LRW to be very time consuming compared to all of my substantive classes so far.

Can anyone weigh in on the type of time commitment any or all of these take?
How does the workload compare to second year substantive classes in general?
Bonus Q: Does Law Review look better than the other two on the resume? (I'm under the impression that it likely does)

FWIW: I am at a mid TT.

Thanks all!

Re: 2L Courses: How Time Consuming are....

Postby Geist13 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:12 pm

First of all, "I plan to do law review . . ." don't count your chickens dude. Even if you school grades on, you only have half those grades.

Second, you may receive 1 credit for law review. But I'd guess its somewhere around 5 credits worth of work. The first half of each semester 2L year I basically was only doing law review and little if any work for anything else. Whoever told you it was comparable to LRW is insane. When I had an editing assignment, I would spend more hours per week on that that I would spend on LRW over an entire semester.

Moot court may be two credits, but the people I know who did it confirmed that it was much less time than law review. I don't know anyone who did both, that's sounds borderline unmanageable (brief and law review Note?).

Law review looks much better on the resume. Well, employers think it does. It doesn't teach you a single thing of value, but they see it as a proxy for high achievement. Legal writing instructor, I don't know. I would guess interviewers tell people its something they like to see, but that they really don't give two shits about it.

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Are you a ninja dronebot who requires no sleep? If not, then drop something.

Postby leobowski » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Definitely drop moot court if you get on LR. TA is a tougher call (depending on the workload and whether you get paid).

Postby Miller32 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:11 pm

I wouldn't do moot court because I don't think it's worth the effort. But all the people who act like doing LR and other things on the side is life destroying just can't manage their time well. Sorry.

You're not going to be spending the same time you did preparing for class as you did 1L, and you understand the game of school much better. Work hard during the week. Sometimes you will have to do work on the weekends. But, for the most part, you'll be fine. Plus, you're at a T2 (as am I), you need to be doing everything you can to prop up your resume.

Postby wiseowl » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:32 am

Do you just want the TA for the money? That seems like the first one to go for me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”