Bar Prep - AmeriBar or Bar Bri?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Which bar prep program?

Bar Bri
63%
AmeriBar (for a cost of $600)
38%

Total votes: 8

studebaker07

Bar Prep - AmeriBar or Bar Bri?

Postby studebaker07 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:43 pm

I have the opportunity to take a Bar Prep Course through AmeriBar for super cheap (around $600). The program will offer me online audio lectures, outlines, test questions, and essay critique. I am hesitant only because everybody says "just do BarBri". On the other hand, BarBri looks super expensive and I am a little low on cash at the moment. Besides, I would like to work at least one-two days a week during bar prep.

Renzo

Re: Bar Prep - AmeriBar or Bar Bri?

Postby Renzo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:43 am

What jurisdiction? I spent an unreasonable amount of time looking into various bar study options, some of which are jdx-specific.

BarBri does everything it can to create fear that if you take any other prep course, you'll fail. That fear is one of the reasons they charge so much, and it's pretty much B.S.

However, your comment that you'd like to take a different course in order to work part time is dangerous. You do not want to work at all while studying for the bar if you can in any way avoid it. BarBri is good because it spoon-feeds you material, and tells you how much to study and when; if you take your studies seriously, and put in real time and effort, there is less advantage to this. But, if your thought is that you want to take a competitor class os you can slack (or work), you may be setting yourself up for failure.

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:31 pm

The jurisdiction is AZ.

The research I have done on BarBri makes me think that it is almost like a "study hall" kind of format where you go to a class in the morning, they give lectures on some topic, and then you have the afternoon to study. Is that really all the classroom component entails? If it is, I am compelled to just go with the AmeriBar course because I can get the same material on audio recordings. Besides, I can get access to the Ameribar materials as early as the first week of May, which is nearly three full weeks before my local BarBri course begins.

Thank you for the insight about not working. I was kind of ambivalent to the idea of working but the more I talk to other people, the more it sounds like a bad idea. I guess I am just going to bite the bullet and not work because I don't want to risk not passing.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:13 am

BarBri is way overpriced. Never heard of Ameribar, but it is probably good. Also, I wouldn't worry about working. I worked 45 hours a week up until the bar and did just fine with Themis. The bar is a lot of hype.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”